You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#76 | Back to Top01-11-2013 08:28:31 PM

The_A_Man
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: [Fanfic][2012]Seinen Kakumei Utena: yes, it's the actual fic itself

Great chapter. Feel sorry for Touga. But now I can't help but wonder how his hair grew back so fast. I also wonder why that's what's on my mind after reading that chapter.

Anyways, good luck with writing part 13.

#77 | Back to Top01-11-2013 09:05:56 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

The_A_Man wrote:

Great chapter. Feel sorry for Touga. But now I can't help but wonder how his hair grew back so fast. I also wonder why that's what's on my mind after reading that chapter.

Anyways, good luck with writing part 13.

A_Man<3etc-love

In my Seinen timeline, the kitten birthday party in Part 12 takes place at 8 years pre-revolution( 8yrs before SKU TV year): 2 years before Utena's parents' death / Kiga Subway Attack / child Utena meeting child Touga and Saionji/ Touga Saionji + Nanami enrolling in Ohtori  in Part 13 (6 years pre-revolution).  Hope this can explain away the boys' long hair in the upcoming coffin/eternity scene.   

Thanks for the encouragement!  Stay tuned ~

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (01-11-2013 10:19:21 PM)

(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 3 as of Sep 26, 2017) / (SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Updated to Part 43 as of Sep 08, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#78 | Back to Top01-11-2013 09:14:07 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

True, it is kind of cute. And yeah, it can be tempting to over-stuff sentences with information sometimes. I kinda stole the mini-van comment from somewhere, because it's a nice mantra to use sometimes. emot-tongue

#79 | Back to Top01-11-2013 09:53:50 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

True, it is kind of cute. And yeah, it can be tempting to over-stuff sentences with information sometimes. I kinda stole the mini-van comment from somewhere, because it's a nice mantra to use sometimes. emot-tongue

Lurv . . . I keep on forgetting in previous parts, but I'm definitely mentioning you for your flaw-check effort in Part 13's Notes emot-biggrin

(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 3 as of Sep 26, 2017) / (SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Updated to Part 43 as of Sep 08, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#80 | Back to Top03-07-2013 04:52:35 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

This story rocks! etc-love Good luck with the rest. Have some poptart poptart

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#81 | Back to Top03-07-2013 04:57:23 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

This story rocks! etc-love Good luck with the rest. Have some poptart poptart

Thanks for the "like", SexingTouga24/7/365Part 13 should be ready for posting very soon  emot-biggrin

#82 | Back to Top03-24-2013 01:30:13 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Am going through Seinen Pt 13 - TheOnlyFlorence Edit.  Should have the new chapter posted fairly soon emot-biggrin

#83 | Back to Top03-24-2013 06:05:44 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

At last . . . PART 13 UP!!!!!!!!!!

Blogspot Link: http://gorgeousshutin.blogspot.ca/2013/ … einen.html
Archive of Our Own Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/432468 … rs/1365411

Seinen Kakumei Utena

Utena and Penguindrum characters belong to their various owners.

WARNING: Parts of this work contain depictions of transphobia, controversial shoujo fantasy trans situation that in no way reflects real life trans people, and misogynic magic attack leading to forced masculinization.

Part Thirteen: Victims of Fate III (BETA-ed by TheOnlyFlorence)

Notes:  Much appreciation to Lurv for her flaw-checking efforts throughout this multi-part.  TheOnlyFlorence: I cannot thank you enough for your meticulous  BETA-ing. 
P.S. The song “Heavenly Pink” is modified from Bee Gees’ “Melody Fair” – a 60’s classic that was almost “prophetic” in that it foretold the Dios scene in SKU EP39  to eerie perfection (or could it be that there was a Bee Gees fan in Be-Papas?). 

Time: 10 years post-revolution
Place: Ohtori Academy (Japan), Underground Garage

“So the invited have all gathered at the meeting spot?  Keep them monitored; await further instructions before proceeding to stage 2.”  There was a brief  pause.  “Of course I’ve had you all covered.  Your group has been a long-time investment of the Ohtori Clan, after all.”

Putting down the now-vintage car phone earpiece back into its crank (how quickly do man-made items go out of style, he thought), the entity leaned back against his car’s seat with the sinuousness of a self-sunning reptile.  Green eyes hooded, he cast his impassive gaze upon a slot to the opposing side of the garage, where numerous mechanics labored over a red convertible – one identical in appearance to his – grotesquely skewered by numerous charred, gnarled swords.

The car phone rang.  Picking it up, he heard, to his un-surprise, the jocular, boyish voice of his current top-performing pawn:

//“Feeling good about yourself, Prince? Again you’ve had some woman suffer on your behalf.”//

The sword-skewered red convertible’s lopsided plate – one that read “OHTORI” - fell off with a brittle clang, revealing the name “KANAE” on its flip side; the Prince exhaled into the phone with measured slowness.

“Can you still not comprehend what a ‘prince’ is, even after all this time playing one?” he asked back.

//“Oh, give me time, sempai – I’m still pretty green when compared to you.”//

“You’ve certainly turned out to be just as layered as your nick-namesake would suggest,” mused the Prince, his voice textured with dark mirth.  “Had Nemuro-kun bothered to go deep enough into your core during his turn in the game, history could’ve been rewritten.”   

This bratty piece, of course, talked back like he always did.  //“History still could be rewritten yet – it’s for this that you’ve been using me up through the past ten years.”//
A sinister moaning sound, girlish as it was desperate, came faintly audible through the tension-thick atmosphere; the Prince paid it no heed.

“You’ve gained much through this past decade.”

//“The bad along with the good, you mean.”//

“I’ve helped you become what you’ve always wanted to be: something to be seen.”

The faint moaning shrilled into an airy, agonizing scream echoing against the garage’s shadowy space.  Then came a snapping sound, before a murky red light lit up the slot to the left of where the Prince currently occupied, revealing yet another red convertible identical in appearance to his; its plate, unlike that of the Prince’s vehicle, read “INOUE”.

//“My lord and savior, when you say things like this, I can’t help but wish for you to feel my wounds, my sufferings, with your own body – I think only then can you truly comprehend just what you’ve done to me.”//

A flapping sound started to drone in the dimness, its beats frantic as the wings of a moth under fire.  As if drawn by the sound, the red haze “spilled over” to illuminate the Prince’s slot, revealing his car’s plate to be rapidly flipping as if upon a rotating axis. 

“Is that why you’re taking the time to call, Onion-kun?” asked the Prince, purposely reminding the ungrateful tool of his humble beginnings.   

The car’s plate paused, revealing the word “OHTORI”.

“Onion-kun’s” voice audibly tensed up with defensiveness.  //“I’m calling to tell you I’m taking time off starting now and through the weekend.  Get your goons at the Agency to rearrange my schedule around me.”// 

The glow had by now covered the slot to the right of the Prince’s convertible, revealing a dark-colored racecar of insectile design – one with a plate reading “KAORU.”   

“Reason for time off?”

//“Re-repairs,”// spat the now openly agitated “Onion-kun”, before briskly terminating the call. 

Lips curled in a somewhat enigmatic smirk, the Prince again leaned his weight against the cushioned car seat. 

On the light reddened floor, sharp shades had gathered in a lively shadow play – one voiced by a trio of girly voices:

I wonder?

I wonder? 

Do you know what I wonder?

“I’m da über mucho macho Top Dawg!”

“And I’m the top dawg’s down low sub biatch - Bottom Dawg ~”

“And we’re chilling chilling cool, in our thugged-out doggy doggy do, n’ doggy doggy style!”

(A heartbroken young lass glided by the two, her delicate stance brittle with grief.)

“Daamn!  Dat lil’ biatch sure looks classy, Bottom Dawg!”

“Me wanna be classy too, Top Dawg ~”

“I know!  Why dun we go double team dat classy lil’ biatch?  I bet we’d get some of dat classy chill too, Bottom Dawg.”

“Damn right, Top Dawg ~”

(The two jumped the lass, right as the shadows abruptly scattered in a fluttery, moth-like swarm amidst sharp cries that could either be laughter or screaming.)   

Do you know?

Do you know? 

Do you wonder what we know?

“You,” uncaring of the Shadows and their demented sounds, the Prince purred with his lips brushing intimately against the velvety, flesh-toned seat covering, “what do you think a prince is . . . Mother?”

At his question, the car radio spontaneously snapped on to sound a smoky, womanly alto: 

//“Somehow, you only ever call me ‘Mother’ when my daughter is nearby, Akio-san.”//

Baring his even teeth in a broad grin, the Prince looked like he was actually about to answer that, when the car phone rang again.

“Yes?  So, she’s arrived . . . then it’s time.  Proceed to Stage Two as planned.  Be sure to keep the witch and her accomplices engaged until I give signal to begin Stage Three.”  Putting down the receiver, he turned the key on his sultrily constructed red convertible.  “Time to go, Hoshimi: the game begins.”   

Engine roaring, the driven “car” shot arrow-like out of her slot, carrying the Prince past the innumerable identical-seeming red convertibles parked inside the garage’s many slots, and into the darkness of the Ends of the World.

“Holy . . . this is almost like that Magic Mirror from Snow White,” commented Wakaba, as she and the rest of the group (Duelists plus Children of Fate) gawked in awe at the vast multitudes of holographic projections raised against the starry backdrop, all of which showing what appeared to be live videos of the various parts of the crowded Sunshine City Aquarium.

“This may disappoint, but not much witch power is involved in my doing this,” replied Tokiko, busily typing on her keyboard as the projections shift from one area to the other.  “I’ve simply hacked into the video surveillance systems of the Aquarium and its surrounding areas, that’s all.”

“Wow, Chida-san . . . for someone from your era, you’re really tech savvy . . .” immediately realizing the landmine he had just stepped on, Tsuwabuki quickly backtracked. “Oh! I’m not trying to say you’re old, Chida-san, cause you’re totally beautiful, but . . . um . . .”

“It’s okay,” assured the ageless witch, busy with checking through the surveillance videos, “I am an old woman from a bygone era.  Still, one picks up a few tricks after spending ten years together with a computer genius.”

“Chida-san,” Juri cut in, suspicious gaze trained upon the woman, “did you know beforehand about Himemiya meeting with the girls today?”

Preoccupied, Tokiko shook her head without looking up.  “Himemiya-san keeps her own counsel.”  Apparently knowing of the truth in her words, Juri did not pursue the matter.

Kozue appeared perturbed by the “crowded” scenes shown.  “It’s such a freaky way to look at the world, with everyone looking like empty symbols . . .” Beside her, Miki widened his eyes as he spotted something at a corner of a projection screen.

“That family coming out of the souvenir shop with toys for the kids still look normal, though . . .” The words incited a harsh snort out of Kanba, to the slender man’s mild mortification. 

“Miki-san, there are two kinds of people in the world: those who’re loved and those who’re not,” supplied Shouma quickly and respectfully (he was likely worried that his brother’s reaction had come off being rude).  “Only those who’re unloved risk getting broiled by the world into becoming . . .” his eyes widened at glimpsing something on screen, “Oginome-san . . . !”

Tokiko was already zooming in on a plain-looking girl made noticeable by the crowd of symbols surrounding her; upon closer inspection, she had a younger, more petite friend beside her: one almost completely hidden by the surrounding figures. 

“Himari.”  Kanba’s eyes softened with an almost uncharacteristic tenderness at seeing the smaller girl, before his child’s face abruptly drew up in wolfish alert.  “That guy . . .”

“That man behind the girls in black hat and coat also looks normal,” pointed out Shiori, before her eyes started to narrow, “. . . or does he?”

Tokiko zoomed in on that man (some sort of science-defying magic must still be at work atop the “hacking”, as there was no distortion in video quality despite this being security cam footage), and all the Duelists gasped in shock at what now became apparent.

“He’s got like . . . no eyes!”  Wakaba recoiled from the projection in fear.   “That’s why he’s wearing his black hat so low: to hide his nonexistent upper profile!”

“Is that . . . also someone who becomes an invisible nothing?  Like the symbols?”  asked Kozue; Shouma trembled in fright even as Kanba grinded his teeth ferally.

“There’s a kind of ‘nothing’ who will even go as far as to destroy the world and its people, just so they can feel like ‘something’,” hissed the brown-haired boy in barely contained rage, “and when they show, they show up in droves.”

“The Kiga Group,” stated Tokiko, pulling up a projection where innumerable men in black could be seen evenly spread out from amongst the vast crowds.  “Backed by the Ohtori Clan, their remnant members roam the world even after the government crackdown--”

Suddenly, all the projections started frizzling, before being superimposed by an ominous-looking “yin-yang” penguin face motif.  With a stab of a key, Tokiko closed down all the projections, returning the “Room of Stars” back into its former appearance.

“A spiritual barrier over the area, followed by a retaliatory breach-attempt,” explained the witch/hacker to the riled-up group.  “Further monitoring of the Aquarium from our end has now become impossible.”

The Children of Fate tensed at her words.  “Then . . . Himari and Oginome-san . . .”

“Himemiya-san and Nemuro-kun should’ve arrived there already,” said Tokiko, while tapping restless fingertips against the edge of her keyboard.  “While they’re more than a match for Kiga, I’m concerned that Kiga itself might’ve been just mere decoy sent to distract them from mightier adversaries.”  She cast her glinting eyes upon the slightly parted door leading back into the mansion.  “Time to involve the New Prince.”

The Sunshine City Aquarium was filled with nature’s wonders, displayed behind glass for the eyes of beholders.

The vast majority of its predominantly female visitors, however, currently trained their lusty gazes upon something else – something that wasn’t even present. 

//“And now, ladies and gentleman, it’s the moment you’ve all been waiting for: the unveiling of our Aquarium’s A-list endorser – Seen’s - newest HD 3D MV: Heavenly Pink!”//

The biseinen idol’s pristine image appeared upon the tall LED screen to thunderous applause from the eager crowd, whose cheering never ceased even after he had started singing:

//“Who was that girl with the crying face,
Looking at funeral signs?
She thought her life was an ended race.
Into her coffin there she lied . . .”//

The pop ballad, while well-sung, largely fell upon deaf ears, as the clamoring women all were eagerly chatting about something else entirely:

“ Those lush romantic curls . . . how can any man be so . . . princely?!”

“Look at that clothes-hanger build . . . he could be on the runway in Milan and Paris!”

“I so wanna be one of those two dancers who got to be with him ~ ”

“. . . wait, aren’t those girls Double H?”

“You’re right . . . they are Double H!  Since when do they dance backup for other artists?”

“Well, Seen does rank much higher than them on like all the popularity polls.”

“He’s so leggy, the girls look like penguins wobbling beside him.”

“They’re really kinda plain for idols; no wonder their agency need to generate press with that mystery Triple H new member thing.”

“That new H will have to be someone un-leggy enough to match the existing two, though . . .”

Unnoticed by the tittering, judging bunch, two tensely somber girls were passing by from behind them, with the older of the two – one spotting a girly bob cut – now shooting them a heated glare. 

“Geez, if Double H could be called short penguins, then I suppose the place is swarming with ovulating turtles by their own definition,” grumbled the feisty girl, before turning back to her younger companion with a reassuring smile.   “Himari-chan, don’t you mind what they say;  Hibari-san and Hikari-san are--”

“I don’t think they had to endure this kind of judgment before becoming idols,” murmured Ikebe Himari, her expression one of disconcerted pensiveness.  “Isn’t it strange?  The three of us were supposed to be friends in elementary school, but I can’t remember anything about them from that time: what they looked like, any of the things we should’ve done together . . . nothing.  If it wasn’t for Hibari-san and Hikari-san coming to me, I wouldn’t have remembered that we had even known each other.”  Reaching the penguin pool, the wisp of a girl climbed a step of wooden lining up the glass fence as if out of habit.  “And these penguins--” the girl’s foot slipped, and the older girl hurried up to steady her from falling.

“Himari-chan!”

“ . . . I-I’m okay; thanks, Ringo-chan.”

Oginome Ringo frowned chidingly at Himari.  “You mustn’t be so careless right before your talent audition, Himari-chan.”  Himari hung her head in sheens of long, fine hair.

“I’m sorry,” the girl apologized in her airy, brittle voice.  “Just now, I suddenly remembered that I’ve actually been here – I mean since way before we came here together after our hospital stay.  I remember how someone had always helped me up this wooden step so I could look over the fence, but I can never remember who that someone was.  My adoptive parents never once took me here, and . . .” A tear escaped her eye then, and Ringo quietly helped her clean up with a Kleenex.  “Oh, Ringo-chan . . . I don’t know what I’d do without you.  There are all these holes in my memory, it’s like there is really no concrete past to uphold this pleasant . . . present.”  Sniffing, she glanced up at the older girl in fright and helplessness.  “It’s like we’re both trapped inside some elaborate illusion, where nothing is real, Ringo-chan!” 

“Himari-chan . . . ” uncertainty welled up from within Ringo’s amber eyes, before the girl made a visible effort to don a brave, cheery front.  “Don’t worry. We’re going to get all the answers today!  Now that we’ve come here like the letter instructed, we’re finally gonna meet up with that omniscient person who knows about the amnesia, and  . . .” Her words trailed off at seeing the peculiar widening of Himari’s eyes.  “ . . . Himari-chan?”

“You . . . you’re . . .” uttered Himari in what looked like rapidly dawning recognition, as she reached down to clasp her small hands around something seemingly short and rotund . . . something that looked like thin air to Ringo,  “ . . . Number . . . 3?”  Worried, Ringo clasped a hand upon Himari’s slim shoulder.

“H-Himari-chan--” and she got tongue-tied, as immediately upon contact, she suddenly found herself seeing a fake-looking blue penguin – one with the number “3” written on its back – now cuddling up against the other girl’s embrace in an extremely lifelike manner.   “T-That . . . that’s . . .?!”

“ . . . Esmeralda?”

Turning at the quivering voice, Ringo saw to their side a stylish young woman gawking down at an also artificial-seeming black penguin now snuggling up against her long, stocking-clad lower leg.  Apparently geared with sharp senses, the young woman noticed Ringo’s staring almost immediately; her eyes widened with disbelief at seeing her and Himari.

“You and that girl,” the young woman’s body tensed in defensiveness, “you’re both . . . real?!”

“Natsume Masako-san . . .” whimpered Himari, who apparently recognized the young woman . . . with fear; the blue and black penguins by their respective sides now were glaring cartoon-ish-ly at each other. 

Unnoticed by the flabbergasted girls, shady men had since appeared from all around the crowded place in significant numbers, their stark black hats and trench coats contrasting the lighter attires of the regular visitors to ominous effects . . .

//“Heavenly Pink won't you comb your hair?
You can be beautiful too.
Heavenly Pink, remember you're only a princess.
Heavenly Pink, remember you're only a child.
Ah . . .”//

“We’re leaving.”

Utena’s sentence impacted those inside the toilet partition like an unexpected slap; and they reacted to it as such.

“Leave . . .?” asked Saionji, the desperate, explosive anger twisting his expression mirroring those often seen in his high school days.

“Y-You can’t!” Sharp-tongued Nanami actually stuttered, so outraged was she now.  “Not after having dragged everyone of us into your fight against him . . . are you fucking insane?!

Ignoring the two like they were never there to begin with, Utena stepped into the already crowded partition, and proceeded to pull Touga up and out of the water.

“Hey!  Keep your hands off my--” Nanami’s sentence died out, as she realized how Touga was responding to Utena’s draw, as he now stood steadily up on his own feet.  Producing a large towel, Utena then proceeded to dry the wet, naked man matter-of-factly as the others looked on in shock.

“Tenjou-kun,”

“Touga,” 

“I can’t become a prince after all.”

“Me neither.”

“But, at least I finally get to meet you, as myself, ” said Touga, displaying his smooth, willowy body with neither modesty nor shame. “Tenjou-kun,” he looked his past crush in the eye,  “are you yourself now?” 

Only then did Utena – no longer innocent, no longer even female – finally looked away, as he then shoved a pile of clothes up and in Touga’s stoic face. 

“Tenjou-kun,” persisted Touga, whose piercing, merciless gaze remained trained upon Utena; head down, Utena clenched his fist till his knuckles turned white.

“You . . . why is it that every time we meet, you’re always trying to hurt me?”

Time: 6 years pre-revolution
Place: Outskirts of Kiryuu Estate, Water Canal

“. . . we meet again,” whispered Touga to himself from where he was again peeking at her, this time behind the obscuring shrubs beside the small canal park.

It had been two years since he first saw her; two years during which the boy had repeatedly chanced upon the pink-haired girl – the one spoiled rotten by parents – at various spots around the area, watching on unnoticed as she grew more and more beautiful living her charmed life . . . two years since he himself had become a witch.

Ever since he became a witch, the abuses had indeed stopped; since the abuses had stopped, so too did those contrived family interactions the Kiryuus once had with the siblings.  Touga himself of course relished in the absence of the pervs from their immediate vicinity, but Nanami – believing them to be the parents – grew up feeling unloved; she had grown, as per the years, increasingly dependant upon him.

“Mama and Papa don’t need me, so I don’t need them either!  I need only you, Onii-sama; I have only you . . .”

Even without the abuses, even “protected”, he and Nanami still were unloved children – existing opposed to those chosen by fate to live engulfed in love.

“ . . . and after a bit more practice, you’d be able to do even this.” Looking resplendent in her brand name leotard, the pink-haired lass then proceeded to execute a showy skipping rope trick in front of a small gathering of admiring girls.  “Nothing sculpts the lines like exercise!” 

Such a radiantly foolish girl, looking like she had never even known of the darker things roaming the world – like pedophiles who pose as parents, like parents who hurt their children . . . like him.

He had grown fixated upon her out of envy; and fascination . . . and something deeper; something he could not yet define at his young age.

He knew that they were from different worlds, that their only interaction would be nothing more than someone like him watching someone like her from afar – while obscured underneath dark shades, invisible and seething. 

Unless . . .

“Wait!  But wouldn’t all this jumping about make the legs go chunky?” 

“What if this gives us cankles?”

“Oh no: jumping exercises actually help the legs grow longer while reducing waist-size, and can make us look so much better in whatever we wear . . . ”

“Onii-sa--”

Startled by Nanami’s abrupt sneak up from behind him, Touga quickly pressed a hand over his little sister’s mouth, keeping her quiet. 

“ . . . now that I’ve scored perfect on the math test, Mama and Papa has finally agreed to take me with them to Tokyo on their work trip,” claimed the pink-haired girl, beaming with excitement.  “I’d get to check out the designer boutiques there myself!  So, if there’s anything you girls want me to get for ya . . .” The offer was met with jubilant “oooh-s” and  “aaah-s”, as the group of privileged little girls moved off and away.  Relaxed, Touga released Nanami, who sagged like an unsupported doll.

“ . . . why’re you looking at those girls?” she asked with that hurt look in her dark eyes . . . it was the look she had two years ago, on that day.

Nanami thought he was oblivious, but he knew.

He knew what she did, two years ago.

Like most other kids, Touga had naturally liked animals to begin with.  However, in those days just after his birthday – around the very beginning stages of his “protection period” – the boy had been inseparable from the kitten largely because he knew Kiryuu Papa feared it.  To better control the kitten, he had spent a lot of time bonding with it – and that quickly made his clingy sister jealous.

On that wet, cloudy day, while looking for his pet, Touga found Nanami sneaking furtively out of the side gates with a card box in hand.   Normally, he would not pay much attention to that, if not for how that card box looked very similar to the one the girl had used as a gift box for the kitten.

The soft meow faintly audible from within the box confirmed his suspicion.

Tailing his little sister from behind, he followed her out to the canal, and watched on stunned as she then slipped the boxed kitten into the wild torrents of the flooded waterway.  There was this macabre crow’s screech, before the girl fled into the cold rain, crying in guilt and in despair.

Up till that moment, Touga had thought he had managed to protect his sister’s innocence from the Kiryuus; how wrong he was.

The monsters had twisted Nanami’s soul just by pretending to be her parents while doing no parenting.

Presently – at this exact same spot she once drowned that kitten – his volatile, vulnerable sister was brawling against his embrace as if out of breath.

“I can’t bear it if you’re to fall for some girl!  Onii-sama, look only at me!  Care only for me!  Love me!”

Still mentally scrambling for the right words to pacify the hysterical child, the boy did what he had always done in similar situations: he kissed her gently on the forehead.

And it worked like magic; just like it did every single time before.

“Nanami, I’m not ‘falling’ for any of them.”

“ . . . huh?”

“Girls like those are just like troublesome insects,” Touga flicked his hair – grown long again after the cut from two years ago – in a disdainful gesture. “I looked only so I could watch out for them.  You’re my only sister; you’re the only one who’s important to me.”

“Onii-sama . . .” Nanami hugged him with fierce, teary gratitude. “Onii-sama!

Patting his unhealthily clingy sister on the back of her blond haired head, the boy cast a furtive gaze at where that dazzling girl and her friends had disappeared off into the distance.

Being from different worlds, someone like him could only ever watch someone like her from afar – while obscured underneath dark shades, invisible and seething. 

Unless . . . unless he could get his own filthy hands on her, and drag her down to his level, so they might at last be on that same common ground. 

So they might finally get to meet.

Place: Chida Mansion

“If you’re really yourself, then you’d goddamn remember how I no longer have a self, and why!” 

Utena’s statement was punctuated by his throwing the clothes brutishly in Touga’s stoic face: an act that somehow caused the “W” branding on the latter’s left cheek to start letting blood. Shocked out of her stupor, Nanami tried advancing on the Victor, but was held back but Saionji’s hand on her shoulder.   

“What, don’t you remember?” Livid with rage now, Utena pointed a finger at Touga like he would a raised sword.  “You’ve met my true self while I lied dying; and instead of trying to save me, you--”

“I gave that fatal cut, from which sprouted you and your trail of coffins,” said the redheaded man, who seemed unaware (or uncaring) of the blood marring his snow-pale face. “Yes, it's all my fault: I was the witch who brought low what could have been a princely princess.  Do you hate me, even now?  Do you regret meeting me?  And, if you do . . .”  blue eyes glinting, he stepped up and towards the trembling young man, “. . . can this regret give you motivation enough to get back on your feet, or will you still hide yourself inside some coffin just like before?”

“You--”

And their surroundings changed with a disorienting abruptness, such that the four suddenly found themselves in a pristine, elegantly renovated bathing area, where the squat toilet Touga came out of now had become a Jacuzzi tub, filled and running.

Red rose petals – glossy from being lacquered – could be seen scattered about the corners of the bath in artful disarray.

“W-Wha . . . ?!”  Nanami looked around in disbelief.  “That was . . . ?”

“A projection,” muttered Saionji, his hardened gaze trained upon Touga, who stood wet and naked but without the bleeding, “and it’s clear just who the ‘projector’ is here.”

Then came a short, brisk series of raps at the door, before it got pushed open as Tokiko strode right in. 

“Pardon me for interrupting.” The elegant woman kept her eyes on Utena alone as she, with a wave of her hand, somehow materialized a bathrobe around Touga’s nakedness.  “Tenjou-san, Himemiya-san is presently in battle against Akio’s subordinates, including Kiga; she could be needing your--”

“No.”

“ . . . no?”

“I won’t see Himemiya right now,” stated the New Prince, downcast and sullen, “not her, not Kiga.”

Tokiko frowned.  “Tenjou-san . . .”

“No.  What she did--”

“Ho, this is rich!”  Nanami cut Utena off with a derisive snort. “You, who’ve been trying to make us all accept Himemiya - even knowing about the many people she’d destroyed and killed all along - you’re now breaking it off with the all-powerful-witch right when we all need her the most?  After having lumped us in on your side against her brother?  All this, just because she might – might - be involved with your parents’ death?!  What makes your parents bigger than the rest of their many victims – bigger than us?”   The petite blonde stomped up and at the tense Victor with spite in her steps. “You hypocritical, self-centered--”

“Enough, Nanami.”

Touga’s quiet but firm voice impacted his sister like an abrupt slap, stunning her into wide-eyed stillness.  He then turned to face Tokiko.

“Tenjou is in no condition to be of help at the moment.  There are things that needs settling – that I should’ve settled earlier on, since meeting her again – and it will have to be done now.”  The man’s gaze upon the witch was steady and hard.  “Please understand, Chida-san.” 

By now, the gathered ones were all looking in from the opened door, their tensed faces betraying their current anxiousness.

“Chida-san,” Kanba spoke up aloud for all to hear, “Shouma and I are going with or without Pink Hair.”

“If the boys are going, then I am too,” stated Kozue; Miki looked uncertain from where he stood beside his twin.

“But . . . without Tenjou-sempai . . .”

“Himemiya brought all of us here, because we – for what we’re worth to the normal world – somehow have the power to go against the Chairman.”  She clasped her hands upon the brother’s small shoulders.    “These two had sacrificed their all to save a girl they call their sister.”  Her sharp gaze cut at her twin, who awkwardly looked away.  “I want to help these guys protect their sacrifice in whatever way I can.  And,” her lips curled in a feral smirk, “if my helping them involves thwarting that monster’s despicable plans in some way, then more power to me.”  The Takakuras appeared stunned by her passion.

“Kozue Nee-san . . . !”

“Kozue has a point,” Juri took a step up to beside the Kaorus.  “We’re here because we’re not completely powerless against the Chairman.  Isn’t that right, Chida-san?”

“Yes . . . and no,” said Tokiko, after taking a moment.  “With the exception of the potentially powerful Tenjou-san, all the other Duelists can only face up against Ohtori Akio by forming driver/vehicle partnerships.”  She cast her worried gaze across the group.  “Most of you are not ready for that just yet.”

“Driver . . . vehicle partnerships?”  asked a visibly disconcerted Shiori, now clasping her hand upon Juri’s forearms.  “Does this mean . . . we’re meant to . . . I . . .?”  Appearing nervous herself, Juri hugged the smaller woman to her side under the other Duelists’ quizzical gazes. 

“There are two kinds of people in this world,” explained Tokiko, “those who drive others onwards, and those who get driven onwards by others.”  The Duelists looked amongst themselves uncertainly.  “As far as I know, Himemiya-san had planned it so that the Duelists she gathered this time around are pairs with potential to make for a powerful ‘race team’, for lack of a better term.”

“So it’s gonna be a car race this time around?” exclaimed Wakaba in genuine bafflement.  “Against whom?  Towards what?”

Tokiko’s delicate face hardened in determination.  “Against worldly obstacles since prepared by the Ends of the World; towards the truth beyond the world’s shell.”

“I don’t get it.”

“You will; you all will in good time.  For now, I ask all Duelists to stay here with Tenjou-san.  I’ll go with the Takakura brothers to protect their loved ones and help Himemiya-san against Kiga and whatever else the Devil has up his sleeve.”

“Why only the kids?” asked Kozue. Stepping up, Tokiko gently pulled the child-shaped Takakuras away from the girl and towards herself.

“Because they are immune from violence in their present insubstantial state – even though they cannot enact violence either.” 

Her statement appeared to worry Miki.  “But . . . with only you having any offensive power--”

“Nemuro-kun and Himemiya-san should be there already; we can manage,” assured the elegant, delicate witch.  “Kanba-kun, Shouma-kun, we’re going.”  Even before Tokiko’s sentence was completely finished, the boys were already losing shape, color, and form, before exploding outward in a vortex of sharp, glassy pieces that completely obscured her slender figure; the glittery, lucent storm dissipated almost as quickly as it formed, leaving behind no trace of the vanished trio.

“ . . . they can manage,” mumbled Miki to himself, obviously awed by the impressive unreality he just witnessed; the other Duelists also appeared similarly stunned.  The group soon gathered their wits about them and refocused upon the now trembling Utena, standing in front of Touga with his head hung low.

“Well, I ain’t staying behind just to have to look at that,”  snorted Kozue at their Victor in a purposefully loud voice. “I’ll be downstairs.”  With that, she turned on sharply her heel and left.

“Kaoru-san,” Shiori flitted after the feisty girl like a delicate bird. “Let’s all stick together; we can monitor news alert about Sunshine City Aquarium, and maybe come up with some ways to keep this operation going . . .” Apparently worried how the eager suggestion was going to go down with the thorny listener, both Juri and Miki quickly followed from behind. 

“Nanami-sama,” Tsuwabuki got up to the older young woman – one who had remained wordless since being silenced by her brother – with the carefulness of one walking on eggshells.  “Come with us?” 

Downcast, like a hollowed-out husk, the once catty blonde passively allowed the young man – already taller than her by a head – to gently guide her out the door; they briefly brushed past Wakaba during their exit.

“Utena-sa . . . Utena,”  Wakaba called to her once best friend from where she stood worriedly at the door.   “Umm, now that you . . . and Himemiya . . . what’re you going to do now?”   

“Wakaba . . .” croaked Utena though his constricted throat; his head still was hung low: as if he was not yet strong enough to look up at the world yet. “I’m sorry.”

“For . . . what?”

“For dragging everyone into a fight against that monster, when I’m not even ready to face him myself.  It must’ve been so scary for all of you, having to face the Swords with no idea what to expect.  Because I’m so weak, Chida-san now has to fight Kiga and Akio by herself--”

“Utena.” Wakaba cut him off in a surprising firm voice.  “Yeah, like, there are a lot of things going on that I don't understand . . .” the young woman paused to take a deep breath, “but, this I know for sure: you were the one who saved each and every one of us, back when we needed saving.”  Her voice and expression both softened with warm empathy.  “So don’t be sorry - it’s now our turn to save you, that’s all.”  The young woman’s brown eyes misted at seeing the tear tracks now trailing down Utena’s pale cheek.  “I’ll be with the others.”  With that, she too backed out of the bath area, leaving the broken new prince alone with his emotions . . .

. . . alone with those two, who were as much  fellow duelists to him as they were his kindred spirits in despair.

Touga and Saionji . . . Saionji and Touga; their watchful gazes upon him now felt every bit as invasive as they did on that night at the church, back when they all still were kids, back when they all still were young victims at the ends of their world.

The lights were beginning to dim, and the setting was beginning to change.  There now were impressions of stained-glass windows letting light in from the outside - colored lights that revealed three coffins all bearing stylized rose motifs.  Stepping up – bumping past Saionji’s shoulder as he did so – Touga moved to one of the coffins, and started pushing its lid aside . . .

“Don’t,” whimpered Utena, his voice eeriely girlish and child-like against the dull thunders now droning in the distance,  “please don’t . . . ”

Place: Tokyo, Shinjuku Subway Station

Theirs was a family of three smartly dressed in high-end casual wear, and they were hurrying towards the bustling subway station entrance with hurried haste.

“Pumpkin, we don’t have to go quite that early!  The store won’t be open till--”

“We have to, Papa!”  Blue eyes determined, the little girl was literally dragging her father by the hand, as they prowled their way through the thick morning crowd.  “Sorya Rich is debuting its limited edition designer choker today: there must be a long lineup outside the store—oof!”  It was then that she accidentally bumped against a man, the force almost sending the sizable box he was carrying tumbling down upon her.

“Utena!”  Exclaimed her father in alarm, as he turned quickly towards the impacted man.  “I’m so sorry: my daughter is too unruly.  Are you okay?”

The man - nondescript in appearance but for the penguin motif on his back and on his box – paid Utena and her father no heed as he briskly went on his way.

“See how you’ve embarrassed yourself with this behavior!  Pumpkin, you really should . . .” Mr. Tenjou trailed off at realizing that his words were falling on deaf ears, with his daughter remaining utterly focused on her forward momentum towards what she wanted.

“Rush hour on a day off; what joy . . .” grumbled Mrs. Tenjou, whose ruffle-filled sundress proved impractical when amongst the crowding, squishing mass.   

“What can we do?” bemoaned the khakis-clad husband, looking out of place from amidst the suited “salary men” from all around. “We got ourselves a little type-B: self-centered and fixation-prone.” Complains aside, fatherly pride still was evident in his expression.  “At least our girl’s princess-ly craving is motivating her to do well at school . . .”

“At least there’s that . . .” conceded the dainty wife, smiling in spite of herself.

“Hurry! Hurry!  We’re gonna miss the train!”  The pink-haired princess – willfully ignoring the heartwarming exchange, so possessed was she by the single-mindedness of childhood – impatiently urged her parents along towards the subway gates, towards the life-changing event that was to leave this one forever altered.

End Part Thirteen

To TheOnlyFlorence: Thanks for the helpful, easy-to-follow BETA-notes!   On Utena’s bloodtype:  SKU TV states both Utena and Nanami to be type-B’s, and uses this detail to display some (startling) character similarities shared between these seeming polar opposites. 

Relevant bits as follows:

EP 30 (next ep preview)
Anthy:  And you're type-B, right Utena-sama?
Anthy:  Type-B's are self-centered and prone to misconception...
Utena:  Yeah, sorry okay.
Utena:  By the way, how come Nanami's staying in our room?
Anthy:  Because Nanami-san's a type-B.
Utena:  Well, she is sort of misconception-prone...

EP 37
Utena:  Well, I'm a type-B who really gets stuck on things.
Nanami:  Me too.

Florence, I forgot to mention in my notes to you, but I’ve also been using blood type to display the similarities between 6 yr old Utena and 5 yr old Nanami back in Part 12 (using the above highlighted portions as convention).  So yep, Utena would be staying type-B in this fic.  I hope this is still making sense to you (fingers crossed).

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (03-25-2013 07:07:04 PM)

#84 | Back to Top03-24-2013 07:16:09 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

gorgeousshutin wrote:

To TheOnlyFlorence: Thanks for the helpful, easy-to-follow BETA-notes!   On Utena’s bloodtype:  SKU TV states both Utena and Nanami to be type-B’s, and uses this detail to display some (startling) character similarities shared between these seeming polar opposites. 

Relevant bits as follows:

EP 30 (next ep preview)
Anthy:  And you're type-B, right Utena-sama?
Anthy:  Type-B's are self-centered and prone to misconception...
Utena:  Yeah, sorry okay.
Utena:  By the way, how come Nanami's staying in our room?
Anthy:  Because Nanami-san's a type-B.
Utena:  Well, she is sort of misconception-prone...

EP 37
Utena:  Well, I'm a type-B who really gets stuck on things.
Nanami:  Me too.

Florence, I forgot to mention in my notes to you, but I’ve also been using blood type to display the similarities between 6 yr old Utena and 5 yr old Nanami back in Part 12 (using the above highlighted portions as convention).  So yep, Utena would be staying type-B in this fic.  I hope this is still making sense to you (fingers crossed).

Ooooh, going by blood-type assumptions, not personality. Gotcha. All's good.

#85 | Back to Top03-25-2013 05:51:15 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Tokiko’s delicate face hardened in determination.  “Against worldly obstacles since prepared by the Ends of the World; towards the truth beyond the world’s shell.”

“I don’t get it.”

Ehehe, it's always good to have a character to relate to (least that's what I think). emot-tongue

Downcast, like a hollowed-out husk, the once catty blonde passively allowed the young man – already taller than her by a head

Does this mean he's still growing? That's the impression I get anyways.

#86 | Back to Top03-25-2013 03:14:43 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Glad that got cleared up, Florence!

Lurv wrote:

Downcast, like a hollowed-out husk, the once catty blonde passively allowed the young man – already taller than her by a head

Does this mean he's still growing? That's the impression I get anyways.

Cute but  good question.  Tsuwabuki would be 19 yr old college guy in Seinen's present timeline.  In my case, I did keep growing taller until around 21-ish, so . . .

#87 | Back to Top03-25-2013 05:05:21 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

Hell yes. 

You have no clue how much I've needed this update. I've been in a massive slump, and it's the unexpected bits of awsome like this that help pick me back up.

Oh treachery!

#88 | Back to Top03-25-2013 06:27:36 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

The_Lame_Goat wrote:

Hell yes.

You have no clue how much I've needed this update. I've been in a massive slump, and it's the unexpected bits of awsome like this that help pick me back up.

Lame Goat, you're truly too kind emot-biggrin

And, if your wildly-entertaining ongoing Akio fic is you working while in some kinda slump, then I look forward to seeing just how brilliant a writer you'd be when in a better state etc-love

I'm glad that as the fic progress, the readers following this - many of whom unfamiliar with Penguindrum - seem to be having less and less problems with the MP chars and elements.  Seems like I've managed to keep things coherent as a writer, after all.

Seinen PT 14 has already been in progress for a while.  Hopefully, I can sent it out to the magnificent Florence for BETA-ing by no later than next week.

#89 | Back to Top03-25-2013 06:29:51 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Cute but  good question.  Tsuwabuki would be 19 yr old college guy in Seinen's present timeline.  In my case, I did keep growing taller until around 21-ish, so . . .

True. Makes me wonder how tall he would end up being.

#90 | Back to Top03-25-2013 06:37:19 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

gorgeousshutin wrote:

True. Makes me wonder how tall he would end up being.

Considering how SKU shows Akio as an example of a tallish adult male, and that Tsu strikes me as the type who'd be really into height-growing diet/exercise . . . I'd say Tsuwabuki could potentially gain at least yet another half-a-head over Nanami as he matures?

#91 | Back to Top03-26-2013 07:35:45 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv, noticing your new Nanami Egg avatar right when I'm writing the Egg into Seinen Pt 14 is truly chill-inducing ~

#92 | Back to Top03-27-2013 04:23:33 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Lurv, noticing your new Nanami Egg avatar right when I'm writing the Egg into Seinen Pt 14 is truly chill-inducing ~

Hehehe, I figured it was time I got an avatar here, and I considered getting a funny one. Of course, this screencrap isn't the most funny out of context, but oh well. emot-wink

#93 | Back to Top04-23-2013 08:27:30 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Ugh . . . I can’t believe almost a month had gone by since my last update, and Part 14 still is not ready to be sent out for beta-ing (Why oh who did I decide to include so many characters?!).  Florence my friend, the delay is my fault and mine completely; I can only hope that when this does get sent out, it will find you at a time when you’d also have free hours on your end.   Thanks for helping with this project, and I will keep you updated on further developments.

#94 | Back to Top04-23-2013 12:42:59 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Ugh . . . I can’t believe almost a month had gone by since my last update, and Part 14 still is not ready to be sent out for beta-ing (Why oh who did I decide to include so many characters?!).  Florence my friend, the delay is my fault and mine completely; I can only hope that when this does get sent out, it will find you at a time when you’d also have free hours on your end.   Thanks for helping with this project, and I will keep you updated on further developments.

Dude, no sweat. I'll find time when it drops, okay? Don't stress too much emot-smile

#95 | Back to Top04-23-2013 12:48:30 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Thanks for being understanding, Florence!

#96 | Back to Top05-03-2013 07:03:59 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

I swear these SKU side characters are like gaining lives of their own, as they just keep forcing their way into my fic.  As of the soon-to-be-up Part 14, I've literally included each and every Duelist from the TV canon - at the cost of fic-lengthening, again.  Am currently getting the unholy urge to write the Guidance Councilor and Wakaba’s New Best Friend into an angsty storyline of all things, god help me . . . emot-gonk

#97 | Back to Top05-04-2013 11:50:32 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

The Guidance Councilor? emot-biggrin I'm intrigued.

#98 | Back to Top05-04-2013 12:08:32 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

The Guidance Councilor? emot-biggrin I'm intrigued.

Guidance Councilor Madame Lamer Tobuko (Alan Harnum's fic naming convention) will likely show up in the (Utena post-series pre-Seinen sidestory ) I'm currently planning out, along with Wakaba's NBF Plainko (my fic naming convention) emot-redface

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (05-04-2013 12:13:37 PM)

#99 | Back to Top05-06-2013 09:07:52 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Florence has since finished Beta-ing Part 14, and he's done it in record time cause he knows how anxious I am to put this up.

Flowery words could no longer properly express my gratitude, so I'll keep my thanks simple and real: 

Thank you Florence, you're truly the most professional and selfless volunteer proofreader any fanfic writer could hope to find online. 

To all readers: expect Part 14 being posted later in the day ~ cool

#100 | Back to Top05-06-2013 01:05:01 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

PART 14 UP at last !!!!!!!!!!

Archive of Our Own Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/432468 … rs/1485180
Blogspot Link: http://gorgeousshutin.blogspot.ca/2013/ … einen.html

Seinen Kakumei Utena

Utena and Penguindrum characters belong to their various owners.

WARNING: Parts of this work contain depictions of transphobia, controversial shoujo fantasy trans situation that in no way reflects real life trans people, and misogynic magic attack leading to forced masculinization. This particular chapter also contains non-graphic depiction of child abuse and UST, so be warned.

Part Fourteen: Victims of Fate IV (BETA-ed by TheOnlyFlorence: whatever mistakes still present are results of my own stubbornness)

Place: Sunshine City Aquarium

Even before taking up the peculiar invitation together with her friend, the girl had known that this meeting – one brought on by some mysterious person promising to fill in certain inexplicable gaps in their memories – would be one totally out-there experience.

It was the magnitude of the “out-there” that left her unprepared.

//“Who was that girl dueling in the sky,
Watching the Castle come down?
Heavenly, life isn't just a game.
It's just like a merry-go-round . . .”//

Forcefully ignoring the four strange penguins now waltzing to the pop ballad playing in the background, Oginome Ringo instead focused her attention on the baffling confrontation now unfolding in front of her.

“Takakura Himari . . .”

“Natsume Masako . . .”

“Are you the one who sent that letter telling me to come?” asked this ferocious Masako girl, now stepping towards trembling Himari.  “You’re real . . . that means . . . that means my twin brother is  . . . Kanba!  Oh my god . . . I remember now: Kanba boarded the Fate Train for you!”  Appearing stunned, Himari remained glued to her spot as the other girl continued to advance. “What happened to him? You must know!  He’s sacrificing his life and future all to save you!  You’re alive and well, so what happened to my brother?  Why is he gone from this world with no one remembering he ever existed?” The girl then forcefully grabbed her friend by her slim shoulders.  “You, what did you make him do--” 

“My friend didn’t send no letter,” snarled Ringo, now standing protectively in front of Himari after having shoved Masako off her friend and backwards.  “We came because we got a letter telling us to come and find some ‘forgotten truth’!”  Something occurred to her then.  “Hey . . . did you also receive a letter telling you to come?  Natsume Masako . . . san, are you also here trying to . . . remember something forgotten?”

“ ‘Forgotten?’ ” Masako’s wild, manic gaze intimidated the other girl into taking a step back.  “Oginome, the Magic Diary . . . do you still have it?  With the spell in it, you can . . .”

“Magic . . . diary?” Ringo’s conscious mind drew a blank; yet the feeling of déjà vu was strong, to the point that goose bumps now rose on the back of her neck.

“Quit acting oblivious!”  Masako now was right in her face, frantic hands grabbing her by the shoulders.  “The memories may be repressed by magic, but they still show up in dreams!  There hasn’t been a single sleeping moment since where I don’t dream about Kanba, so I know you couldn’t have forgotten everything completely!”

Impressions, vague like indigo hues amidst a flame’s saffron mass, started surfacing in Ringo’s mind:  a redheaded youth tall and aloof, his wolfish eyes watching as fire engulfed her person, engulfed the pink book upon which she had placed her every hope . . .

“ . . . I had a diary,” murmured the girl, her unsteady voice weak against the thumping of her racing heart, “my sister’s diary that’s been passed down to me, after s-she . . . my sister died the day I was born . . . but how did she die?  The diary . . . it . . . burned because someone tricked me.   But I found out what the spell is anyway, and I used it . . . used it to--” She had to stop, as none of what she now suddenly recalled could cohere with her existing memory; none of it even made any logical sense . . . the hysterical young woman’s painful grip was not helping her think; she needed to break free.  “I-I don’t know what you’re talking about!  I--”

“At the very least, you must remember something about his so-called brother,” insisted Masako as she held tightly onto the struggling Ringo.  “That blue-haired boy who was in it along with you and that girl!  Remember?  He was this clumsy, sweet-faced--” 

“Shou-chan.”

Himari’s airy whimper, coming from behind, hit Ringo like a train.  Just like that, her memories started reshuffling themselves – with such violent abruptness, that the traumatized young woman found herself screaming . . .

“Let

us share

THE FRUIT OF FATE!” 

Having voiced the Diary’s spell – a phrase of utmost significance to Himari-chan, as revealed by Double H – she collapsed to her knees as the infernal backslash overtook her.  Yes, the evil entity who bombed her with the teddy had said that this would happen – that she would get burned down to nothing should she use her sister’s volatile magic to change fate.  But this was for the best: with this, the curse upon her friends would be lifted, with Himari-chan healed of her illness, Kanba-san cleansed of his crime, and Shouma-kun . . .   

. . . Shouma-kun--

“Oginome-san!”

Even while aflame, she could feel his body soft against hers, not quite blocking the heat but making everything bearable enough.

“This is our punishment,” stated Takakura Shouma – son of her sister’s murderer, yet also her own personal liberator – all the while drawing the scorching flames away from her singed flesh and towards his own.  “Thank you.

“I love you.”

There were maybe a million things she wanted to say to him at that very moment, but the heartache got in the way.  In no time at all, the moment was over.  The world they shared started remolding itself to the sound of train cars detaching, and he was torn out of her embrace by forces unseen.  Desperate, she held onto him by his burning hand, helplessly watching on as he was scorched down to nothing right in her grasp, leaving behind

not even a speck of ash

upon her

empty

palm . . .

“ . . . Shouma-kun,” gasped the overwhelmed young woman who only just now remembered everything (in highly painful details). “You moron!” 

“Ringo-chan--” started Himari – now grabbing onto her by the hand – before getting promptly cut off.

“NO!”  Hysterical now, Ringo could not rein in the sharpness of her voice even if she tried.  “He didn’t deserve that so-called ‘punishment’!  None of you did!  I could’ve saved everyone on my own with Momoka Nee-chan’s magic!  Shouma-kun shouldn’t have to get burned!  Kanba-san shouldn’t have to disappear!   They have their lives ahead of them - neither of them should’ve gotten erased by this stupid, unfeeling world!”  Emotionally spent, the girl collapsed backwards in a brittle, trembling wreck; Himari hurriedly steadied her upright; vaguely, she noticed the Masako girl’s now somber gaze upon her, but was too weary to care.

“Ringo-chan . . .”  Teary-eyed, Himari looked to be struggling for words . . . but really, what could she say, now that they finally realized just what – whom – they‘ve  lost to cruel fate?  “It’s all because of me . . .”

“Don’t go there,” muttered Ringo, brokenly. “I was responsible too; it was my sister’s ghost pushing the boys to--” There was a blur of movement her tear-blurred visage could not quite follow.  Before she knew it, both her and Himari were getting forcibly ushered out of the Penguin Tank area and down a corridor, with the four rotund penguins following them upon flapper-ed feet.

“M-Masako-san? What’re you doing?”

“Quiet,” hissed the girl, thick curls flouncing as she pushed the other two along, “we’re being targeted.  Act normal, we’re moving to the open area where it’s more crowded!”

“Targeted . . . ?”  Pulling herself together, Ringo glanced about to see a number of suspicious-looking characters now tailing them from behind.   “The men in black . . . who are they?”  She noticed how her fragile friend seemed alarmingly frightened at seeing those people.  “Himari-chan?”

“Quit yapping and hurry the hell up!”  At Masako’s harsh snap, the group’s bumbling sped up to flat-out running, as they all raced towards the line of glittery glass doors leading to the open area . . .

“Does it still bother you to see them upset?”

Lanky built appearing insubstantial under the video screens’ azure blue haze, the youth’s husky voice echoed eerily against the dark confines of Sunshine City Aquarium’s surveillance room.  Seemingly alone – but for the identical penguin hats held in his two hands – he still spoke on:

“Ever since you were a child, yours has always been a will to be reckoned with.

“It is this willpower that allowed for you to work your fate-altering miracles in life, and survive the [1]Magician’s curse in death.

“Will is might.  If you can remain focused on what is important – discarding all lesser worries – nothing can stop you from reaching your goal.

“Since our meeting at the Destination of Fate, I’ve allied my will to yours.  Together, we’ve spent the past ten years battling our common enemy from beyond the World’s Shell.  It is our combined, continued effort that thwarted Kiga’s second attempt at a Subway Attack, and again kept the Fate Train out of their keeper’s reach

“With my will backing yours, our team can defeat not just Kiga, but also their keeper the Ends of the World, and obtain the Miraculous Power to change the World’s Cruel Fate.

“Is this not what you’ve died for?”

Throughout his speech, there occurred a shifting of shadows and light; a change had come upon the scene, such that the youth now held in his hands not two hats; but rather, the hands of two girls – girls who would have looked identical, but for their different ages and attires.

“My sister blames me for sacrificing her loved ones,” murmured the one to his right: a pre-pubescent child in a modest girl’s dress marked by a peach motif on the chest.

“Sacrifices must be made for miracles to occur,” replied the youth to her. “You know this better than even I do.”

“Knowing doesn’t equate liking,” snarled the one to his left: a teenage dominatrix in a risqué costume marked by a peach motif on the crotch.  “Goddamned Ends of the World is sending out these worthless lowlifes after my sister!”  With a flick of her hand, she materialized a glowing pink book in her hand; or rather, a torn half of it.  “See if I don’t erase HIM into nonexistence right here and--”  She got cut off by the sudden kiss planted upon her lips.

“We will erase him at that exact, fateful moment soon to come,” said the youth, azure blue eyes narrowed as he murmured against the young dominatrix’s pouty lips, “which will be soon.  Waiting is such sweet longing, no?”  The dominatrix had a palm against the front of the youth’s regally embroidered white uniform, but only clawed spider-like at the gold buttons along the blue lining instead of outright pushing him away. Turning to his right, the youth’s dark expression turned tender, as he petted the downcast young child on her pink-haired head.  “The Rebel Witch is on the scene – she will have your sister and her friends covered.”  His voice softened a notch. “Stop worrying, Princess-sama – it’s all part of the Survival Strategy we’ve since designed for these Fateful Children.”

Amber eyes alit as if from fire within, the [2] Princess of the Crystal – both split halves of her – answered the youth as one.  “As you say . . . [3]Captain-kun.”

Place: Tokyo, Ikebukuro-bound Marunouchi Line Train

Amidst the confined masses, there existed an individual; amidst the droning chatters, there existed one singular voice softly voicing grim revelations:

“One morning, I woke up and realized that I hated the world.

“This world is made up of innumerable boxes, within which are these countless people confined within.

“That’s how they live--”

Monologue ceasing, Sanetoshi glanced down upon the older, agitated man now fidgeting noisily from his seat.

“What’s the matter?”

“Kaoru-san isn’t picking up the phone.  I thought . . . for a day like the harnessing of the Fate Train . . .”

“Have you tried your wife’s number yet, Ohtori Chairman-san?”  asked Sanetoshi, keeping his tone casual and his undertone darkly mocking, inciting a baleful glare from Chairman Ohtori Tsukiichi.  “You know how attached your pup is to that practice doll you’ve lent him.  Surely, those twins she conceived while you were away in Amsterdam are proof enough that--”   His sentence got cut off by the Chairman getting up and brutishly bumping past his slight figure, before the latter was to plow rudely through the surrounding passengers and away.  Chuckling out loud, he followed the disgruntled gent from behind in smooth, languid steps.  “Electrifying.”

The vacated seat did not stay unoccupied for long, as a well-dressed couple standing nearby quickly moved over, ushering their dolled-up young daughter towards the emptied spot, getting her seated while they themselves remained standing.

None of them had yet noticed the black teddy stashed beneath the seat.

“What’re you doing hiding in your coffin?” asked the witch who once was a boy.

“What’re you doing prying open my coffin?” retorted the prince who once was a girl.

Silence followed the exchange, with the two remaining cloaked under the obscuring shades and fragmented lights, facing each other at the merged edges of their two worlds.

//“I'm on the top of the world, I'm looking down on creation, and the only explanation I can find . . .”//

Idly listening to the song faintly leaking out from the CD player of the passenger beside her, 8-year-old Tenjou Utena endured the crowded train ride (so much more crowded than what she was used to from the countryside) in ill-contained anxiety and exhilaration.

Very soon, she would arrive at the upscale shopping district of her dreams, where limited edition brand-name accessories were made available to all at various prices, where every beloved little girl can become a princess.

And young Utena was nothing if not beloved.

Already, the little girl’s dreamy vision was brightening with imaginary glitter, as she fantasized about the transformation she was about to undergo: the Sebastian Dior tiara would bring out the small-ness of her face, the Sonya Rich choker the slenderness of her neck, the Valentina party dress the length of her legs . . . she would become charismatic, a muse whose charm could inspire lasting, eternal works of art –like how her mother had inspired her father to take those stunning pictures, pictures that propelled him into becoming one of the top high-fashion photographers in Japan.

“Pumpkin, do you know?  Charisma is a thing of power; and power, is something that can save lives.  There was a time when Papa was suffering inside his shell, and was not able to take any good pictures or do anything productive.  It was your Mama, with her princess-like beauty and charm, who smashed Papa’s shell and helped Papa create real art that can last on for eternity.  You are your Mama’s daughter; if you can retain your charisma unto adulthood, someday, someday you will surely find your special someone to save, and when that happens . . .” 

*Gonk!*

Startled by that rigid something bumping against the back of her heel, Utena reached down to pull up what appeared to be a peculiar black teddy bear designed to resemble a toy mecha . . . or was it the other way around?  Blinking, the little girl suddenly found herself noticing a number of these teddy mechas scattered about the train car.   Despite it being so crowded, none of the people walking by appeared to have problem walking/sitting around the many teddies carelessly laid about.  As far as she could tell, nobody appeared to have noticed the teddies, even though men with penguin motifs on their backs (one of whom she vaguely remembered having bumped against earlier on) were dumping the toys about from out of penguin motif boxes--

“It is best if you slowly put that down.”

The calmly mature child’s voice startled Utena into looking up and at the plainly dressed little girl standing in front of her.  She had pink hair vaguely resembling her own, albeit the eyes were amber instead of blue.  The girl held in her hands was a large pink book – one clearly labeled as being a diary. 

“Eh?  You can see them too?”  Social by nature and upbringing, Utena put down the teddy as she chatted it up with the other kid.  “Wow, these teddies are everywhere.  Is this some kinda promotion?” 

“You don’t know what’s happening, do you?”

“ . . . huh?”

The slightly older girl looked down upon her in apparent disapproval.  “You, being special from birth, should be able to see right through the Kiga Group’s charade had you paid attention.  Instead, you’ve let yourself be blind-sighted by fanciful delusions, and have brought yourself and your parents into harm’s way.  Seeing you here, I almost thought you’d be able to help me against them . . . but now I see I was wrong.”

“What’re you talking about?” asked Utena, now baffled and miffed. 

“It’s okay now,” the older girl dismissed her question.  “You keep on playing princess in your rosy little coffin, but I must go.”  Her small chest was puffed up with conviction, drawing Utena’s attention to the stylized peach motif upon her turtleneck top.  “I have power, and will save everyone all by myself.”

“Power?  Kiga . . . penguin?  Do you mean those guys with the penguin faces on their . . . hey!”  Even as she pointed at one of the “penguin” guys present, the other girl was already walking away.  “Papa,” she reached up to tug on her father’s arm, “what’d you think that girl is talking about . . .”  Once.  Twice.  It took the child three misses before she actually turned to face her parents, and what she saw stunned her into crying out aloud.

Her parents, along with those many other passengers, all were rapidly fading away into nothing right in front of her eyes.

Place: Sunshine City Aquarium

“We’ve been expecting you, girls.”

Once out in the Aquarium’s open area, Ringo and the other penguin-followed girls found themselves now face-to-face with an army of men in black, headed by a similarly dressed woman now smirking imperiously down upon them.  What truly dumbfounded her, however, were the “crowds” present in the background – all of whom now revealed to be insubstantial “gender symbols” but faintly visible under the now darkly indigo, motif-cluttered “outdoor skies”.

“We’ve been surrounded,” she heard Masako’s flat, dead muttering,“there’s no place to run.”

“What do you want with us?” asked Himari, donning a brave (albeit shaky) front as she faced the ominous – obviously magical- group now essentially holding them captive.  “Are you . . . the one who sent us that letter?”

“Takakura Himari, Natsume Masako, and Oginome Ringo, right?” the woman – thin, semi-attractive, likely in her mid-twenties – asked them back, as she flicked at the thin wisps of her curled bangs with a well-manicured hand.  “We’ve been dispatched by the one who can give you back your memories – all of it.”  She then gestured at a van marked by an ominous black-white penguin face motif, its side door since opened.  “Now, get in--” 

“Where are you trying to take my guests?”

At that even, ladylike voice cutting in, what appeared to be many identically colored Easter eggs – red markings against dull purple shells – rolled across the floor as if from a random spill, before each and every one them then stopping smoothly at the feet of a black clad man with the precision of a remote-controlled device.  One of the men made as if to draw his gun, and the egg at his feet immediately exploded upward in a fiery pillar – one that burned him down to nothing with a surreal, cartoon-like quickness. 

“I would suggest that nobody else moves, unless they want the same happen to them,” 
said the stunningly beautiful dark lady (Were those roses adorning her background?) now making her grand entrance, with what appeared to be a self-driving pink van following her from behind.  “You of Kiga should all know how his power cannot protect you from mine.”

With her growing fear that they’re again targeted by the dangerous Terrorist Group – the one behind her sister’s death / her parents’ divorce / her life being ruined – confirmed, Ringo could do little but breathe open-mouthed as she and the other girls watched the surreal confrontation unfold.

Numbly, the girl noted how there was this mouse-sized, monkey-like creature (its pelt shaded in dull purple identical to that of the egg bombs) perched upon the lady’s delicate shoulder, and that it was playing with a remote console with such glee, it came very close to knocking against its owner’s elaborate up-do (how rich and long her hair must be when unbound).  She also noticed the change coming over that woman who apparently called the shots amongst the gathered terrorists – while coolly arrogant before, she now was shaking like some unsteady stick-insect as she glared at the lady in acute hatred and fear . . .

“Hi-me-mi-ya . . . !”

“As the one who’ve sent the ladies their invitations, I do believe their meeting is with me,” said the lady called Himemiya, voluminous red gown flaring adrift as she stepped up towards the girls with her flowery smile.  “Children of Fate, we finally meet.” 

As the people around her were changed, so too did her surroundings.

The interior of the train, once pallid and ordinary, now was covered with striking red wheel motifs rotating against a dark indigo backdrop.  The windows no longer displayed any scenery, but rather, a thick darkness tinted with murky crimson.  Only the teddies remained unchanged, though they now appeared unnervingly ominous against the transformed, emptied space.

“Umm . . . hello?  Is anyone here?”

Scared and uncertain, Utena was stumbling awkwardly past the teddy-littered train cars in search of her disappeared parents, when she heard this languid, husky voice coming from up ahead. 

“ . . . boxes make the people confined forget: their real selves, the things they love . . . the people they love. And so, I left my box . . .”

Someone was seated up ahead . . . someone whose visage was semi-obscured under the sharp contrasts of indigo shades and red lights.  Squinting her eyes, she could make out impressions of long hair and limbs, arrayed in a casual pose suggesting haughty indolence.

“I’ve been chosen by the Ends of the World,” purred the man, staring down upon some small child standing in front of him, “that’s why I’ll be the one to end this world.”  The child spoken to was apparently that strange, diary-carrying girl who talked down on her just moments ago. 

“I’m Momoka,” said the girl.

“I’m Sanetoshi,” replied the (strikingly pretty up close) man.

"I am going to banish you from this world."

"Electrifying. How will you do it?"

Amber eyes glacial, the startlingly mature Momoka girl raised up her diary. "There's a spell to transfer fate written in here. I'll recite it to save everyone, and cast a threat like you into eternal darkness."

“I see; so the Fate Diary fell into a child’s hand.”  Back straightening, the pretty man called Sanetoshi hardened his rabbit-red eyes.  "If you're going to interrupt my fun, then I'll trap you within my curse."

“Watase,” a plain older man – one not immediately noticeable when beside the stunning biseinen – put down his cell phone before leaning over to speak urgently in Sanetoshi’s ear.  “You-know-who just gave the order that this one is of great value to our cause, and must be captured unharmed along with the Fate Train!”

“Did he now?” Sanetoshi’s hardened gaze remained locked against Momoka’s; at his response, the older man hissed in outrage and fright.

“Watase . . .!”

*Flap . . .*

Flipping open the now aglow pink diary, Momoka started reciting what must be her spell – one with powerful syllables seemingly hammering against the very scenery, leaving visible cracks against space itself.  The eerie wheel motifs flickered on and off against the indigo dimness, and Utena realized she could again see the many passengers semi-lucent against the train’s again “normalizing” interior.

“ . . . te-na . . . !”

A hand, warm and familiar, clasped onto her shoulder.  Turning, the girl saw a couple with much of their facial features eeriely “blanked out” standing from behind, with their agitated postures suggesting acute urgency: it took seeing their clothes for the girl to tell who these eerie entities really were.

“Papa . . . Mama?!”

From behind them, the numerous black teddies littered around flickered their red eyes in perfect union, right before a brilliant white aura engulfed the train’s interior.  Cries – one girlish and shrill, the other manly and savage – cut at her nerves like a swarm of glass shards.  Impressions, vague and insubstantial against the searing light, fluttered past her vision: half a girl, half a man; a hat, a rabbit; two hats, two rabbits.  Together they fell into the darkness and out of the light, out of the world and into nowhere . . . and then . . .

( . . . giggles, girlish and shrill, echoed as if from afar . . .)

. . . and then . . .

( . . . shadows sharpened into humanoid silhouettes: long of limbs, narrow of torsos, theatrical of gestures . . .)

. . . it’s a three, a two, a one and go!

Do you know?  Do you know?

There’s this ultra-dramatic story unfolding as we speak!

The interrupted childhood!  The shattered life!

Currently performed LIVE: Fate Coffin Transfer!

There once was a little girl happily playing princess in her comfortable little coffin by the name of Beauty . . .

(Little Girl (singing in coffin): I am pretty, oh so pretty . . .)

. . . until just now, when this anvil called Orphanhood fell out of the blue, smashing her coffin and leaving her exposed!

(Little Girl (crying as she stumbled blindly about):  Papa! Mama!)   

So where does the girl go from here?  Into what new coffin shall she hide behind this time?  What new role is she to play?!

Yesterday’s princess!

Today’s orphan!

Tomorrow’s . . . what?  What?!

(Utena: Hey, how come you guys don’t have faces?)

. . . we don’t?

Well, it’s not that we don’t have faces.

It’s just that most people can neither face death nor the dead, that’s all.

(Utena: Eh?) 

Pssst . . . too much exposition at this point in the story!

Oops . . .

Anyway!  The Exchange is about to commence - it’s best we don’t get in the way.  So,

until

next

time . . . !

. . . she came to underneath this warm, heavy weight piled atop her, pressing her down and blocking off her view.  There was the scent of smoke, the sounds of sirens and frantic footsteps, and a feeling of scorching heat coming from the floor . . .

“ . . . to think the terrorists would target the morning commute . . .”

“. . . these two don’t look like they’re dressed for the office.  Why’re they even on this early train?”

“ . . . see a child under them!”

Hands, calloused and large, moved the weight (Bodies?) off of her.  It was a nondescript policeman, one of many now swarming all over the wreckage the train car was now reduced to.   

“She’s alive!”  He called out to the others around him.  “Get the medics over here quick!”

“Papa . . . Mama . . .” gasped the little girl, startled by the hoarseness of her now brittle voice; the policeman’s expression was one of pained empathy.

“Shhh . . . it’s alright, kiddo.  We’ll get you to the hospital, contact your relatives, and--”

“ . . . ama . . .?  Papa . . .?!”

“Oh . . .”

Alarmed, the child turned her head to look frantically around . . . before freezing up upon seeing just what she had been squashed under from before.

They were human bodies charred by heat and smoke; with their faces darkened, these looked every bit as featureless as those many other burned corpses from all around the wrecked train car.

She saw that they were garbed in the tattered remains of her parents’ clothes.

Just like that, the little princess was rendered an orphan.  The happy, pampered existence she had thought would last forever had shattered like glass.  Her Mama was no longer pretty, her Papa could no longer take pictures . . . what good was their work being eternally renowned, when they were no longer even alive?  What good were the pretty clothes and accessories she had been so eager to don, now that she no longer had anyone to aspire to become?  What good was . . . anything?

She was the fool who just got her parents killed, by making them take her shopping.

If eternity did not exist, if beauty meant nothing . . . then why should anything even matter?

“ . . . alive . . . so sickening . . .” muttered the traumatized young child, her vision darkening as if from a heavy lid falling over her world.

Life, as 8-year-old Tenjou Utena once knew it, was over.

Having re-grouped in the antiquated yet comfy living room, the Duelists now were trying their best to keep up with the latest development.

“So far, there still hasn’t been any notable news about the Sunshine City Aquarium,” muttered Miki, diligently flipping though the many news pages on his tablet, which he currently shared with a crease-browed Juri. 

“Seeing the anchors literally being empty-headed make them more tolerable somehow,” mused Kozue, huddled school-girl-like against Shiori and Wakaba on the adjacent couch, from where they all shared the same laptop. 

“No news, even though the battle must’ve begun already,” Shiori bit down upon her lower lip.  “That ‘spiritual barrier’ the Kiga Group has over the area must’ve been quite something.”  Beside her, Wakaba slapped a palm over her bleary eyes.

“Who’d have thought that magical terrorists could even exist in this world?”

At that, Juri let out a dry, humorless chuckle.  “Magical terrorists backed by a magical old-money clan owning a magical private boarding school . . . talk about taking us all back in time.”  She blinked at noticing something.  “Low battery . . .”

“We packed the charger coming over,” assured Miki, already looking around for his trusty apprentice.  “Tsuwabuki-kun, can you get us the . . .”

“Touga-sempai didn’t really mean to snap at you – you’re his only sister,” cooed Tsuwabuki, serving Nanami coffee with boyish attentiveness.  “He was probably still in a daze, not used to being in this strange place and all . . .”

Downcast, Nanami merely let the younger man fuss on over her as she sipped her coffee in silence; members of the on-looking old gang let out variations of the same soft sigh.

“Talk about taking us back,” muttered Wakaba, before her large brown eyes widened at what she suddenly noticed on the page they had been browsing.  “This is . . . ?”

Place: Outskirts of Kiryuu Estate

“Told you it was gonna rain.” 

They were two boys on a tandem bike, braving the cold evening drizzle as they rode under stormy skies; the path they were on, shrouded under murky darkness, appeared infinite from their point of view.

“That's why I told you to stop at the 10th match: you got me really worn out.”

Kyouichi’s persisting murmur, coming from behind, drilled into Touga’s ears like an old song, warming him with its familiarity. 

“Oh, well,” shrugged the redhead, all the while acutely conscious of the other’s grip around his waist. “There isn't anyone good enough to practice with besides you.”

He could practically feel Kyouchi’s blushing from the heat of the boy’s face, now pressed against his back.

“Well . . . I guess . . . ”

Touga rolled his eyes, but could not keep from blushing himself.  Kyouichi can be such a girl sometimes.

Although, not all the time.

Just earlier that day, back at the kendo dojo where they have been taking lessons, Touga had to act very fast to stop his friend from splitting open another kid’s head with his bokken.

It was all over something trivial: the junior kendo students gathered together taking meaningless verbal jabs against each other, all just part of the standard children’s banter . . . before one of the lads unknowingly made the mistake of saying the following:

“ . . . bet your dad gave you the whooping of your life for it, eh?”

It took Touga hastily pouncing Kyouichi to stop a berserk moment that had almost exploded in public; he even had to put on a show of them being in some kind of playful scuffle, such that the other kids ended up laughing along, with no idea that they had only narrowly missed a violent scene.   

After class, after the other kids had since left, the precocious redhead purposely kept his (now awkward seeming) friend behind via a prolonged practice session – one designed to help the other boy let off what tension and rage still bottled-up inside.

Touga knew his friend - and comrade, and fellow victim - like he knew himself.

Indeed, the abuses the corrupted grownups used to inflict upon them had stopped, as per his deal with Mrs. Ohtori from two years past.  Nanami was no longer held hostage, Kyouichi was no longer physically abused, and he himself was no longer under sexual slavery; all this was because he had agreed to become one of the Devil’s many witches – a role he would have to take up full time soon, when all three of them are to start attending Ohtori starting the coming Fall.

The abuses they suffered had stopped; but the fear, shame, and uncertainly imprinted upon their minds had never really gone away.  Even now, they still were victims suffering under shadows; suffering on their own in the blind spots of the world’s scenery.

*. . . dong . . .dong . . . dong . . .* 

The peals of heavy bells, coming against the dull thunders in the backdrop, startled the boy out of his trance and into stopping.

Stopping, because he saw.

“What is it, Touga?” asked Kyouichi; Touga barely heard what his friend just said.

There, up ahead on their path, stood a towering, imposing man veiled under the night rain.  It could be that he had a very dark complexion, as Touga could see nothing of the man’s features, but only his white hair and uniform, contrasted against the red lining of his vast cape to dramatic effects. 

The scent of roses hung moist and cloying in the air. 

“Touga, why’d you stop?” asked Kyouichi again, seemingly oblivious to the strange man standing in their way.

“Witch.”

The word, spoken right into Touga’s mind as if via telepathy, sent the boy jolting.  So . . . this was the Devil to whom he had signed away his life and future.

Raising a broad hand in a poised, commanding gesture, the Devil pointed to the side, where a church building stood as imposing backdrop behind a small graveyard; a scattering of black-suited men could be seen checking around the tallish grave marks doing a search.

“Touga . . . ?”  Kyouichi was starting to sound wary now.  Heart pounding, Touga had to gulp quietly before he could speak up in what he hoped was a nonchalant voice.

“ It's a funeral.”

End Part Fourteen

[1] The Magician is the name Sanetoshi calls himself in Penguindrum.

[2] Princess of the Crystal is Oginome Momoka’s ghost form.

[3] Having dropped various visual / behavioral hints throughout the scene, I am certain that most SKU fans would’ve realized who this “Captain” is by now.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (01-27-2016 08:53:01 AM)

Board footer