You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

GUYS GUYS I JUST UPLOADED THE 1997 UTENA MUSICAL IN HIGH DEFINITION straight from the Japanese Blu-rays! i am now very tired goodnight

Also, our Secret Santa is going on! Come join in the fun!

#151 | Back to Top07-17-2012 12:46:24 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: The Legend of Korra Thread

EFFING SQUEE

#152 | Back to Top07-20-2012 10:36:34 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

So, there is sort of a trailer for book two on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDaqbIBC_ts

It's not full animation yet though, it's all pencil animation. I was really happy about seeing Asami in it, esepcially the part where she mentions going to the South Pole. Does this mean we will get friendship development for her and Korra? I hope so.

#153 | Back to Top07-20-2012 10:57:03 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Korra and Asami definitely need to become friends, and Mako and Bolin better get some more development--Mako, so he's not so bland, and Bolin so he's not just sidelined as comic relief. I do think that all of the above will happen, though, since Bryke actually has the episode count now to throw in all of the delicious character development and writing that they did so well in A:TLA.

(And Tahno MUST come back in all of his arrogant glory. Please!)

Thanks for posting the link, CausalityStar! That Spirit-Beast-thing looks interesting!

#154 | Back to Top07-21-2012 12:51:40 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@Crystalline_Dream

You're welcome! Yes, I want more character development too. Mako and the whole love triangle thing was rather bland and boring, so hopefully Mako will get some character development outside of being Korra's boy-toy. I'm not saying they have to break up, but I ended up not really caring for Makorra at all and being baffled why Korra even found him so appealing in the first place. They also really need to work on that whole intentionally making Mako into a jerkbender thing too.

Totally agree about Bolin too. I like him because he's a nice person, but he needs to get his own chance to do things and not just be comic relief. Sokka in the last series was the comic relief person, but he was also so much more than that. He was a smart person and once he got some training, he was a good warrior. I also loved his sibling relationship with Katara. I don't really get any sibling relationship feels from Mako and Bolin, so I hope that changes.

Oh yes, I want Tahno back badly too. He was a fun character and he had so much potential to join Team Avatar after episode six that unfortunately never happened. (Bad Bryke...)

I'd be interesting in seeing him come back and seeing him still be kinda arrogant and flamboyant, but maybe a little nicer and having a soft spot for Korra thanks to her restoring his bending.

Yes, at the very least I want Korrasami friendship. I think it would be cool if they went on a plane ride together.

#155 | Back to Top07-21-2012 01:14:28 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

@CausalityStar

My God. Get out of my head. emot-keke I have to say that I agree with everything.

I started out all for Makorra, but as the series went on it just became less and less appealing. I also questioned what Korra saw in him. Perhaps it was his firebending prowess, his looks, or his backstory--or maybe he was one of the only guys her age she'd ever been exposed to (I guess Bolin was too unequivocally nice for her), being cloistered in the South Pole and all.

And Sokka was also genuinely funny (most of the time). I find a lot of the Bolin stuff to be forced and often out of place. Though that gets me thinking...is Bolin's humor somewhat of a defense mechanism stemming from the pain in his past? (I've also, among others, doubted if the brothers are really even related at all.)

There's a huge Tahno fanbase from what I've seen online, so I can't believe that Bryke wouldn't at least consider giving him more screentime. Like you said, there's so much potential for him! A Tahno who still rocks the 'tude but becomes more genuinely kind would make my life.

Did you see Asami's face at the end of her part of the animatic? It looked so sad! She has to keep Future Industries afloat by not only driving production  but also clearing the name that's been tarnished after her father's arrest. She and Korra have great responsibilities, and I think they compliment each other well. And a plane ride would be fantastic. Especially because Asami has Amelia Earhart getup now. emot-biggrin

#156 | Back to Top07-21-2012 03:41:30 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@Crystalline_Dream

It is fun to share brains with another person on the internet, lol. I never really did ship Makorra in the first place, but I find it interesting that I've talked to a lot of people like you who used to like it, but then disliked it because of how badly it was written. I actually didn't think it would become canon since episode four had all of that Mako/Asami stuff. Of course, then in episode five Korra has suddenly liked Mako since 5ever for no explanation. And it wasn't the fact that she liked him a little that put me off of the ship, but the fact that they TOLD us that Korra liked him in the episodes introduction, rather than SHOWING us that she liked him. Plus, I find it unrealistic that Korra not only likes him, but actually believes that they're soul-mates after only knowing him for what, a few weeks? (The timeline is a little fuzzy thanks to the pacing issues.)

And then of course the fact that Bolin and Asami's feelings got disrespected to make Makorra happen really made me dislike it. Why make Mako and Asami a couple in the first place when they can't even take a few minutes to have them properly break up? Asami getting a half-assed passive voice apology from Mako and them being all "I still care about you." is NOT a breakup. I say passive voice apology because Mako says that "Things got messed up" rather than "I messed up." Mako always apologizes to people in the passive voice, which is the way that politicians like to talk to avoid too much responsibly for their actions. Him doing that really annoyed me.

Also, why bother to have Bolin have a crush on Korra if he's just going to get over it off-screen? That doesn't make much sense, especially because they could've shown Bolin moving on and learning an important lessons that romances don't always work out.

I like your idea that Bolin's humor is a defense mechanism. I think that could lead to some interesting character development. Bolin's voice actor did say Bolin will get more character development next season, so I look forward to it.

Do you doubt that Mako and Bolin are related because of sibling bond issues? That's understandable, especially because Mako apparently raised Bolin since they were little, so you'd think they'd be closer. The only time I got sibling feels from them was in episode three where Mako brings Bolin his favorite dumplings and then they have the dramatic rescue.

Well, I hope Bryke will consider bringing Tahno back at some point. I don't have much hope of seeing him in season two, as that season was being written before they knew how popular Tahno would be. But, since the series just got renewed for four seasons, maybe Tahno would show up. They did bring back Suki and June due to fan popularity and they did it in a way where both of them contributed something significant to the plot. Maybe they can do the same for Tahno too.

Yes, I feel bad for Asami in that video. I always like angsty characters, which probably explains why I like her and Tahno so much. I really hope we get that plane ride. Korrasami actually become my favorite ship for the series, but I didn't ever think it would become canon because according to Nickelodeon, LGBT people don't exist.

#157 | Back to Top07-23-2012 09:47:19 AM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Soooo.... after reviewing the animatics I have a question that was brought up somewhere on the internet...

We see Korra go into the Avatar state with apparent ease...  but Aang had to release his chakras and so on before he could control the Avatar State. I'm pretty sure there Korra hasn't done that (unless Katara really is that great of a healer -___-)) I don't know which episode(s) the animatics are from, so it's possible she had a few sessions with that spiritual uncle of hers...

Anyway, the internet-person thought that her ability to slide into the Avatar state might be a conflict, as she uses it for even the most mundane things (i.e. to win the air race with the airbending kids.) Because she can use it at will, she may lack the motivation to really look into the spiritual side of her Avatar duties. It seems Korra has a lot of abilities that she can easily grasp, and her problems come from her physical strength overpowering her mental and emotional states. We've known she needs balance as an Avatar since episode 1, and several times Korra has thrown bending fits (temper tantrums? YES), destroying (or in the arena, attacking) whatever is nearby because she can not handle her feelings well. Even in those times it is apparent that firebending artifacts, news paper, or earthbending at a messenger, did not solve anything at all. She hasn't learned control, and she won't unless she learns to channel her emotions in a different way. Her being can not be harmonized until this happens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#158 | Back to Top07-25-2012 07:52:32 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@Melancholic_Soul

Everything you said makes a lot of sense. I do hope we get some focus on Korra learning to deal with her firebending temper tantrums and spiritual things. Maybe the spirit monsters are pissed at her for using the Avatar State for mundane things instead of reserving it's use for when it's really needed? Remember, if an Avatar dies when s/he is in the Avatar State, then no more reincarnation cycle.

Speaking of Korra's firebending...do you all remember when she makes this face here: http://hdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia. … 1/0704.jpg

in the first episode? I think it would be interesting if she was some sort of closeted pyromaniac.

Korra's going to be spending time in the Northern Water Tribe, right? I'm curious as to whether they're less sexist over there than when Katara visited. Katara had to deal with a lot of sexist BS in order to learn to waterbend, so I wonder if Pakku agreeing to teach Katara meant that other women who wanted to learn more waterbending besides healing were able to do so. Similarly, it didn't seem to be socially acceptable for men to be healers, so maybe now male waterbenders can do that if they want to.

Plus, when Katara was dueling Pakku, a lot of people in the background were rooting for her, including men. So, I'm just wondering if Katara standing up for herself and being awesome sparked any lasting social justice in the Northern Water Tribe.

#159 | Back to Top07-26-2012 12:58:53 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

CausalityStar wrote:

I think it would be interesting if she was some sort of closeted pyromaniac.

I think the closet is made out of Plexiglas.

#160 | Back to Top07-26-2012 10:05:38 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I also don't wonder if part of Korra's use of the Avatar State won't have something to do with her self-confidence.  Her own abilities couldn't stop Amon from taking her bending and getting away -but the Avatar State is an easy fix, hell, it's what "fixed" her.  She may fall back on the Avatar State out of her own fear and self-doubt, and the Avatar State is so incredibly powerful, and usually taken as a mark of a Fully Realized Avatar, that it hides those fears from others.

#161 | Back to Top07-26-2012 12:23:59 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

satyreyes wrote:

CausalityStar wrote:

I think it would be interesting if she was some sort of closeted pyromaniac.

I think the closet is made out of Plexiglas.

lol yes, yes it is.
Yes Star, that face is bat-stuff crazy. It's a bit unnerving if you stare at it long enough.
--I hope that there has been some social change in the Northern Water Tribe. It has been nearly a century since Katara first visited, so even if Katara left only a small mark, the women there might have started a revolution of their own. In case that didn't happen, I'm sure Korra would be glad to shatter a few traditions here and there.

OITL wrote:

I also don't wonder if part of Korra's use of the Avatar State won't have something to do with her self-confidence.

That makes sense to me. If Korra gets too deep into thought she might realize this as well. Using the Avatar State as a crutch is not a good idea. I think that somewhere in our young Avatar lurks feelings of incompetence. I was watching Book 2 of ATLA this week, and Aang would be forced into the Avatar State by rage and overpowering emotions. I've always thought that anger is the fuel behind Korra's fire. She reminds me of Zuko in that way. I wonder if one day she too will have to meet the original masters?

That reminds me of something that kind of nagged at me about Korra. She's a TERRIBLE public speaker. Well, really she's only terrible with the bits that she lacks passion about. Korra is very passionate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999

#162 | Back to Top07-26-2012 02:45:42 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

The first season had its flaws, especially a rushed feeling, too much focus on romance, and a lack of character development. However, I think the characters have plenty of potential to be developed further in season 2, so I still look forward to it. I enjoyed the first season finale and loved Amon and Tarrlok as characters. I don't think this show is as good as the original Avatar, but I'll give it a chance. It's fun, and I like Korra as a protagonist... as long as she goes through some character development.

Last edited by Like_Autumn (07-26-2012 02:46:17 PM)

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#163 | Back to Top07-27-2012 10:38:13 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@Like_Autum

Yes, more character development and less love dodecahedrons please, especially because the romance in the first series resulted in character regression rather than character development. Since season two is supposed to focus on the spirit world, I hope that means a lot of character development for Korra. I also got the impression that since Mako will be a cop and Korra will be doing spiritual stuff, that means that they'll be spending time apart which is a good thing because they both need character development OUTSIDE of their relationship. Especially Mako, because he felt like a badly-written slightly jerkass tool for a bad romantic subplot the entire first season. I just hope that them spending time apart doesn't mean excessive angsty scenes where they spend an insane amount of time longing for each other's company. emot-rolleyes

I heard that Bolin will be getting character development too, which is great. I'd like to see him not be in everyone else's shadow all the time. The latest I heard about him is that he's involved in a "weird" romance too...so does that mean that Bolin/Spirit World Monster will be canon? http://strixmoonwing.deviantart.com/art … -314850900

Also, he's couching the new Fire Ferrets team which Korra and Mako are not apart of. (Can Tahno please be on the team?)

Yes, Amon and Tarrlok ended up being the most interesting characters in the series. Still, I would've liked to know what Amon was up too during all those years when he ran away. Did he start the Equalist Movement because he believed that bending was wrong, or did he do it to be more powerful than the Avatar? Maybe it was a little bit of both. 

@Melancholic_Soul

Yes, Korra would be happy to shatter some sexist beliefs. I think it would be interesting if Korra's pyromania tenancies are actually acknowledged in-universe.

#164 | Back to Top07-27-2012 11:55:29 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

If no one minds my taking a brief detour into the Shaved Ice Lounge, I thought I would share something with you.  Once I spotted the joke it was a foregone conclusion that I'd run with it.

#165 | Back to Top07-28-2012 10:45:26 PM

Grinning Maniac
Mikage Mistruster
Website

Finished The Last Airbender a few weeks ago finally. Loved it. Started in on Korra today and made it through the two-part pilot. Amazing stuff. Not looking forward to the whole Korra/Mako, girl chasing the "bad boy"/love triangle nonsense.... but meh. I'm not reading any of this thread for spoilers, but as I am the local merchant (MY CABBAGES!!!!)... just thought I'd tease a bit...

SOON:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/599867_502019829813865_43705514_n.jpg

#166 | Back to Top07-29-2012 10:37:39 AM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Oh Wow ^ Let us know when that hits your online shop. I'm seriously interested in that.

@ Satyr
lol I thought that was brilliant. My friend likes to give Avatar Kyoshi this bad-ass voice and we have this entire comical lore surrounding her. We're pretty sure Koh tried to steal her face, and he got pimp slapped for it.

[edited for language]

Last edited by Melancholic_Soul (07-29-2012 10:45:32 AM)

#167 | Back to Top07-29-2012 11:20:20 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@Grinning Maniac

At least you'll be prepared for the whole love triangle. It took me by surprise and I was all "WTF did this show turn into a teenage soap opera." I myself wouldn't exactly characterize Mako as a "bad boy". He does become a jerkface later on, but I feel he's too flat to fit into the bad boy archetype.

But there is some cool stuff later on, you just have to learn how to block out the love triangle OR make fun of it. I for one enjoy making fun of it.

@Melancholic_Soul

I accept your headcanon about Kyoshi. Have you been here on tumblr: http://kyoshiscommentary.tumblr.com/

It hasn't been updated in a while, but it is pretty funny. Kyoshi encourages Korra to bathe in the blood of her enemies and after episode 10 she leaves the Spirit World for a while to "fuck up a certain masked bitch-face".

(You see, Kyoshi has a bit of a crush on Lin.)

#168 | Back to Top07-29-2012 01:50:14 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

The thing is, everything about Mako would have worked provided one thing.  That he treated other people the same way he treated Korra when he first met her. 

After that point he never again misjudges or is flippant towards anyone.... kinda the opposite, in fact.  Now, if they had mentioned that the incident with him labeling Korra as 'just another fangirl' taught him a sort of lesson about assumptions, that would be a whole different matter, it would be character development.  But that isn't the case.  Instead it feels like Mako brushing Korra off was written in solely to paint him as the cold asshole with a heart of gold, which isn't consistent with his character because he's only written this way whenever he and Korra interact.  Otherwise he is actually a very nice, engaging guy.  A little easily weirded out and annoyed, but not unfriendly.  Stern with his brother but just as willing to goof off with him in Asami's pool.

It annoys me just as much as female characters who are typically assertive and confident being written as submissive and shy ONLY when around the male love interest.  It's usually done as a tactless way of reminding the audience that the character is still a desirable female (based on the problematic thinking that men find submissive, shy, or frail women attractive), while in Mako's case him being written like that is based on just as faulty an idea.  It's done to remind the audience that he's a desirable male (based on the problematic thinking that girls want bad boys and men that they can 'fix', that being dismissive is code for depth).

As said, it would change everything about the dynamic between he and Korra if it had been shown or hinted that Mako tends to be the type of person who usually, say due to he and his brothers' economic struggles, doesn't typically get what he wants, so when he wants something (Korra) he automatically assumes he won't get it or it won't work out, and sour grapes and all that.  Or that when proven wrong or humiliated he has trouble apologizing and following through on that apology.  Mayhaps because living on the street, you don't apologize -that is weakness- and because for Mako mistakes were not something you could make without serious consequences.  Misjudging Korra, and to find out she's a person of status, and power, and dominance, is humiliating and brings out that old side of him.  Put up a tough front and don't show weakness in front of this new, powerful person.  And then, wouldn't it make all the more sense for THIS type of person to have the trouble he did working out his relationship troubles with Asami and Korra, this person who is bad at apologizing to powerful (Asami is powerful) people, who fears loss and risk so greatly? Wouldn't it make sense for this type of person to more easily accept Asami's advances than Korra's offer because Asami right from the get go showed interest and acceptance, seemed to be less of a risk?

See, lots of fun character theorizing!

But none of that is hinted to be true in the show, and so instead Mako and Korra's first meeting and his initial behavior toward her set a tone for the rest of their relationship.   As the typical stoic guy who warms up to the persistent and heartbroken girl, who we see change but we don't see WHY these changes occur. 

Contrast to the meeting of Korra and Bolin.  I'm not by any means a shipper of these two, but holy crap.  Ten seconds on screen together and they have wonderful chemistry- not necessarily romantic, but chemistry none the less.  You know, as in you like seeing these two interact because they are funny and entertaining and work off of each other.  I wish I had a clip of the banter they shared in front of Toza, but it was awesome.  It was the opposite of the set up between Korra and Mako, in that it felt natural and unpretentious.

There is a lot of great material between Mako and Korra.  How each of them has what the other wants in their lives -Mako has freedom, and Korra has security and power.  How their backgrounds conflict.  Mako as the cool headed firebender and Korra the hotheaded Water Tribe girl.  How Mako inspires Korra because he uses his gifts to protect people he loves, and how that may be the kind of purpose and direction Korra feels has been missing in her life despite her talent.  Mako's street smarts and people skills (once again, he's only a distant asshole to Korra) versus her bending talent and fearlessness.  Opposites attract is a wonderful and engaging type of relationship whether or not it holds true in real life, but as mentioned, the focus on Korra and Mako is centered more around the cliches of love triangles, teenage romance and will-they-won't-they manipulative and transparent attempts at tension. 

They have two characters that would work great in a relationship and be a joy to watch do so... but they don't execute it well.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (07-29-2012 02:17:10 PM)

#169 | Back to Top07-29-2012 05:34:37 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

CausalityStar wrote:

@Melancholic_Soul

I accept your headcanon about Kyoshi. Have you been here on tumblr: http://kyoshiscommentary.tumblr.com/

It hasn't been updated in a while, but it is pretty funny. Kyoshi encourages Korra to bathe in the blood of her enemies and after episode 10 she leaves the Spirit World for a while to "fuck up a certain masked bitch-face".

(You see, Kyoshi has a bit of a crush on Lin.)

This is possibly the most hilarious thing I've been directed to. I've been reading for the last half hour

#170 | Back to Top07-30-2012 01:13:48 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@OnlyInThisLight

Yes, everything you said made perfect sense.

I hate how this show falls into the archetype that an assertive woman must be shy around her male love interest because otherwise she'll be unlikable. Seriously, I find it ironic that this a supposed to be a progressive show with a woman of color as the protagonist, and yet there were no women on the writing staff. I think that MAYBE if they had had some ladies doing some writing, than Mako's character wouldn't have been so damn inconsistent and the romance wouldn't have fallen into the crappy cliches about how only shy/submissive women are desirable to men and how only "bad boy" types are desirable to women. (I say maybe because there are women who love those cliches and believe them. However, I've noticed that most people who I talk to who are annoyed with how the romance and Mako's character were handled are women. Usually in the 20+ age range, but there are exceptions.)

Once again, like many other things on the series, Mako's character is wasted potential. With Amon and Tarrlok, it's pretty clear how their back-story ties in to their behavior today. With Mako, there's not really any connection between his past and how he handles his relationships. I like your idea of how Mako could have the belief that apologizing=weakness due to growing up on the streets, but sadly they never show anything like this in the actual show.

Well, I guess one romantic cliche that this show breaks a little is the jealously thing. When Asami finds out about Mako kissing Korra, she doesn't flip out on Korra. Instead, about 98% of her anger is directed at Mako, which I really liked. (Asami, why u so awesome?)

Mako and Korra had the potential to have an interesting relationship and unfortunately it was executed poorly like you said.

I love Bolin and Korra's interactions too! They have such great chemistry together and their relationship doesn't feel forced or contrived at all. I really hope we get more Bolin/Korra friendship next season.

@Melancholic_Soul

I'm happy you like that blog!

#171 | Back to Top07-30-2012 05:22:25 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I kinda wonder if part of Asami's actions concerning the love triangle were not heavily influenced by her, on some level, drawing parallels between her, Mako and Korra to her, her father and her mother.  I mean, she's been dating Mako for such a short amount of time, if you get the strong feeling that he doesn't love you back or is torn between you and another girl, the rational choice is just to break up with him.  But she doesn't. 

And she doesn't direct her anger at Korra, which is surprising because Korra partook in the kiss Asami heard from Bolin about.  Nomatter how nice and progressive and logical a person is, there would still be some amount of feelings of hurt, resentment and betrayal towards someone, anyone, in Korra's position.  It's entirely human.

UNLESS.

Asami sees Korra as her mother. 

No don't leave. Come back, come back I'm going somewhere with this, I promise.

Think about it.  Hiroshi abandons Asami, while still telling her he loves her, in order to do something based on his stated feelings for her mother.  A first, Mako is the person who fills this void -she has no one else.  And while Mako may have not taken on a fatherly role for her on any obvious or acted level, Mako is still somewhat of paternal personality.  Where it gets interesting is that not long after, Mako does much the same thing.  He becomes distant to her, while still telling her he loves her, due to his feelings for Korra. That Korra appears to be one of the few, if any, female companions Asami has is something that may further put her in her mother's position, as well as the fact that by that point in the series, Korra was no longer an acting party concerning Mako's feelings.  Korra was trying to back off the best she could, as I am sure, barring any spirit world shenanigans, Asami's mother was no longer an acting party concerning Hiroshi's actions.

So she gets mad, REAL mad at Mako.  But at first she can't say it.  Because like with a parent, you fear angering them, you fear that loss of love. And Asami has already lost two parents by this point, one because he chose to leave her.  But it's there.  It wars with the desire for Mako to realize his mistake on his own and make a decision, just as she is surely still hoping that Hiroshi will realize his error and come back to her.  Then it comes to a head, and she lashes out at Mako, just as she eventually does with Hiroshi as well.  But to Asami, Korra is innocent not just because she is innocent, but because she has learned from Hiroshi what kinds of cruelty love can make people capable of regardless of intention or who the person that they are claiming to love is.  Because it's made somewhat known that Asami's mother was the kind of person who would never condone Hiroshi's actions.

The difference comes when Asami comes to the conclusion that what Hiroshi is doing is no longer truly the actions of someone who loves and cares about her or her mother.  But Mako's feelings of love for Korra are eventually revealed to be genuine as well as his caring for her. 

Not a perfect theory, and it remains to be seen how Asami feels about the situation with both Mako, her father and Korra in the second season, but I kinda like this one.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (08-01-2012 05:12:47 PM)

#172 | Back to Top07-30-2012 08:28:06 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

@OITL
That's a pretty good angle. Asami is a strong, independent, and intelligent woman. I think she knew from her first few encounters with Mako and Korra being in the same room that something was going on. She continued on without questioning it until Korra was Avatar-napped. Mako seemed to be acting a little too concerned... well feverish with his intent to find Korra. I am surprised that she didn't just break it off with him. At first I thought maybe they had a bit of freedom in their relationship. The two have only known each other for a short time, but somehow Asami is (and I hate to say this, because she rocks) clinging to him. What you said about Asami drawing parallels between Mako and her father may explain this much better. That makes sense to me anyway.

Thinking along these same lines, I wonder exactly what it is that Team Avatar means to her. I want to go beyond helping stop her father from aiding in ruining the lives of bending citizens. I want to know how she connects with them personally. Asami easilly shattered Korra's misgivings about friendship between them, and she seems to be getting along with everyone. We haven't met any of her friends, although her personality seems to be that of a people person. I was concerned with all the gift giving to Mako, like she was trying to buy him. I didn't like it, but maybe I'm reading too much into that.

#173 | Back to Top08-01-2012 12:08:22 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

And she doesn't direct her anger at Korra, which is surprising because Korra partook in the kiss Asami heard from Bolin about.  Nomatter how nice and progressive and logical a person is, there would still be some amount of feelings of hurt, resentment and betrayal towards someone, anyone, in Korra's position.  It's entirely human.

I actually do think that Asami's a little angry at Korra, but that most of her rage is directed at Mako. The reason I liked that is the typically when they have a love triangle in a series like this one, the two woman involved always end up in a cat-fight or some dumb shit like that and the guy is always viewed as completely blameless. That being said, even though Asami did call Mako out on his BS in an awesome way, it's not liked he really learned anything from it or apologized and broke up with her properly on-screen and then Mako and Korra went off together to basically be selfish people who are oblivious to other people's feelings.

I don't know if I'd say that Asami views Mako and Korra as substitute parents, but she could've formed some sort of attachment to them as a result of ending her relationship with her father. It is possible that she's clinging to Mako since as far as we know, she doesn't have any good friends outside of Team Avatar and even then she doesn't know Bolin and Korra very well yet. I also think another reason why Asami doesn't just dump Mako is because she wanted him to grow up and admit that he wasn't being honest with her and that he did have feelings for Korra. And also, Makorra is the Almighty Pairing in this series and all other characters are free game to be derailed or have their romantic feelings written out of the plot (Bolin) in order to make sure that Mako and Korra are happy together because they like each other because.

@Melancholic_Soul

I hope we learn more about what Team Avatar means to Asami too. I did get a lot of Bolin and Asami friendship feels from the scene where Bolin helps her fight her father, so I hope that's explored next season. I just hope that they don't get paired up romantically. I don't have anything against the Bosami ship; really the only ships that cause me to rage are Makorra and Masami because of the God-awful writing. That would be my problem with Bosami becoming canon. I feel that if it happened in the series that their would be a lot of unfortunate implications surrounding that pairing with a lot of "pair the spares" vibes going on and plenty of bad writing.

So yeah, I'd just like more Bolin/Asami friendship because it seems like they would have good chemistry together.  Bolin's a nice person and it seems like he would be there for Asami because she seriously needs hugs since her own father tried to kill her.

Melancholic_Soul wrote:

I was concerned with all the gift giving to Mako, like she was trying to buy him. I didn't like it, but maybe I'm reading too much into that.

I was worried about that too in episode four because we didn't really know much about Asami yet. However later on I got the feeling that for her whole life people have viewed Asami as a helpless, spoiled brat because she's rich. Even Korra just assumed that Asami was a prissy rich girl out of jealously. So, I wonder if all the gifts Asami gave Mako were a way of over-compensating and showing that even though she's rich, she's not stingy or spoiled and is actually a generous person.

#174 | Back to Top08-01-2012 05:11:34 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Oh I don't think she views them as substitute parents, merely that the way they are acting and the specifically the way Mako is treating her reminds her of the dynamic between her, Hisato and her late mother.  Especially since Korra appears to be as far from motherlike as you can get (in the traditional sense).

#175 | Back to Top08-05-2012 10:31:41 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@OnlyInThisLight

Oh, okay.

By the way, that askhousewifetahno blog on tumblr had finally been updated. Korra's answering questions on it now and it's pretty funny.

Board footer