You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

Anime News Network asked Gio & Yasha to write an article about Utena, Empty Movement, and they totally called us superfans, omg. Think of it as a belated Valentine's to Utena, its fandom, and the excellent friendships we've made along the way. 20 Years of Utena Fandom with the Ultimate Superfans!!!

#1 | Back to Top02-20-2013 08:28:48 PM

HonorableShadow
Cow Bellhop
From: Ohio
Registered: 11-03-2006
Posts: 454
Website

New Utena stuff

I want it all. Why is the shipping Japan only? ;_;
Chu...


Rose tint my world...
Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.

Offline

 

#2 | Back to Top02-20-2013 08:37:43 PM

SheikFanel
Wakaba Wrangler
From: NY
Registered: 02-15-2013
Posts: 18
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

I was just looking at this..I was super happy freaking out...followed by nerd raging and the sobbing on tumblr. >_< I'm sooo upset. I would love to have the teacup and the music box...and just everything but those the most...

Maybe there's a service that will buy the items and ship them for us? T_T sure it adds in price but still.

Offline

 

#3 | Back to Top02-21-2013 05:49:55 AM

Pinchi
Miki Molester
From: Santiago, Chile
Registered: 02-12-2013
Posts: 30

Re: New Utena stuff

Very interesting. what music will play the music box, I wonder?
The ring looks awesome! Of course, is the most expensive emot-frown. I thought the teacup would be a replica of the one of the series, so I'm not really impressed about it.



...Why am I lying? I want everything too! emot-frown

Last edited by Pinchi (02-21-2013 05:54:09 AM)

Offline

 

#4 | Back to Top02-21-2013 08:21:18 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
From: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Registered: 10-15-2006
Posts: 5929
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

Chu... is still around, and I've used them before. They were really good.

If you guys really want, you could contact them and see if they would be willing to get these things for you.

Kind of unrelated, but this makes me wish we had some contact with the japanese fandom, if it's even there anymore. It must be if they're still churning out goods and having art displays.


Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Smaugvoice: MY POSTS     ARE WARSHIPS

Internet Atrocity Tourist

Offline

 

#5 | Back to Top02-22-2013 12:53:38 AM

SheikFanel
Wakaba Wrangler
From: NY
Registered: 02-15-2013
Posts: 18
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

Has anyone seen  Chu...? I really love this doll but I'm sure it'll be very, super expensive..
I've read it may be in the $600s on tumblr considering the prices of other dolls they sell.

Offline

 

#6 | Back to Top02-22-2013 01:41:25 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
From: Brisbane
Registered: 10-31-2012
Posts: 194

Re: New Utena stuff

SheikFanel wrote:

Has anyone seen  Chu...? I really love this doll but I'm sure it'll be very, super expensive..
I've read it may be in the $600s on tumblr considering the prices of other dolls they sell.

Forgive me for saying this but I don't like the proportions of the doll, I'll admit it look great from a production standpoint; but it dwells into the uncanny valley for me from a aesthetic point.

Off-topic: Chiho Saito is a great Manga artist:
Most of her colour artwork is the definition of realism without dwelling into the uncanny valley; her style of shading help too, she puts a lot of effort into her artwork, now if only the TV-series can have the detail of her colored artwork instead of it generic animation & coloring style due to the show's low budget.

Offline

 

#7 | Back to Top02-22-2013 01:49:21 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
From: Brisbane
Registered: 04-21-2009
Posts: 1169
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

Yasha wrote:

Chu... is still around, and I've used them before. They were really good.

If you guys really want, you could contact them and see if they would be willing to get these things for you.

Kind of unrelated, but this makes me wish we had some contact with the japanese fandom, if it's even there anymore. It must be if they're still churning out goods and having art displays.

Out of curiosity, d'you think it'd be possible to organise a group order, save time and worry? I want me some tea cups...

Offline

 

#8 | Back to Top02-22-2013 01:57:16 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
From: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Registered: 10-15-2006
Posts: 5929
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

I wouldn't be opposed to doing it on the forum. But then, I'm saying this without any knowledge of how to proceed. If a bunch of people are interested, we can look into it, but it will probably involve everyone paypalling money to me and me making a mass order, then shipping out individually from Canada (which may cost more-- japanese imports are cheaper here, but shipping to the states is added cost), or something like that. If everyone's okay with that, I am too, provided Gio doesn't bitch about it. And we may be able to find someone to ship in the states. I wouldn't want to speak for anyone without consulting.

So, uhh, after that jumble, let me just say if there's a lot of interest we can consider it. We have some options.


Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Smaugvoice: MY POSTS     ARE WARSHIPS

Internet Atrocity Tourist

Offline

 

#9 | Back to Top02-22-2013 02:12:17 AM

SheikFanel
Wakaba Wrangler
From: NY
Registered: 02-15-2013
Posts: 18
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

Rosesareawesome101 wrote:

SheikFanel wrote:

Has anyone seen  Chu...? I really love this doll but I'm sure it'll be very, super expensive..
I've read it may be in the $600s on tumblr considering the prices of other dolls they sell.

Forgive me for saying this but I don't like the proportions of the doll, I'll admit it look great from a production standpoint; but it dwells into the uncanny valley for me from a aesthetic point.

Off-topic: Chiho Saito is a great Manga artist:
Most of her colour artwork is the definition of realism without dwelling into the uncanny valley; her style of shading help too, she puts a lot of effort into her artwork, now if only the TV-series can have the detail of her colored artwork instead of it generic animation & coloring style due to the show's low budget.

I see what you mean with the proportions. The legs in Utena are very thin and long so being converted into a doll, it does look a little funky. I still really like it though..I'm more of a fan of the eyes, clothing and her accessories.


For a group order,  I may be interested I'm from the US though so it adds to my costs..so yeah have to think about it and look into other possible options.

Offline

 

#10 | Back to Top02-22-2013 02:16:37 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
From: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Registered: 10-15-2006
Posts: 5929
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

I'd never try to do anything that wasn't in everyone's best interests. Just keep in mind that I haven't asked around and there may be someone in the states that's willing to receive and individually ship out merch.


Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Smaugvoice: MY POSTS     ARE WARSHIPS

Internet Atrocity Tourist

Offline

 

#11 | Back to Top02-22-2013 08:50:13 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Registered: 04-11-2012
Posts: 1286
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

article wrote:

Finally, an Utena cell phone strap. It’s the least expensive, at 840 yen ($9). The strap is due out in April.

Somehow, this item is designed in a way that reminds me more of Penguindrum than SKU.  Ah, I know: the texture and shapes are reminding me of MP's "yellow star" motif.


(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Updated to Part 40 as of Nov 05, 2016)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
Chu... or  Chu...

Offline

 

#12 | Back to Top02-22-2013 09:48:26 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess
Registered: 04-09-2007
Posts: 2700

Re: New Utena stuff

I feel weird that I've got to a point where I see that swag and don't think "I can buy those!" but "I can buy those for X and Y, and XY; they'll love it!" Where'd my greed go?

I want those tea cups bad, though, so I haven't lost it completely.


My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Offline

 

#13 | Back to Top02-22-2013 01:42:19 PM

Aelanie
Pathtracer
Registered: 02-04-2009
Posts: 359

Re: New Utena stuff

Very interesting, but badly in need of better pictures of the goods - such as actual photographs of the ring, not just concepts. Given the fundamentally overpriced nature of Japan's anime merchandise, I'd sure like to see how it stands up quality-wise to the Nozomi ring, which I personally am thoroughly satisfied with (so satisfied I bought five more at $10 from the company, which was apparently not supposed to be allowed, so I got very lucky!)

The teacup is also definitely something I'd love to have as a tea fanatic, but it's probably tiny (again, really no way to tell from the one miniscule picture) and I brew tea by the pint, so...

Last edited by Aelanie (02-22-2013 01:43:07 PM)

Offline

 

#14 | Back to Top02-22-2013 07:21:18 PM

SheikFanel
Wakaba Wrangler
From: NY
Registered: 02-15-2013
Posts: 18
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

Aelanie wrote:

Very interesting, but badly in need of better pictures of the goods - such as actual photographs of the ring, not just concepts. Given the fundamentally overpriced nature of Japan's anime merchandise, I'd sure like to see how it stands up quality-wise to the Nozomi ring, which I personally am thoroughly satisfied with (so satisfied I bought five more at $10 from the company, which was apparently not supposed to be allowed, so I got very lucky!)

The teacup is also definitely something I'd love to have as a tea fanatic, but it's probably tiny (again, really no way to tell from the one miniscule picture) and I brew tea by the pint, so...

I have to ask, how did you do that? I still have the one from RightStuf but I worry mine will get scratched up. Having extras would be nice..

Offline

 

#15 | Back to Top02-22-2013 08:03:37 PM

Seen
Touga Topper
Registered: 07-19-2011
Posts: 59

Re: New Utena stuff

Wow, most of this stuff is pretty cheap, considering how expensive anime merch usually is. That music box is the most interesting one, to me.

Rosesareawesome101 wrote:

Most of her colour artwork is the definition of realism without dwelling into the uncanny valley; her style of shading help too, she puts a lot of effort into her artwork, now if only the TV-series can have the detail of her colored artwork instead of it generic animation & coloring style due to the show's low budget.

I will disagree until the end of time with you on that. Ikuhara had Shinya Hasegawa work over and over again on the artstyle in the planning stages, he wanted it to be an artstyle that could be both unique and true to Saito's style. It is the exact opposite of "generic." Plus, not even Disney has the money to have something fully animated in soft-shading like you see in manga artwork.

Offline

 

#16 | Back to Top02-22-2013 09:55:55 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
From: Missouri, United States
Registered: 03-01-2007
Posts: 1219
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

Yasha wrote:

Chu... is still around, and I've used them before. They were really good.

If you guys really want, you could contact them and see if they would be willing to get these things for you.

Kind of unrelated, but this makes me wish we had some contact with the japanese fandom, if it's even there anymore. It must be if they're still churning out goods and having art displays.

TAKE MY MONEY I MUST HAVE A RING.


Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

Chu...
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

Offline

 

#17 | Back to Top02-23-2013 05:31:44 AM

Aelanie
Pathtracer
Registered: 02-04-2009
Posts: 359

Re: New Utena stuff

SheikFanel wrote:

Aelanie wrote:

Very interesting, but badly in need of better pictures of the goods - such as actual photographs of the ring, not just concepts. Given the fundamentally overpriced nature of Japan's anime merchandise, I'd sure like to see how it stands up quality-wise to the Nozomi ring, which I personally am thoroughly satisfied with (so satisfied I bought five more at $10 from the company, which was apparently not supposed to be allowed, so I got very lucky!)

The teacup is also definitely something I'd love to have as a tea fanatic, but it's probably tiny (again, really no way to tell from the one miniscule picture) and I brew tea by the pint, so...

I have to ask, how did you do that? I still have the one from RightStuf but I worry mine will get scratched up. Having extras would be nice..

You can read all about it in this thread:  Chu...

I myself will always wonder what really happened.

Offline

 

#18 | Back to Top02-23-2013 09:32:28 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
From: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Registered: 10-15-2006
Posts: 5929
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

So, we have what, three, maybe four people that want stuff? Eventually I'll make an announcement or something about this, once I figure out the best way to do this.

So far, what I have found out is that shipping from Canada won't save anyone any money, not even me. So that's out. Once I have the facts I will make a plan or a couple plan variations, figure out shipping costs and such.


Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Smaugvoice: MY POSTS     ARE WARSHIPS

Internet Atrocity Tourist

Offline

 

#19 | Back to Top04-20-2013 06:03:25 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
From: Brisbane
Registered: 04-21-2009
Posts: 1169
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

Good news, everyone! The tea cups have appeared on eBay!

Bad news, everybody! They're priced at US$70!

Offline

 

#20 | Back to Top04-20-2013 08:07:46 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
From: Westminster, CO
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 1152
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

Those tea cups would well with my black teapot. Do want. etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love


"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

Offline

 

#21 | Back to Top04-21-2013 02:27:08 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
From: Brisbane
Registered: 04-21-2009
Posts: 1169
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

I've looked on JP auctions; they're all selling in the vicinity of $20 or under. I understand a mark up, hell, I understand highway robbery. But a $50 mark up? The fuck? For the price of a single cup I could get three or four of from JP. If I had the money I'd seriously be looking at a carriage service right now.

Offline

 

#22 | Back to Top04-29-2013 11:22:53 PM

Kirin Lemon
Saionji Slapper
Registered: 04-29-2013
Posts: 23

Re: New Utena stuff

It's times like this that I'm so happy to have friends residing in Japan.  I just ordered the teacup, book, phone charm, and music box.  And I'll be moving to Japan myself in July, where I'll have some awesome merch waiting for me.  C'mon, Movic, make more of this stuff!

Offline

 

#23 | Back to Top05-01-2013 02:59:38 PM

cscratch
Touga Topper
From: US
Registered: 07-07-2008
Posts: 59
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

Late to the party on this one, but it looks like CDJapan ( Chu...) has some of this merch available now & for pre-order.  It looks like they will ship just about anywhere.

Here is the signet:   Chu...

Doesn't look like they have the teacup, but they do have the Blu-ray Discs & some cool t-shirts up for sale.

Also, I was able to snag one of the teacups for about $35 USD via a deputy with commission on Yahoo! Japan.  I think even with shipping, it will be cheaper than $70 a piece off Ebay.

Last edited by cscratch (05-01-2013 03:01:24 PM)

Offline

 

#24 | Back to Top05-01-2013 04:57:19 PM

HonorableShadow
Cow Bellhop
From: Ohio
Registered: 11-03-2006
Posts: 454
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

I ended up buying some shirts. I have so much Mawaru Penguindrum merchandise and I've always felt bad that I didn't own more Utena stuff.  So now is my chance. Thanks for posting the link. emot-biggrin


Rose tint my world...
Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.

Offline

 

#25 | Back to Top05-13-2013 02:04:42 PM

kj924
Wakaba Wrangler
Registered: 05-11-2013
Posts: 19

Re: New Utena stuff

Omigosh!!! I want them so bad!! Everything!

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement