You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

Anime News Network asked Gio & Yasha to write an article about Utena, Empty Movement, and they totally called us superfans, omg. Think of it as a belated Valentine's to Utena, its fandom, and the excellent friendships we've made along the way. 20 Years of Utena Fandom with the Ultimate Superfans!!!

#51 | Back to Top03-26-2017 12:40:06 AM

yusaku
String Theorist
From: Kansas City
Registered: 03-09-2014
Posts: 176

Re: Feminist Anime

SaigonAlice wrote:

emot-keke^Y'all really are oblivious. Kill la Kill is not fucking feminist. What kind of feminist anime SEXUALISES TEEN GIRLS????? That's disgusting and actually pedophillic. Japan struggles with this a lot what with lolicon and high school girl fetishes but I'm surprised to see westerners never ever pointing it out either.

A lot of us westerners have noticed the flood of teenage age female cast in manga. We simply stopped buying a lot of manga. Most comic book shops reduced their manga stock ten years ago. I started buying a lot of independent and Marvel comics. Look how many Marvel and D.C. characters had their own movies came before the Ghost in the Shell movie came out. American men like their women to look like women. Motoko in Ghost in the Shell has a lot of appeal because of her mature looks. Manga has lost a lot of fans over the last decade because of the overly youthful female characters in manga. However, using youthful characters can be a useful device to remove the sexual energy from the story.

Haibane Remnai would not be effective in developing the characters if the characters were mature women living in a dormitory. It would be a distraction from the story. Utena has so many fine points using symbols, images, and complex plots that it would be a huge distraction if the female characters were mature. We see this theme in Niea Under Seven which is mostly an exploration of race and class.

There is also the fact a lot of anime is marketed towards younger audiences as well as to adults. We must keep that in mind. For older fans like myself, I collect the older manga and a few of newer anime that adheres to the traditional standards.


***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

Offline

 

#52 | Back to Top03-26-2017 01:41:20 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess
Registered: 04-09-2007
Posts: 2753

Re: Feminist Anime

yusaku wrote:

A lot of us westerners have noticed the flood of teenage age female cast in manga. We simply stopped buying a lot of manga.

Considering the real manga boom in the States seemed to center around a female readership and female leads from Sailor Moon to Gunsmith Cats, I'm not sure there's a correlation there at all.


yusaku wrote:

Look how many Marvel and D.C. characters had their own movies came before the Ghost in the Shell movie came out.

Considering that adapting Asian anything into "western" productions is pretty rare, the Ghost in the Shell movie has been available in the United States, commercially, for over twenty years. And, it was adapted to a movie within only years of the comic being published. Ghost in the Shell inarguably beat most of Marvel's characters to the big screen, but then, heck, so did St Trinian's and Dennis the Menace.

yusaku wrote:

American men like their women to look like women.

Whereas Japanese prefer... children? Robots?

Wherever you're going with that, if you're suggesting that there isn't a longstanding tradition of pedo or ephebe aspects to anglophone entertainment and culture, you'd be dead wrong.


yusaku wrote:

Motoko in Ghost in the Shell has a lot of appeal because of her mature looks. Manga has lost a lot of fans over the last decade because of the overly youthful female characters in manga. However, using youthful characters can be a useful device to remove the sexual energy from the story.

That's pretty ridiculous and assumes that we're all reading manga/comics for wank material and nothing else. For my money, the GitS manga was successful in the States, upon release, because a) it was much closer to traditional forms of anglophone comics than a lot of manga, and b) it's really, really good.

yusaku wrote:

Haibane Remnai would not be effective in developing the characters if the characters were mature women living in a dormitory. It would be a distraction from the story. Utena has so many fine points using symbols, images, and complex plots that it would be a huge distraction if the female characters were mature. We see this theme in Niea Under Seven which is mostly an exploration of race and class.

I think, here, we have to make a distinction between characters who have sexualities, that is to say, human beings, and characters who are repeatedly or continuously objectified in a sexual fashion. There is a difference, and that difference matters on several fronts.

yusaku wrote:

There is also the fact a lot of anime is marketed towards younger audiences as well as to adults. We must keep that in mind. For older fans like myself, I collect the older manga and a few of newer anime that adheres to the traditional standards.

I'm not sure these "traditional standards" at least judging by the rest of your post, have ever existed. Would you mind laying out exactly what you mean by that phrase, though?


My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Offline

 

#53 | Back to Top03-27-2017 10:01:18 PM

yusaku
String Theorist
From: Kansas City
Registered: 03-09-2014
Posts: 176

Re: Feminist Anime

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

yusaku wrote:

A lot of us westerners have noticed the flood of teenage age female cast in manga. We simply stopped buying a lot of manga.

Considering the real manga boom in the States seemed to center around a female readership and female leads from Sailor Moon to Gunsmith Cats, I'm not sure there's a correlation there at all.

What I have witness is all the comic stores in my area have drastically reduced their manga stocks in 2005 and never built it back. I remember because I was trying to sell my manga collection that year. I never was too comfortable with shopping at the big retailers for anime and I make my assertions on the decline on manga sales by what I seen in comic book shops. There are only a precious few ladies that shop in the comic shops.


yusaku wrote:

Look how many Marvel and D.C. characters had their own movies came before the Ghost in the Shell movie came out.

Considering that adapting Asian anything into "western" productions is pretty rare, the Ghost in the Shell movie has been available in the United States, commercially, for over twenty years. And, it was adapted to a movie within only years of the comic being published. Ghost in the Shell inarguably beat most of Marvel's characters to the big screen, but then, heck, so did St Trinian's and Dennis the Menace.

I was referring to the live action Ghost in the Shell movie. I meant to say that we have had a lot more live action D.C. and Marvel movies come to the big screen in comparison to the anime themed titles.

yusaku wrote:

American men like their women to look like women.

Whereas Japanese prefer... children? Robots?

It is not my intention to attack Japanese men, but I am in defense of Western men. The post previous to mine was suggesting that western men in general are in support of pedo material because we like anime. I was making a clear declaration that was not the case.

Wherever you're going with that, if you're suggesting that there isn't a longstanding tradition of pedo or ephebe aspects to anglophone entertainment and culture, you'd be dead wrong.

Never said that extremists did not exist on our population. I was saying pedo behavior is exception not the rule.


yusaku wrote:

Motoko in Ghost in the Shell has a lot of appeal because of her mature looks. Manga has lost a lot of fans over the last decade because of the overly youthful female characters in manga. However, using youthful characters can be a useful device to remove the sexual energy from the story.

That's pretty ridiculous and assumes that we're all reading manga/comics for wank material and nothing else. For my money, the GitS manga was successful in the States, upon release, because a) it was much closer to traditional forms of anglophone comics than a lot of manga, and b) it's really, really good.

I never said Motoko's beauty was Ghost in the Shell's only attraction. I am saying her beauty does help sell the anime/manga.

yusaku wrote:

Haibane Remnai would not be effective in developing the characters if the characters were mature women living in a dormitory. It would be a distraction from the story. Utena  Chu... so many fine points using symbols, images, and complex plots that it would be a huge distraction if the female characters were mature. We see this theme in Niea Under Seven which is mostly an exploration of race and class.

I think, here, we have to make a distinction between characters who have sexualities, that is to say, human beings, and characters who are repeatedly or continuously objectified in a sexual fashion. There is a difference, and that difference matters on several fronts.

...clarify.


yusaku wrote:

There is also the fact a lot of anime is marketed towards younger audiences as well as to adults. We must keep that in mind. For older fans like myself, I collect the older manga and a few of newer anime that adheres to the traditional standards.

I meant I collect what is common to the mainstream population. I can easily sell and trade my collection because I choose the best of the "common fair" I like to share my collection.

I'm not sure these "traditional standards" at least judging by the rest of your post, have ever existed. Would you mind laying out exactly what you mean by that phrase, though?


***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

Offline

 

#54 | Back to Top03-29-2017 03:16:16 PM

itavin
Mikage Mistruster
From: is-real
Registered: 10-21-2016
Posts: 68

Re: Feminist Anime

SaigonAlice wrote:

emot-keke^Y'all really are oblivious. Kill la Kill is not fucking feminist. What kind of feminist anime SEXUALISES TEEN GIRLS????? That's disgusting and actually pedophillic. Japan struggles with this a lot what with lolicon and high school girl fetishes but I'm surprised to see westerners never ever pointing it out either.

First off, it isnt pedophillic it is ephebeophlic since the main characters are ages 15-19 so it cant be pedophillic. Second, I think the word sexualized is a bit wrong hear. one of the major ideas in kill la kill is shamefulness vs shamelessness, where in embarrassment of wearing a skimpy ungraded uniform (a metaphore for how "revealing" your self is a form of power rather then a form of weakness) makes you weak, while the lack of it makes you stronger. So the fanservice and nudity hear are like the nudity in sailor moon, not sexual, but metaphorical.

Also, for those who want feminist anime The tale of princess kaguya and Full moon, because no one saw them and i drives me insane.


If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life...  Chu...(mind_game)

Offline

 

#55 | Back to Top03-29-2017 04:08:50 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess
Registered: 04-09-2007
Posts: 2753

Re: Feminist Anime

itavin wrote:

SaigonAlice wrote:

emot-keke^Y'all really are oblivious. Kill la Kill is not fucking feminist. What kind of feminist anime SEXUALISES TEEN GIRLS????? That's disgusting and actually pedophillic. Japan struggles with this a lot what with lolicon and high school girl fetishes but I'm surprised to see westerners never ever pointing it out either.

First off, it isnt pedophillic it is ephebeophlic since the main characters are ages 15-19 so it cant be pedophillic. Second, I think the word sexualized is a bit wrong hear. one of the major ideas in kill la kill is shamefulness vs shamelessness, where in embarrassment of wearing a skimpy ungraded uniform (a metaphore for how "revealing" your self is a form of power rather then a form of weakness) makes you weak, while the lack of it makes you stronger. So the fanservice and nudity hear are like the nudity in sailor moon, not sexual, but metaphorical.

Also, for those who want feminist anime The tale of princess kaguya and Full moon, because no one saw them and i drives me insane.

That metaphor might be a little more, well, non-sexually-indulgent if it wasn't 99% an excuse for teenage girls in dental floss posing in exaggerated fashion. As well, the story is crafted to exploit this stylistic choice to overtly and overly sexualize teenage girls. It's not like this is reality where cause and effect are beyond the show runners, or a fait accompli situation which they are making the best of. They chose to shape a world this way, rules and metaphors included.

I'm reminded of Kate Beaton's "this bullet bra represents my heritage!" bit.

I think SaigonAlice is overextending her accusations, but you're protesting too much, too.


My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Offline

 

#56 | Back to Top03-30-2017 12:51:21 PM

YamPuff
Eternal Eschatologist
Registered: 02-13-2007
Posts: 923

Re: Feminist Anime

My point for Kill la Kill is that even with the abundance of crazy inappropriate fanservice, the female characters are treated with respect narratively; in that they have full personalities, satisfying character arcs and character development, plus complex relationships with each other. I can ignore the fanservice because in the end I am watching an interesting, crazy-as-balls show with two female leads driving the plot with no shitty romance or random dude showing up to save the day. I totally understand why people don't like it or feel uncomfortable watching it - and by no means am I defending it as high art or a piece of brilliant feminist fiction. But I have seen much worse drivel going out of it's way to overtly promote feminism and failing spectacularly, usually in the portrayal of female characters themselves. You know, the ones that have a STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMAN who wears pants and acts all tough and mean till the right love interest crosses her path. emot-rolleyes

Not an anime but I nominate Moana highly!! Just saw it yesterday and wow - I did not expect it to be that good!


http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

Offline

 

#57 | Back to Top03-31-2017 09:26:44 AM

SaigonAlice
Juri Jeerer
Registered: 09-13-2016
Posts: 49

Re: Feminist Anime

itavin wrote:

SaigonAlice wrote:

emot-keke^Y'all really are oblivious. Kill la Kill is not fucking feminist. What kind of feminist anime SEXUALISES TEEN GIRLS????? That's disgusting and actually pedophillic. Japan struggles with this a lot what with lolicon and high school girl fetishes but I'm surprised to see westerners never ever pointing it out either.

First off, it isnt pedophillic it is ephebeophlic since the main characters are ages 15-19 so it cant be pedophillic. Second, I think the word sexualized is a bit wrong hear. one of the major ideas in kill la kill is shamefulness vs shamelessness, where in embarrassment of wearing a skimpy ungraded uniform (a metaphore for how "revealing" your self is a form of power rather then a form of weakness) makes you weak, while the lack of it makes you stronger. So the fanservice and nudity hear are like the nudity in sailor moon, not sexual, but metaphorical.

Also, for those who want feminist anime The tale of princess kaguya and Full moon, because no one saw them and i drives me insane.

Because sexualising teenagers is that much higher comparatively on the morality scale, isn't it? :-) Don't be obtuse, it's not cute. And I assure you the word pedophillia can be safely applied to sexual assault of 15-17 year olds, no one in a more practical setting would correct me on this.

Well, except for you, of course.


Thân em như quả mít trên cây,
Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.
Quân tử có yêu thì đóng cọc,
Xin đừng mân mó nhựa ra tay. - Hồ Xuân Hương

Offline

 

#58 | Back to Top03-31-2017 03:19:29 PM

itavin
Mikage Mistruster
From: is-real
Registered: 10-21-2016
Posts: 68

Re: Feminist Anime

So I just want to clear out a thew things on my thoughts on kill la kill. I believe that the director of the series, hiroyuki imaishi did not put the "fanservice" in order to be sexulaiziton, but to put the idea's and concepts of the magical girl and high school battle genre's in an over the top way, as more of a celebration off all of the things that make the genre great. I believe so because A- The Rest of imaishi's anime presented an over the top representation of their genre's and concepts and B- that most of Imaishi's work weren't fanservice related and more epic scale's and over the top action. I do however understand why some people will find the fanservice weird and insulting, while I (and maybe othere's) see it as a thing that enhances the idea's of the shows, or just an obstacle that needs to be overcome to enjoy the series. But isnt that the beauty of art? That you can discuss the meaning of something in a show, and whether its appropriate and meaningful or insulting and unnecessary? And unlike shows like To-love ru, Highschool DXD and shows like it which is clear that there sexulaizing for money grabbing, in kill la kill its debatable and there are arguments for both sides of the coin.

Also SaigonAlice, I really didn't intend for it to seem like I am obtuse, I am sorry if that's what you got from my comment, but I tried to make a kind of salty joke before explaining my real point about kill la kill. I do not support sexual assault in an way, be it children, teens or adults. I dont justify ephebeophlia, pedophillia or any type of philia.

PS I dont even think the show is feminist, as in being a show about feminism, but I do think that the female cast are interesting characters.

I dont want to leave a comment without contributing a show so, Kuzu no Honkai, while not about feminism, is still a show with great female characters that, while feel sexualized in the sex scenes, get the same amount of respect as the men, if not more in there character arc's. Also you might get some serious Juri vibes with Sanae.


If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life...  Chu...(mind_game)

Offline

 

#59 | Back to Top03-31-2017 06:15:38 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess
Registered: 04-09-2007
Posts: 2753

Re: Feminist Anime

Please everyone (myself included), let's try to not make this too personal, yes?

itavin wrote:

The Rest of imaishi's anime presented an over the top representation of their genre's and concepts and B- that most of Imaishi's work weren't fanservice related and more epic scale's and over the top action.

Before Kill la Kill, he directed some Dead Leaves, Re: Cutey Honey, Gurren Lagann, and Panty and Stocking.

Those are all highly sexualized and most of them are wall to wall with "comedically" objectifying, but still very glam objectifying imagery and scenarios.

I love Re: Cutey Honey, but let's not pretend it's main job isn't to be sexy fun.

Gurren Lagann took the Gainax Bounce to its extreme. And, yes, that's a case of having its cake and eating it too.

If anything, he had a solid track record for putting over-sexualization at the fore in everything he'd directed. Which, can be an entirely valid choice. But, it's got to be owned, and it can and does affect other aspects of a show, including how genuinely empowering or respectful it is, or not, to certain portions of the audience or general population.

I'm not against him, or particularly, any of those series, but Panty & Stocking, Re CH, and Gurren are all fanservice-heavy. Incredibly so.

His followup to Kill la Kill was literally titled, Sex and Violence with Mach Speed.

SaigonAlice wrote:

Because sexualising teenagers is that much higher comparatively on the morality scale, isn't it? :-) Don't be obtuse, it's not cute. And I assure you the word pedophillia can be safely applied to sexual assault of 15-17 year olds, no one in a more practical setting would correct me on this.

There probably is a discussion worth having (and having again) re what kind of sexuality teenagers have, and if and how it should be expressed in entertainment, but both the authors and the audiences need to keep in mind that everything has potential benefits and potential costs. The cost of delving into teenage sexuality, something anime, as much of it is traditionally aimed at children-to-young-adults (it is, yo), does often explore, has to be weighed before production, but also, every time we engage as an audience. It'd be hypocritical of us, on an Utena board, to pretend it away or hand wave it off. And, it would probably be hypocritical of us, to pretend that it isn't sometimes a very useful and affecting component.

Touga and his new father, in another anime, with the exact same animation, could've been a "romantic" scene. I wouldn't have put it past any number of productions.

There is an argument that, in the movie, when Utena and Anthy lie down, and there's the sound of a zipper, that's a sexual cue too far, for a movie about fourteen year olds. Simultaneously, no fourteen year olds were actually involved in the process until the point of audience, and those fourteen year olds probably know that sometimes people lie down and a zipper comes undone, and that means something.

We can't make this into a clear-cutting exercise, but we can't wave it off, either.


My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Offline

 

#60 | Back to Top04-04-2017 11:26:28 AM

YamPuff
Eternal Eschatologist
Registered: 02-13-2007
Posts: 923

Re: Feminist Anime

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

SaigonAlice wrote:

Because sexualising teenagers is that much higher comparatively on the morality scale, isn't it? :-) Don't be obtuse, it's not cute. And I assure you the word pedophillia can be safely applied to sexual assault of 15-17 year olds, no one in a more practical setting would correct me on this.

There probably is a discussion worth having (and having again) re what kind of sexuality teenagers have, and if and how it should be expressed in entertainment, but both the authors and the audiences need to keep in mind that everything has potential benefits and potential costs. The cost of delving into teenage sexuality, something anime, as much of it is traditionally aimed at children-to-young-adults (it is, yo), does often explore, has to be weighed before production, but also, every time we engage as an audience. It'd be hypocritical of us, on an Utena board, to pretend it away or hand wave it off. And, it would probably be hypocritical of us, to pretend that it isn't sometimes a very useful and affecting component.

Touga and his new father, in another anime, with the exact same animation, could've been a "romantic" scene. I wouldn't have put it past any number of productions.

There is an argument that, in the movie, when Utena and Anthy lie down, and there's the sound of a zipper, that's a sexual cue too far, for a movie about fourteen year olds. Simultaneously, no fourteen year olds were actually involved in the process until the point of audience, and those fourteen year olds probably know that sometimes people lie down and a zipper comes undone, and that means something.

We can't make this into a clear-cutting exercise, but we can't wave it off, either.

Age does not matter to me much in the context of a cartoon. Cartoon characters don't have ages, they don't exist, they are drawings. I know an artist who used to draw obvious lolicon and state THE CHARACTER IS OVER 18 in each description. It's common for ages to be changed when anime & manga are westernized, with 14yo's becoming magically 18 so it's more palatable to western sensibilities. What matters to me more is the portrayal and context. For example, there's a yaoi manga were the uke is 18, but he drawn in every way to evoke the 'shota' aesthetic, with a body like a little girl and giant sparkly eyes. On the other hand, you have a josei or shoujo manga where the character is 15, looks her age and there might be a sex scene with her boyfriend. I'm sorry but between those two cases I choose the 'underage' one.

Back to Kill la Kill, if you dubbed it and changed their ages to 18 and said the school is a college, no one would ever know, it would look legit, and they could easily pass as 18.

I think there is also the question of at what point does fanservice or male-gaze-y shots make something not feminist? Generally the only point against Kill la Kill is the fanservice. Yet you would find a series with no fanservice that treats women like dolls, or fancy lamps, or of no importance at all. Does one point negate the other? (Again, not really arguing here that Kill la Kill IS a feminist piece, just using it because I think given the nature of the series, is polarizing and  a good point for argument)

Last edited by YamPuff (04-04-2017 11:27:34 AM)


http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

Offline

 

#61 | Back to Top04-04-2017 04:07:51 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS
Registered: 01-15-2008
Posts: 4407

Re: Feminist Anime

My big beef is this whole, sexualization of women's bodies, using women's bodies as statements or metaphors or ways to enhance motifs or meanings that have nothing to do with women's desires, goals, and struggles... is often just as much objectifying women's bodies as it is to just straight up use them to titillate male fans.  You're using our bodies, or representations of them, as tools

If it was less common, then it wouldn't be a problem.  But it's damn near everywhere in western comics and anime. Your point may be some grand existential metaphor or allegory for how you personally and usually quite narrowly define female empowerment, but it's women's bodies you are using.  It's women's bodies being seen near CONSTANTLY in sexual contexts, having that be absorbed by male consumers.  That kind of repeated exposure to one type of idealized woman and constantly being gratified from it is at least one place where entitlement stems. 

And in doing this, the insecurity of young female consumers isn't considered (is this what I'm supposed to be? Is this what people want?).  Their comfort with with being portrayed as sexual, always always sexy no-matter what else, isn't considered.  What they might like to see instead isn't considered.  But those male consumers, who really really like the sexy?  Well, this anime may be ABOUT some really deep, pro-women stuff, but here are some half-naked dolls and pillows for them to ejaculate over.  Quite considerate. 

Surely their are other visuals you can use to tell your story, or impart your message.  I know for a fact there are other bodies. 

Also, there is difference between portraying sex, or nudity, and objectification/sexualization.  Someone else could go into better detail what those distinctions are and how to spot the difference, but most of my ability to do so honestly just comes from being a grown ass woman who identifies and experiences life as a woman, who has seen a lot of anime and is pretty familiar with the genre(s) shorthands.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (04-05-2017 07:24:38 PM)

Offline

 

#62 | Back to Top04-05-2017 06:51:09 AM

malna
Caretaker
From: Poland
Registered: 10-03-2011
Posts: 209

Re: Feminist Anime

Hmm I don't know. What if manga industry is not entirely to blame for draconian beauty standards http://sculptures.website/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Greek-Sculpture-David-by-Michelangelo.jpg, fanservice http://www.theoi.com/image/S10.15Aphrodite.jpg and objectification/sexualization https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/9e/90/48/9e9048e1602e7d9b613a3d43782f84e8.jpg http://2static1.fjcdn.com/comments/Lol+i+think+ancient+greek+and+roman+statues+of+gods+_92ca194334c9530abb617fc9b3d5db68.jpg?

It seems like going against something way deeper than just corporate money.
Honestly, to me it's a tough problem to tackle. Personally I tend to hate vulgar fanservice but... ughh, nope, really don't know.


a lot of hope in one man tent

Offline

 

#63 | Back to Top04-12-2017 04:22:04 AM

SaigonAlice
Juri Jeerer
Registered: 09-13-2016
Posts: 49

Re: Feminist Anime

YamPuff wrote:

Age does not matter to me much in the context of a cartoon. Cartoon characters don't have ages, they don't exist, they are drawings. I know an artist who used to draw obvious lolicon and state THE CHARACTER IS OVER 18 in each description. It's common for ages to be changed when anime & manga are westernized, with 14yo's becoming magically 18 so it's more palatable to western sensibilities. What matters to me more is the portrayal and context. For example, there's a yaoi manga were the uke is 18, but he drawn in every way to evoke the 'shota' aesthetic, with a body like a little girl and giant sparkly eyes. On the other hand, you have a josei or shoujo manga where the character is 15, looks her age and there might be a sex scene with her boyfriend. I'm sorry but between those two cases I choose the 'underage' one.

Back to Kill la Kill, if you dubbed it and changed their ages to 18 and said the school is a college, no one would ever know, it would look legit, and they could easily pass as 18.

I think there is also the question of at what point does fanservice or male-gaze-y shots make something not feminist? Generally the only point against Kill la Kill is the fanservice. Yet you would find a series with no fanservice that treats women like dolls, or fancy lamps, or of no importance at all. Does one point negate the other? (Again, not really arguing here that Kill la Kill IS a feminist piece, just using it because I think given the nature of the series, is polarizing and  a good point for argument)

You're....friends....with someone....who draws....child pornography....I'm speechless...a self proclaimed feminist is buddy buddy with a child pornographer holy shit.

I'm just going to let you know off the bat that I'm actualy seventeen, a minor, and any media, not just anime, portraying shitty fanservice of teenagers my age is fucking predatory and disgusting and almost exclusively for the entertainment of adult men.

I really wanted to see you adults as cool progressive role models. But I guess just like in the lyrics of Truth, just like what happened to the entire cast of Revolutionary Girl Utena (God, I can just taste that sweet irony) I as a teenager have been hugely disappointed by adults. Like Akio, you claim to be our sanctuary but you are no less of a poison than the rest. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by SaigonAlice (04-12-2017 04:35:28 AM)


Thân em như quả mít trên cây,
Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.
Quân tử có yêu thì đóng cọc,
Xin đừng mân mó nhựa ra tay. - Hồ Xuân Hương

Offline

 

#64 | Back to Top04-12-2017 01:28:05 PM

YamPuff
Eternal Eschatologist
Registered: 02-13-2007
Posts: 923

Re: Feminist Anime

Uh nowhere did I say I was friends with this person?? Sorry, but if you're going to put words in my mouth so you can feel righteously outraged, then I'm out.


http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

Offline

 

#65 | Back to Top04-12-2017 05:58:03 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8617
Website

Re: Feminist Anime

I wrote a considered and nuanced response to this exchange, focusing on how youth is portrayed in media, and what constitutes maturity, but then I realized:

SaigonAlice wrote:

I really wanted to see you adults as cool progressive role models. But I guess just like in the lyrics of Truth, just like what happened to the entire cast of Revolutionary Girl Utena (God, I can just taste that sweet irony) I as a teenager have been hugely disappointed by adults. Like Akio, you claim to be our sanctuary but you are no less of a poison than the rest. Thanks a lot.

...that I'm the Akio in this comparison. So...fair, I guess.

You are entitled to your righteous anger, of course, but please understand that you shut down any dialogue this way. Learning and growing is a two way street, and if you care to try and reach any of us so called poisonous adults, you have to try and do better by us than comparing us to Akio. Believe it or not, a lot of us aren't very far from where you are, and at least remember our time as minors pretty clearly. You can demonize us based on age, but that will just incline us to do the same, and ends in arguments we've all no doubt had or seen before, that no one learned anything from.

You're on an Utena forum. We are, most of us, radically progressive, and most of us have stood where you are, burning adults at the stake for things they clearly don't understand. Now we're the adults. We didn't stop feeling the way you do. We didn't drop our pink hats and outrage to start grabbing 14 year olds and shooting black people. You're a year from majority, is that your plan? Or might it be that things are complicated and adults aren't only sanctuary or sinner?

We're all here to talk. We are all here to listen.


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#66 | Back to Top04-13-2017 02:31:36 AM

SaigonAlice
Juri Jeerer
Registered: 09-13-2016
Posts: 49

Re: Feminist Anime

YamPuff wrote:

Uh nowhere did I say I was friends with this person?? Sorry, but if you're going to put words in my mouth so you can feel righteously outraged, then I'm out.

God it was late at night and I was being overly emotional and presumptuous. I really went off my handle there. My apologies, though I still stand by the rest of the stuff I've said.

Now that I'm a tad bit calmer I really think that in the first place, it's just arbitrary to tack the feminist label on anime, a mostly very Japanese genre of animation, if you're a westerner. What constitutes as ground-breaking and promoting gender equality in Japan could be absolutely normal and bog-standard writing back here in the West. Take, for example, Madoka - people here praised it as feminist and enlightened and yada yada but to the average Japanese feminist it'd probably just be moeblob torture porn (or even WORSE if you consider how Madoka tore down the Magical Girl genre, something that was originally empowering for Japanese girls). And yes, I do think the  viewpoint of the intended audience i.e. Japanese people takes precedent here.

In the end you can attach any buzzword to an anime, not just feminist but pro-LGBT / PoC Representation /  blah blah blah but unless you know the sociocultural context it's a fundamentally a futile exercise. Labels SHOULD have a meaning, a weight to it, you can't just award it to anything vaguely women-friendly.

Anyway everything I just said can be neatly defined by the concept of "Cultural Imperialism". Check the Wikipedia article out if you want, or not, your choice.

Giovanna wrote:

You are entitled to your righteous anger, of course, but please understand that you shut down any dialogue this way. Learning and growing is a two way street, and if you care to try and reach any of us so called poisonous adults, you have to try and do better by us than comparing us to Akio. Believe it or not, a lot of us aren't very far from where you are, and at least remember our time as minors pretty clearly. You can demonize us based on age, but that will just incline us to do the same, and ends in arguments we've all no doubt had or seen before, that no one learned anything from.

You're on an Utena forum. We are, most of us, radically progressive, and most of us have stood where you are, burning adults at the stake for things they clearly don't understand. Now we're the adults. We didn't stop feeling the way you do. We didn't drop our pink hats and outrage to start grabbing 14 year olds and shooting black people. You're a year from majority, is that your plan? Or might it be that things are complicated and adults aren't only sanctuary or sinner?

We're all here to talk. We are all here to listen.

I really did not want to butt heads with you Giovanna, I really do, especially since I did not actually have you in mind as the "poisounous adults" when I crytyped wrote that post. But here we are. I'll promise to stay calm at least.

So. There are some things that I think are worth discussing, certainly. Your favourite Pizza topping? Who was your first pokemon starter? Was the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bomb actually justified? Etc etc. 

But when it's something like pedophillia with real actual effects on real actual people, that's when it stops being a philosophical posturing exercise. It really shouldn't be a matter of debate to begin with. People are being hurt, and that's not okay. That's not okay at all.  Gray moralities exist yes, but some things really are just black and white. Some things really are unforgivable, that are blatantly without ambiguity fucking shitty as hell.

And fictional child porn actually does hurt people. I've had friends, who mind you are adolescent Asian girls, targeted by older White men. They have to honest to god fear for their life. Ever heard of the yellow fever craze? Yeah, that's VERY MUCH rooted in the Alt-Right Anime culture that shit like lolicon and high school girl animes are VERY MUCH a part of. Granted this is an extreme case -  but it happens.

And if we're talking about the home country of lolicon / shotacon / general content sexualising high schoolers then hooooooooo boy its bad. I'm just going to link to this article for this one (and finally, something more empirical).

Ken Akamatsu, who lobbies lawmakers on behalf of the Japan Cartoonists Association, said a total ban on explicit content would damage the entire industry, making creators too scared to put pen to paper in case they risked breaking the rules.
He said the characters were imaginary, so unlike real child porn, no one was hurt.
"Actual children suffering and crying is not acceptable. But manga doesn't involve actual children. So there are no actual victims," he said.

Child welfare advocates disagree.
Shihoko Fujiwara runs Lighthouse, a nonprofit for exploited children. She told CNN she once worked on a case where a predator used a cartoon to convince a child that sex abuse was normal. "So the pedophiles might bring the animation and say 'this is how you practice with adults,'" she said.

While no link has been made between anime, manga and child abuse, Japan is facing a "serious" child abuse problem, according to a White Paper issued by e National Police Agency in March.
The paper said the number of child abuse victims jumped 20% between 2011 and 2012, and the number of victims, arrests and cases are at their highest levels since they started compiling statistics in 1999.

At the same time, the number of cleared child pornography crime cases rose to 1,596, the highest ever recorded, the paper said. Most -- 85% -- were Internet-related. The figures inspired the U.S. State Department to label Japan as an "international hub" for producing and trafficking child pornography.

The U.S. report noted that no national law addresses the "unfettered availability of sexual explicit cartoons, comics and video games, some of which depicted scenes of violent sexual abuse and the rape of children."
It added: 'While the NPA continued to maintain that no link was established between these animated images and child victimization, other experts suggested children are harmed by a culture that appears to accept child sexual abuse."

Chu...

So yeah...there are real actual effects on real actual people.

I do realise now that I have been unfairly demonising / idealising you guys, that's my bad. People are multifaceted. But an Issue like this isn't, it's not as complex as it's being made out as.

Last edited by SaigonAlice (04-13-2017 02:33:45 AM)


Thân em như quả mít trên cây,
Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.
Quân tử có yêu thì đóng cọc,
Xin đừng mân mó nhựa ra tay. - Hồ Xuân Hương

Offline

 

#67 | Back to Top04-13-2017 06:08:53 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess
Registered: 04-09-2007
Posts: 2753

Re: Feminist Anime

I love the varied nature of responses in this thread, lately, though I agree with some and do, I admit, shudder at some others. But, I think both the more reductive we get with this, and the more defensive we get, the less we can actually healthily consider or discuss. And, these are things worth discussing, and worth considering, passionately, but fairly, and with room to expand our horizons if the situations calls for it.

SaigonAlice wrote:

And if we're talking about the home country of lolicon / shotacon / general content sexualising high schoolers then hooooooooo boy its bad. I'm just going to link to this article for this one (and finally, something more empirical).

Again, anglophone comics are not remotely free from pedophilic content or other sexualization of underage characters. Nor, is the rest English-language entertainment in other mediums.

It's easy to play this off as a Japanese problem, or something unique to that wacky foreign land, but I think that's a mistake and essentially hypocritical. We've made two movies in English from a novel that's explicitly and grotesquely about child abuse and child rape, and both times Lolita has been filmed, it's been shifted from nightmarish to explicitly erotic.

A language-culture that provides the world with 4chan on a regular basis, really can't cast too many stones, but then, most language-cultures thriving today can do so without opening their own sins to the light. As malna said, Japan may not be solely at fault here, for a global and historic issue.

CNN, for that matter, has a history of fear-mongering and broadly inaccurate coverage of sex in Asia, that's been commented on, widely, for years. That article linked, takes over two thirds of its allotted space to bother clarifying that a $3.6 billion dollar industry has only a small subsection that presents pedophilic content, which, when we talk about any multimillion (or multi-billion) dollar industry is going to be true.

Japan has its problems. Manga has its problems. But, the reason many readers from English-language countries and communities go straight to loli or whatever, is because that's what we see scanlated or posted repetitively online and it sticks in your head, not because it reflects general content overall. It's the same reason most American or British anime fans don't think of Doraemon or the other genuine big deal anime right off the bat, while pretty much anyone in Japan would.

Dr Bryce's quotes, especially towards the end, are sound, but they're also given no grounding or context. That's dangerously substandard reporting, but it's entirely in line with how CNN has traditionally treated Asian cultures in these kinds of articles.

Bryce's actual work and publications offer a very different perspective than the one being painted by the scare tactics of that article, including where more specifically critical of cultural or business aspects of manga and anime. Her concerns, fall in line with what OITL was saying,

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

My big beef is this whole, sexualization of women's bodies, using women's bodies as statements or metaphors or ways to enhance motifs or meanings that have nothing to do with women's desires, goals, and struggles... is often just as much objectifying women's bodies as it is to just straight up use them to titillate male fans.  You're using our bodies, or representations of them, as tools.


My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Offline

 

#68 | Back to Top04-13-2017 07:06:14 PM

SaigonAlice
Juri Jeerer
Registered: 09-13-2016
Posts: 49

Re: Feminist Anime

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

It's easy to play this off as a Japanese problem, or something unique to that wacky foreign land, but I think that's a mistake and essentially hypocritical. We've made two movies in English from a novel that's explicitly and grotesquely about child abuse and child rape, and both times Lolita has been filmed, it's been shifted from nightmarish to explicitly erotic.

A language-culture that provides the world with 4chan on a regular basis, really can't cast too many stones, but then, most language-cultures thriving today can do so without opening their own sins to the light. As malna said, Japan may not be solely at fault here, for a global and historic issue.

CNN, for that matter, has a history of fear-mongering and broadly inaccurate coverage of sex in Asia, that's been commented on, widely, for years. That article linked, takes over two thirds of its allotted space to bother clarifying that a $3.6 billion dollar industry has only a small subsection that presents pedophilic content, which, when we talk about any multimillion (or multi-billion) dollar industry is going to be true.

Japan has its problems. Manga has its problems. But, the reason many readers from English-language countries and communities go straight to loli or whatever, is because that's what we see scanlated or posted repetitively online and it sticks in your head, not because it reflects general content overall. It's the same reason most American or British anime fans don't think of Doraemon or the other genuine big deal anime right off the bat, while pretty much anyone in Japan would.

Dr Bryce's quotes, especially towards the end, are sound, but they're also given no grounding or context. That's dangerously substandard reporting, but it's entirely in line with how CNN has traditionally treated Asian cultures in these kinds of articles.

Bryce's actual work and publications offer a very different perspective than the one being painted by the scare tactics of that article, including where more specifically critical of cultural or business aspects of manga and anime. Her concerns, fall in line with what OITL was saying,

We were talking in the context of anime, since this is an anime thread, so for that specific moment I was talking about Anime and the home country it's produced by. Please don't assume that I have any less harsh opinions of Western child pornography, because I don't. It's equally horrendous.

Also hey, If you read my response to YamPuff I actually do talk about the cultural imperialism of the West, the unfair and one-sided Western lens! I'm well aware of this! But I'd like to double-take on that and say that there is a point in which you SHOULD be able to judge another culture and it's when there is actual, real live harm to people is being done and when there are parallels of that kind of shittiness between that culture and your own.

Take the Dominican republic for example, where Haitans are repeatedly harrassed and deported. I had a Dominican friend that said to me that this I was applying a judgemental Wesetern lens, that in actuality the Haitians are showing up and taking the jobs of honest Dominicans. Obviously, that's nonsense.  And why do we know its nonsense? Could it be that we've had similar things happen in America, in Europe, in Australia with the Mexicans and Syrians? It's because we have eerily similar awfulness happening where we live that we can actually identify it in other countries and then go further into condemning it. We may sound hypocritical doing it but hey, an issue is an issue - information should be spread around and something should be done about it regardless.

Thinking about it, there really shouldn't be a dichotomy to this in the first place. We SHOULD be able to condemn both child pornography in America and Japan equally, the Whaling in Japan and the introduction of Whaling to Japanese by Americans, the classism of Caitlyn Jenner and the deadnaming of her by Transphobic assholes. etc. etc. People often think that if you're against a single issue you're not against the other, and that's bull.

And yes I'm aware of CNN's...less than credible history. I should look into the data myself later.


Thân em như quả mít trên cây,
Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.
Quân tử có yêu thì đóng cọc,
Xin đừng mân mó nhựa ra tay. - Hồ Xuân Hương

Offline

 

#69 | Back to Top04-14-2017 06:09:24 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess
Registered: 04-09-2007
Posts: 2753

Re: Feminist Anime

SaigonAlice wrote:

We were talking in the context of anime, since this is an anime thread, so for that specific moment I was talking about Anime and the home country it's produced by. Please don't assume that I have any less harsh opinions of Western child pornography, because I don't. It's equally horrendous.

Also hey, If you read my response to YamPuff I actually do talk about the cultural imperialism of the West, the unfair and one-sided Western lens! I'm well aware of this! But I'd like to double-take on that and say that there is a point in which you SHOULD be able to judge another culture and it's when there is actual, real live harm to people is being done and when there are parallels of that kind of shittiness between that culture and your own...

...Thinking about it, there really shouldn't be a dichotomy to this in the first place. We SHOULD be able to condemn both child pornography in America and Japan equally, the Whaling in Japan and the introduction of Whaling to Japanese by Americans, the classism of Caitlyn Jenner and the deadnaming of her by Transphobic assholes. etc. etc. People often think that if you're against a single issue you're not against the other, and that's bull.

I'm not accusing you of that, but you chose wording and perspectives that lend itself it that kind of imbalanced perspective.

"[T]he home country of lolicon / shotacon / general content sexualising high schoolers," is your phrase, and that's a leading statement, if nothing else. It's absurd to call Japan "the home country of lolicon/shotacon/general content sexualizing high schoolers" when this is, essentially, a global phenomenon. That Japan has a name for "lolicon," (derived from an American novel's title) does not make them "the home country" in any form. English also has names for these things. As does German, Korean, and pretty much any other language you care to name. It's dangerously deceptive to label Japan "the home" of these things.

You have some very good points, that I don't want to be obscured or poisoned by this kind poor reasoning, or by the generally confrontational and somewhat imperious attitude you're adopting in this thread. Many of us, in-thread, don't see eye to eye, but hopefully we can maintain decorum enough to converse functionally, and we can maintain individual integrity in expressing ideas.

No one wants this thread to turn into an attack on another poster. And, no one wants the thread to deadlock because anger or miscommunication. We're not making moral judgments of you, but at this point, two mods have asked you to tone down your reactions to other posters.


My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Offline

 

#70 | Back to Top04-14-2017 03:55:25 PM

YamPuff
Eternal Eschatologist
Registered: 02-13-2007
Posts: 923

Re: Feminist Anime

SaigonAlice wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Uh nowhere did I say I was friends with this person?? Sorry, but if you're going to put words in my mouth so you can feel righteously outraged, then I'm out.

God it was late at night and I was being overly emotional and presumptuous. I really went off my handle there. My apologies, though I still stand by the rest of the stuff I've said.

And I don't disagree with anything you said about child pornography being gross and wrong.

The point I was trying to make, is that a cartoon character's age is a weird thing. Take this visual for example. Who do you think is the oldest?

http://i68.tinypic.com/21al9io.jpg

On the left is the mom of a teenage daughter, followed by an 18 year old boy and the last is a mere 16 year old girl.

So I'm not going to clutch my pearls over what the author, or dubber, or translator says the age is, or changes the age to be. For me, it is about content and context. The 18 year old boy above is the star of a manga that, as I mentioned before, is meant to evoke the shota aesthetic even though is he '18' and it is a gross and problematic and, imo, pedophilic manga regardless of the character's 'age'.

Anyways, apologies for continually going off the 'feminist anime' topic!

Last edited by YamPuff (04-14-2017 04:01:05 PM)


http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

Offline

 

#71 | Back to Top04-14-2017 09:51:05 PM

SaigonAlice
Juri Jeerer
Registered: 09-13-2016
Posts: 49

Re: Feminist Anime

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

"[T]he home country of lolicon / shotacon / general content sexualising high schoolers," is your phrase, and that's a leading statement, if nothing else. It's absurd to call Japan "the home country of lolicon/shotacon/general content sexualizing high schoolers" when this is, essentially, a global phenomenon. That Japan has a name for "lolicon," (derived from an American novel's title) does not make them "the home country" in any form. English also has names for these things. As does German, Korean, and pretty much any other language you care to name. It's dangerously deceptive to label Japan "the home" of these things.

I'm sorry, but I genuinely don't understand what you're talking about. I was talking about specifically Japanese-produced Lolicon (or Shotacon) Anime / Manga as well as the various Harem Ecchi Anime / Manga with High School Settings. Unless you're talking about the global consumption of such media, which is a good point. Uncritical consumers are just as reprehensible as producers in this respect.

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

You have some very good points, that I don't want to be obscured or poisoned by this kind poor reasoning, or by the generally confrontational and somewhat imperious attitude you're adopting in this thread. Many of us, in-thread, don't see eye to eye, but hopefully we can maintain decorum enough to converse functionally, and we can maintain individual integrity in expressing ideas.

No one wants this thread to turn into an attack on another poster. And, no one wants the thread to deadlock because anger or miscommunication. We're not making moral judgments of you, but at this point, two mods have asked you to tone down your reactions to other posters.

I'm sorry but I'm also not that sorry? I mean I've obviously flown off the handle multiple times in this thread, resorted to personal insults and in general was over-emotional. I apologise for this. But at the same time, an issue like Pedophillia should be something that somebody will have to be confrontational about. People should feel uncomfortable about discussing it.

And maybe other people can keep an impassive distance to an honest to god awful issue like this (and Kudos to them! It's admirable that they can compartmentalise their emotions so neatly like that. I'd kill for that much control.) but please forgive me if can't.

Also, I didn't realise I was still being imperious or otherwise unpleasant after my exchange with YamPuff and If I was then I again I apologise. I'll promise to tone it down and I appreciate the patience you guys are showing me.

YamPuff wrote:

And I don't disagree with anything you said about child pornography being gross and wrong.

The point I was trying to make, is that a cartoon character's age is a weird thing. Take this visual for example. Who do you think is the oldest?

Chu...

On the left is the mom of a teenage daughter, followed by an 18 year old boy and the last is a mere 16 year old girl.

So I'm not going to clutch my pearls over what the author, or dubber, or translator says the age is, or changes the age to be. For me, it is about content and context. The 18 year old boy above is the star of a manga that, as I mentioned before, is meant to evoke the shota aesthetic even though is he '18' and it is a gross and problematic and, imo, pedophilic manga regardless of the character's 'age'.

Anyways, apologies for continually going off the 'feminist anime' topic!

That's a good point that I apologise for ignoring.

And... I probably ignored it because I thought you were going for the weird age relativism argument some creeps on MMOs were expressing, (flagrantly offtopic stuff ahead) [where Age and Emotional/Sexual Maturity are relative and that international restrictions on what constitutes minor or adult were arbitrary. Which is admittedly, true. But their obvious intentions with such information were to hit on under 18 girls.  And mind you this is the same crowd of people who refuse to believe Gender is a flexible social concept so uh. Dissonance much?
]

But anyway something like that is definitely on the creator. Like, plastering the 2000 year old age label on a prepubescent looking Dragon God Girl (cringe) ? That's being facetious.

Also I really appreciate you coming back to the discussion after my shitty outburst.


Thân em như quả mít trên cây,
Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.
Quân tử có yêu thì đóng cọc,
Xin đừng mân mó nhựa ra tay. - Hồ Xuân Hương

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement