You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#101 | Back to Top04-03-2010 06:05:22 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
From: New Orleans, Louisiana
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 10328
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Giovanna wrote:

KissFromARose wrote:

Some little bird told me that drinkin beer can make your boobs bigger... is this true?

Something about the whole process interacts with your endorphins or estrogen or something i dont know.

just curious.

Only in that enough calories and everything gets bigger. emot-wink If that worked, you'd be drinking soy milk. But nothing grows breasts except lactation.

Merck says that beer (and marijuana, and heroin) can cause men to develop breasts when overused.  No word on whether they make female breasts bigger, but I doubt it; it sounds like breast growth depends on the presence or absence of a certain threshold of estrogen, rather than scaling with the amount of estrogen.  Just bringing it up because this sounds like it could be the source of what KissFromARose heard.  emot-smile

Offline

 

#102 | Back to Top04-04-2010 01:06:19 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster
From: Under Northern Lights
Registered: 06-07-2009
Posts: 1866

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

So you hear all these things about when you are contagious with the flu. Some say you are most contagious a week before the symptoms, still contagious during, and some even say you stop being contagious five days after symptoms appear. What is myth? Does this vary with different illnesses? I've been wondering because I've felt something coming on, and my friend is sick at the moment.


*runs to her ColdFX*

Offline

 

#103 | Back to Top04-04-2010 09:36:16 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
From: Brisbane
Registered: 04-21-2009
Posts: 1172
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Several weeks ago the hacksaw I was using slipped and I caught my finger between it and the vice, giving myself a bloodnail. I've never had one before so I didn't know what to do. I asked a few people whether I should drill it out and they told me that the amount of blood there wasn't enough to make me lose the nail so I left it. Fast forward and it's started to grow out; after I did it there was what I thought as a bruise across my finger, but it turns out it was more blood under the nail that hadn't grown out yet. About a quarter of the nail bed is black but it's positioned across two thirds of the base of the nail. I've now been told that I'll probably lose the nail after all.

Last night, figuring I couldn't make things worse I took a razor and made a small hole in the section that's grown out in the faint hope that the blood would come out. Of course it turned out to have already set and the whole activity pointless, but as I was doing this I had a disturbing realisation. It hurt like a bitch when I first did it, and for a few days afterwards, but after that the sensation in that finger changed in a very subtle way that I found hard to describe. I've now realise that it's because I can't feel the nail itself. I can't feel pressure, I can't feel pain even in the healthy parts of the nail. I felt the heat when I pressed the tip of the flame-sterilised razor against it but that sensation quickly vanished. When I bored through the nail and was scraping at the scab I felt utterly nothing. The rest of my finger feels completely normal; it's just the nail itself that's doing weird things.

I've resigned myself to losing the nail very soon, but I'm quietly wondering if I've done more damage than I realised.

Offline

 

#104 | Back to Top05-07-2010 10:52:08 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!
Registered: 12-10-2006
Posts: 2267

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Sorry about your hand.

Gio thanks for the advise and I will talk to the doctor about stuff hopefully before my insurance runs out. At least I have made arrangements to take my last dose of my vaccine.


"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

Offline

 

#105 | Back to Top05-12-2010 11:21:19 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
From: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Registered: 10-15-2006
Posts: 6018
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Syora wrote:

*runs to her ColdFX*

Not related to your questions, but if you have heart issues, don't use ColdFX. Just don't. My heart, which hasn't been doing the 'fish trapped in a bucket' thing for a while now, decided to freak right the fuck out over ColdFX. I did not approve.


Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Offline

 

#106 | Back to Top05-13-2010 01:41:28 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8731
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

satyreyes wrote:

Merck says that beer (and marijuana, and heroin) can cause men to develop breasts when overused.  No word on whether they make female breasts bigger, but I doubt it; it sounds like breast growth depends on the presence or absence of a certain threshold of estrogen, rather than scaling with the amount of estrogen.  Just bringing it up because this sounds like it could be the source of what KissFromARose heard.  emot-smile

Yes, that is true! I was assuming we were discussing women, but men can be subjected to estrogen in a smaller amount and grow boobies; women already have this minimal amount so no dice for them. But it is a dodgy thing, some guys can chug beer by the truckload for years, and the only boobs they ever get are fat pads that match their gut, others can be more sensitive to such influences. A lot of drugs, IIRC, particularly psychoactive ones, can cause gynecomastia. This also often happens to teenage boys during puberty. If the hormones happen to be a little off, you'll spend a couple years with boobs. No harm done, it's outgrown, but probably sucks for the guy.

Syora wrote:

So you hear all these things about when you are contagious with the flu. Some say you are most contagious a week before the symptoms, still contagious during, and some even say you stop being contagious five days after symptoms appear. What is myth? Does this vary with different illnesses? I've been wondering because I've felt something coming on, and my friend is sick at the moment.

Periods of potential transmission vary both for the virus/bacteria and for the age/health of the person with it. For the flu, according to the CDC, you're generally contagious from one day before symptoms appear to 5-7 days after. Children are contagious longer. In situations where you are given an antibiotic (obviously, not for the flu, but strep throat or such), you are no longer contagious 24 hours after the first dose of the antibiotic. A loose generalization based on what I've learned suggests that viruses are contagious sooner before you notice them; bacteria tends to have its effect as it multiplies, so you don't have as extended a period before you feel sick to infect other people. But in most cases, yes, you are contagious before you feel sick, and for some illness, you're actually the most contagious in that prodromal period.

crystalwren wrote:

I've resigned myself to losing the nail very soon, but I'm quietly wondering if I've done more damage than I realised.

In the future, opening a bloodnail is really only beneficial if done very shortly after it occurs, the reasons being as you stated--once it sets, it doesn't matter. If there's no pus or smell, it's not infected, which is your biggest concern having done that yourself. If your sensitivity didn't immediately disappear after drilling the hole (which would have suggested you clipped a nerve), then you're probably fine. Opening it up is drying out the blood under the nail, which separates the nail from your nerve tissues, making it numb. You've probably irritated a nerve. Unfortunately, the only thing there is to wait. Nerve related insults, like pinched nerves and loss of myelin and such take a long time to recover compared to what you're used to. It may be within the frame of months before you can really start worrying. For now just try to keep the area clean. If it gets swollen, cold, stinky, etc...get to a doctor.

Yasha wrote:

Not related to your questions, but if you have heart issues, don't use ColdFX. Just don't. My heart, which hasn't been doing the 'fish trapped in a bucket' thing for a while now, decided to freak right the fuck out over ColdFX. I did not approve.

ColdFX is superduper concentrated panax ginseng, which apparently can alter blood pressure and heart rate in sensitive individuals.


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#107 | Back to Top05-13-2010 07:32:04 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
From: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Registered: 10-15-2006
Posts: 6018
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Giovanna wrote:

fat pads

These are the best words in your post.

For content:

Yeah, I'm used to ginseng in smaller doses. My mom was some kinda pissed though that her pet cold remedy causes me to have arrhythmia.


Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Offline

 

#108 | Back to Top05-15-2010 01:46:23 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
From: New Orleans, Louisiana
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 10328
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

76's story in the Sexual Frustration Thread reminds me to ask this question.  A lot of time has elapsed since it happened -- this was in early 2003, my freshman year of college -- enough time that it doesn't really worry me anymore.  But I still wonder wtf.

I was lying in my extra-long single bed late at night, lights off, talking to my girlfriend on the phone.  We'd been talking for hours, having an emotionally intense conversation about love, sex, God, and various other things eighteen-year-olds talk about at night; I don't even remember.  The tone was very positive.

Suddenly, I started to hallucinate.  I saw an kidney-shaped blob in front of me, concave side up.  As I watched, from the concave part grew a stalk like a young plant coming up out of the ground in a time-lapse video.  For some reason, this was the most terrifying thing I had ever seen.

At that point all hell broke loose and I started seeing all kinds of crazy shapes.  A lot of demonic faces.  A crouching child facing away from me, and when he turned around I saw he had no face.  There are three possibly salient things to note about these hallucinations.  First, they weren't fixed in space; when I moved my head, they moved with it, so they were always in the same position relative to my eyeball (drifting slowly across it, actually), superimposed on the geography of my dorm room.  For the same reason, I saw them whether my eyes were open or closed.  Second, they terrified me beyond what was rational; it was like someone was mashing the Fear button of my medulla or amygdala or whatever whenever a new apparition appeared, not mediated at all by reason or deep breathing.  Third, I wasn't asleep -- I know because I continued talking with my girlfriend throughout the entire event -- and also wasn't hungry, dehydrated, or high.  The hallucinations lasted for about an hour, becoming fainter towards the tail end.  The emotional climax was the kidney blob at the beginning.  When not terrified by the midbrain masher, I was analytical and fascinated, and probably actually less scared than a reasonable person should be when they realize they're hallucinating demons for no obvious reason.  (I fully knew that what I was seeing wasn't real.)

So what happened?  Can people who are otherwise psychologically normal (okay, only slightly battered) have anomalous psychotic episodes?  Can your brain get sick of waiting up for you and go into REM without falling asleep first?  Can intense conversations make your pancreas secrete psilocybin?  Should I, in fact, be worried about this incident seven years after the fact, even if it hasn't recurred? Thank you!  emot-smile

Last edited by satyreyes (05-15-2010 01:48:31 AM)

Offline

 

#109 | Back to Top05-15-2010 02:56:16 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8731
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

satyreyes wrote:

Can your brain get sick of waiting up for you and go into REM without falling asleep first?

Sort of, yes. emot-keke To be honest, I haven't learned much of this sort of thing from nursing, but I am a brain science nerd so... people can have waking dream states. Basically half the brain thinks its asleep and half is awake and aware. It's an ass backwards version of lucid dreaming, and similar to the brain's state in sleepwalking--the brain is awake where motor function is involved in sleepwalking, or it wouldn't be able to organize movement or navigate through hallways and such. Yet it does. In your case, it's possible enough conscious components remained and some sensory parts of your brain went FUCK YOU I'M SLEEPING NAO. Of course, this isn't very different, if even remotely, from a balls out hallucination, but if it hasn't happened since, I would say it was a freak combination of some number of factors like the emotional intensity of the conversation and exhaustion. I wouldn't worry about it now. emot-keke


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#110 | Back to Top01-11-2011 03:00:00 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS
Registered: 01-15-2008
Posts: 4411

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

I just got two cavities filled and now on the back of my throat there is this weird, hard, white.  Thing.  The size of half and M&M.   It looks like a pimple or an eggsack just underneath the tissue and it is freaking me out.  The place where it is at feels dry and rough even when I'm drinking something, which is what led me to find it.  Nurse Spadaro, what fuckery is this?

Up-datish:  I don't think it's a tonsil stone either, since it doesn't reek or, yanno, come off.  And after poking it with a Q-tip there's a big hole in it, so I assume it's on a saliva gland, but I can't be sure.  the fuck the fuck.  Every place I go to try and find out what it is (and none of them ever have bloody pictures) says it's either a harmless tonsil stone or freaking cancer.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (01-11-2011 03:18:20 PM)

Offline

 

#111 | Back to Top02-01-2011 03:19:23 PM

Riri-kins
World's End
From: Cloud Nine
Registered: 09-22-2008
Posts: 2346

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Oh my God, this is embarassing.

Giovanna, um, what would you say is wrong with a woman who needs to urinate more than usual and kind of strains even after she finishes?


Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

Offline

 

#112 | Back to Top02-02-2011 01:28:01 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8731
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

First thought's a bladder infection, since those can manifest in a million obnoxious symptoms or none at all. Yay! Unless this was something gradual over weeks and weeks, that's going to be the first thing anyone thinks of or treats. Um...unless you might be pregnant. emot-redface

In my case, this was actually a massive ovarian cyst. So um, if the symptoms don't resolve after treatment for a bladder infection, don't ignore it. But don't assume the worst, just go to a doc, you'll be given a round of Bactrim or something.

OTIL: It could be a cyst in the tonsil, those won't come off exactly, they have to be lanced. Um, don't google them, but hop over to a doctor. The reason it's there is after dental work, the tonsils get pounded on since they're the closest part of your immunological filtration system. It's not a harmless tonsil stone if it's causing you discomfort, so don't take that crap. >emot-frown

Sorry I tooked so long. emot-frown


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#113 | Back to Top02-05-2011 11:46:43 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
From: Missouri, United States
Registered: 03-01-2007
Posts: 1243
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

How long do you think it before something like this is commonplace in clinics and hospitals.

I have no idea how quickly change moves in the medical industry, but if this is as legitimate as National Geographic makes it out to be, it's AWESOME, and could change countless lives.


Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

Offline

 

#114 | Back to Top02-06-2011 07:30:51 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress
From: Wuzzy Happy Akio Town (What?)
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 4694

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Gio, I need an opinion based on your awesome medical knowledge skillz.

I got stitches under my chin when I fell two days ago, and though I have to look straight up for anyone to actually see it, it's still close enough to my face that I'd really like it to heal well. I was told not to keep it covered because it needs air to heal, but at the same time, I feel like a band-aid might keep it germ free. Any suggestions on how to get it to heal as neatly as possible?

Offline

 

#115 | Back to Top02-07-2011 12:06:51 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8731
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Ashnod: Burn units are ALWAYS a loss for a medical facility. They're only usually run by huge hospitals that want bragging rights, because the cost of treatment for individuals with severe burns is astronomical and far beyond what any individual or insurance company will reimburse. They basically always take the treatment at a loss, but burns tend to be an area of very progressive research, so research and teaching hospitals tend to want them. In the economic downturn, burn units have been hit the hardest because they're a luxury item as far as a hospital's concerned. This skin gun would be an impressive feather in the cap for such a facility but it suffers from the same major problem that a lot of burn treatment does. It relies on living donor cells, which even if taken from the same person, are VERY. VERY. EXPENSIVE. IMO, the real future of burn treatment is in synthetic skins, which are still also insanely expensive to produce but I think show more promise in the long term. Harvesting cells from the same body that's been burned is never going to be the ideal solution because it's twice the trauma and very expensive to do. But this does sound awesome and a damn sight better than grafting mesh skins.

Razara: You know, even after my surgery I don't have a straight answer for you. I will offer this though: tattoo artists tell you to keep the tattoo moist--you want to prevent scabbing as much as possible in that situation because the scabs lead to scars that can mess with the ink. Keeping an incision dry is the classic way to prevent/detect infection early, and it's thought that it will speed recovery. However in major wound care, the goal is NEVER to let a large wound dry out, hence the packing with wet gauze. From my experience, the incisions that stayed under wraps the longest, and so were moist the longest, healed cleaner than the ones that didn't (my arms). My suggestion is to use the bandaid, but no neosporin or anything. It's not in a high risk area, so as long as you change the bandaid a couple times a day I don't think you need to worry about infection. If you really want to take all precautions, pre-moisten the bandaid with sterile saline or water and try to keep the area a little damp (not sopping wet), but clean. Don't use anything else; no neosporin, no peroxide, no nuffin. People are always in a great hurry to smear shit on wounds when the more you put on it, the more crap is getting in the way of the body's natural healing process.


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#116 | Back to Top02-07-2011 03:20:26 PM

Alvanista
Wakaba Wrangler
Registered: 08-16-2009
Posts: 15

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

This isn't very major, but has been bugging me for a while:

When I get my period cramps, the upper parts of my tighs hurt. It last for a day or two and goes away with painkillers/heating pad I use for cramps, and it's not an unbearable pain. I'm curious about what causes it, though. emot-redface

Offline

 

#117 | Back to Top02-07-2011 10:34:50 PM

Randamonian
Rose Bride
From: Australia
Registered: 11-07-2010
Posts: 102

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

uh, this is embarrasing to ask,
ahem, lately I've been digesting food really quickly and am hungry 2 hours later. I don't eat all that much, simple foods like a piece of fruit, yogurt and bread. But during that time, my body kinda makes weird sounds.... it might be gas, but it doesn't feel all that extreme.... it makes a growling sound though. I don't feel bloated or sick either.

So the question is, do these thing mean I might be lactose intolerant or can't handle bread? It happens mostly at work, unfortunantly. There I have all the above foods, and hot chocolate for breakfast. I also have to get up really early in the morning. Would you suggest more filling foods like oats and omelettes for breakfast and properly made lunches?

Offline

 

#118 | Back to Top02-08-2011 05:08:05 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8731
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Alvanista - Period cramps can, for some people, radiate because of local irritation to the nerves and muscles. Basically, you're clenching your thighs without realizing it because you're sore nearby. If it's not causing excessive pain, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if your periods are irregular or especially heavy, you may want to get checked out for things like polycystic ovarian disorder, which can cause those things and would result in radiated pain very easily.

Randamonian - It sounds like your diet is pretty light, so it's entirely possible you're not eating enough. If you've noticed that you're also very thirsty and pee a lot, you may be developing diabetes and should look into that, but aside from that, try eating foods that are gonna sit better. Fruit, yogurt, and plain white bread aren't going to satisfy the body because they're low in fat, fiber, and protein. Try using a whole grain bread, or something like oatmeal and omelettes definitely. Your body digests food slower if it's got some fat in it, so unless weight's an issue, make sure there's something like that in there, like non-diet yogurt or some cheese in your omelette. High-fiber foods also add to the feeling of fullness and prolong it. Whole grain's the way to go there.


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#119 | Back to Top02-08-2011 02:26:50 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS
Registered: 01-15-2008
Posts: 4411

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Giovanna wrote:

Randamonian - It sounds like your diet is pretty light, so it's entirely possible you're not eating enough. If you've noticed that you're also very thirsty and pee a lot, you may be developing diabetes and should look into that, but aside from that, try eating foods that are gonna sit better. Fruit, yogurt, and plain white bread aren't going to satisfy the body because they're low in fat, fiber, and protein. Try using a whole grain bread, or something like oatmeal and omelettes definitely. Your body digests food slower if it's got some fat in it, so unless weight's an issue, make sure there's something like that in there, like non-diet yogurt or some cheese in your omelette. High-fiber foods also add to the feeling of fullness and prolong it. Whole grain's the way to go there.

Huh, I always wondered what the stomach/intestinal growling thing was, since I have that same, very loud and embarrassing problem whether I am full or hungry.  I am going to ignore the bit about diabetes though since I do both those things (but how much peeing is 'a lot'?).  I just assumed it was due to my crazy crazy addiction to coke-cola/coke-zero (about 2-4 cans a day).  I would drink a lot, being addicted to the sugar or caffeine, but still be thirsty/dehydrated because they weren't exactly a great source of water. 


But then again drinking a lot of sugary soda could give one diabetes, couldn't it? emot-gonk


/is a mild hypochondriac, yes.

Offline

 

#120 | Back to Top02-08-2011 04:20:23 PM

Randamonian
Rose Bride
From: Australia
Registered: 11-07-2010
Posts: 102

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Yeah, I don't think I'm developing diabetes so I should definantly look into whole grains, because I eat mostly full cream dairy products and pretty basic vegetables and fruit. I get full pretty quickly so I'll eat something complex.

thank's for helping out.

Offline

 

#121 | Back to Top02-08-2011 04:58:07 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
From: Madrid, Spain
Registered: 11-26-2006
Posts: 1429
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Since I came back from Mexico, I have had the worst digestion ever. I eat and I immediately feel the urge to go to the bathroom. I've got white stool, green stool, liquid stool, hard stool and every kind of problem you can imagine.

And I came back from Mexico in SEPTEMBER. It's better now (it was crazy at first), but its still bugging me. My stools have this.. white bumps or something.

---

And another question. What can I do if I need a blood test, but have an immense fear to needles and get panic attacks when I get near to them? It's pretty well described, being a mix between this and this .

I really need those blood test, but every time I try I end up with a panic attack, fainting or attacking the nurse without even noticing. Could there be any way to... drug me or something, almost to make me fall asleep, without affecting the results? Is there any other way to get the blood aside from the arm, where I couldn't see it?

Last edited by Epi_lepsia (02-08-2011 05:00:58 PM)

Offline

 

#122 | Back to Top02-08-2011 08:11:25 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
From: Brisbane
Registered: 04-21-2009
Posts: 1172
Website

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Giovanna wrote:

if your periods are irregular or especially heavy, you may want to get checked out for things like polycystic ovarian disorder, which can cause those things and would result in radiated pain very easily.

Hey Gio, this reminds me-

I'm going on 29 but I'm still pretty irregular. I've mentioned it to one doctor, but I was told that some irregularity is normal. The problem is that every second or third period of late is extremely painful, with nausea and extreme bloating, a strong desire to eat everything that stays still and sometimes extreme tiredness. My BMs are usually effected as well. When I was a teenager the symptoms were so bad that my mother hauled me to a doctor to be put on the pill. All the symptoms disappeared, and I still go on the pill for roughly a three or four months a year before I stop taking them. After this the irregularity comes back but the other symptoms aren't nearly as bad. Given that I've recently discovered that my bewbs are riddled with cysts, I'm beginning to wonder if there's something a little more sinister going on. I don't have the problems with body hair, though, and I only get a couple of pimples on my face just before my period. And while I do indeed have a problem with weight, that's more to do with the cocktail of medications I've been on for the past seven months.

So what do you think? Is it worth hassling my doctor about this?

Offline

 

#123 | Back to Top02-08-2011 08:50:16 PM

Riri-kins
World's End
From: Cloud Nine
Registered: 09-22-2008
Posts: 2346

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Giovanna wrote:

First thought's a bladder infection, since those can manifest in a million obnoxious symptoms or none at all. Yay! Unless this was something gradual over weeks and weeks, that's going to be the first thing anyone thinks of or treats. Um...unless you might be pregnant. emot-redface

In my case, this was actually a massive ovarian cyst. So um, if the symptoms don't resolve after treatment for a bladder infection, don't ignore it. But don't assume the worst, just go to a doc, you'll be given a round of Bactrim or something.

Thanks so much. I went to the doctor, and you were absolutely right about it being an infection.


Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

Offline

 

#124 | Back to Top02-09-2011 03:49:36 PM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person
From: The Nightosphere
Registered: 07-09-2010
Posts: 178

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Alright, so I have panic attacks fairly often and the people around me expect me to jump right back into whatever I was doing, but I can't, I feel tired for hours after, my muscles feel sore, and I feel so dizzy, the vertigo is so intense I've almost fallen. Mostly I just feel like I need to sleep, I'll start nodding off even if I'm doing something important. I don't know if this is extremely common and I'm just all paranoid about it, it's just that I haven't met anyone who has panic attacks and feels this way after emot-confused

Offline

 

#125 | Back to Top02-16-2011 09:22:35 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!
Registered: 12-10-2006
Posts: 2267

Re: Ask Nurse Spadaro! Avoid public embarrassment!

Is there a safe over the counter , in the US to get rid of ear wax build up; or do I just need to talk to a Doctor.  I have had hearing sensitivity/pain for a few weeks and although I listen to my Ipod all day at work; it is not loud and my headphones sit over the ear and not in the ear canal. So I have no idea what is wrong besides the fact that I might have wax build up in the ears.


"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement