You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#1 | Back to Top02-06-2012 08:43:59 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Saionji Slapper

MPD Songs (Translations, Interpretations, Favorites, Etc.)

Since I contributed pretty heavily to this page (I didn't romanize/translate all of them, but I did do several), I figured I'd give a link. It's exactly what the subject says, i.e. translations to the various songs in MPD, as well as romaji: http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/penguindrum

One thing of note is the translation of Shounen yo Ware ni Kaere--I often see it translated as Boy, Come Back to Me, and that is the literal translation, but "ware ni kaeru" is a Japanese idiom that actually means "to calm down" or "to return to one's senses," so it would actually mean Boy, Return To Your Senses--which is as appropriate if not even more appropriate than the other translation, I think. Another note for anyone reading that one: the translator translates it as "paralyzing," but "shibireru" (as in "Shibireru darou?"/"Isn't it electrifying?") appears in that song as well. Just in case any of you were wondering if you were hearing correctly. cool

Said page also lists which songs appear in what episodes/what episode they were the ED to, and I found a lot of them really appropriate. I actually ended up translating the Triple H soundtrack before I'd actually finished watching the show (I was following along on track until about episode 17, after which I held off because I wanted to show it to my boyfriend and I thought it'd be nice if we could be surprised by the end together), so when I got to HEROES, it gave me a really bad feeling about the ending because of this one line that gets repeated several times:

Gensou ga tsukuriageta    hiiroo wo houmurisare
Consign the hero your fantasies fabricated to oblivion

Not to go into spoilers, but things didn't go quite the way I thought they would in some aspects due to this lyric, but in others they did. (I'll probably go into details on my thoughts, but I don't want to make my first post too spammy.) Overall, all of the songs, I thought, ended up being very appropriate, but that one in particular really made an impression on me... Did any of the songs made similar impressions on you guys? I know a lot of people are fans of Hai-iro no Suiyoubi (Gray Wednesday), and I don't think there's anyone who didn't go "what the hell did i just watch" when first presented with the ROCK OVER JAPAN sequence, but are there any others that really stood out to you?

Last edited by Ayu Ohseki (02-06-2012 08:45:36 PM)

"My brother's partner would have to be ‬attractive in face and figure,‭ ‬good at all sports,‭ ‬excellent in her studies,‭ ‬quick-witted, pretty‬ and pure of heart... luxurious and gorgeous, smooth sailing, auspicious for all occasions, born of the Pure Land, a beauty fated to die young, scandalous max, and vexatiously mysterious, at the very least!" --Kiryuu Nanami

#2 | Back to Top04-30-2012 10:59:15 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Re: MPD Songs (Translations, Interpretations, Favorites, Etc.)

Just a quick update on MPD OST release!

The 7th OST is now out, and at last I can hear that song that played in the last episode etc-love

The vocal... it gets me every freaking time. ;_;

Board footer