You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#1001 | Back to Top01-15-2010 03:34:04 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Re: Let's Play! Utena for the Sega Saturn!

satyreyes wrote:

Akio's going somewhere with this ocean metaphor.  Somewhere sexy.  I don't want to derail him.  That's not true!

That's great, Satyr. emot-rofl

But I agree that everyone in the series seems to take all the weird metaphorical stuff Akio says as deep, meaningful stuff. So let's shake things up a little: Where you even listening to me?

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#1002 | Back to Top01-15-2010 06:27:28 PM

ApricotRose
Saionji Slapper

Were you even listening to me?  In the hope that D-ko says it in an annoyed or eyeroll-type voice.  These guys deserve to have someone not be swept away by their deep speechifying, just once. 

Not that I expect D-ko to actually keep her feet on the ground (metaphorically) when in the Car.  But we can hope she might. emot-keke

#1003 | Back to Top01-15-2010 09:01:04 PM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

Damn...as much as I'd love for us to personally dish out Akio's comeuppance (an actual comeuppance, not one that he enjoys emot-rolleyes), I don't think it's possible for D-ko to do it. She has no leverage over Akio; the only person in the series who does is Anthy, and by extension Utena, which is why the really hardcore Akio fans despise them both.

Sure, we want to believe we're doing something against Akio by yelling, but that's exactly what he wants us to think. Remember, Nanami becomes quite verbally opposed to Akio too, but she still ends up in a Duel right where he wants her. A centuries-old man who sips milkshakes while watching his sister get skewered by swords is not going to fazed by a 14-year-old asking "were you even listening?" emot-mad I doubt it'll have too much of an effect.

Just my two cents on why I didn't choose that option. cool I figured that since D-ko can't defeat Akio (That's what the last episode and Movie are for emot-wink), then we might as well indulge in some typically Utena-esque symbolism and see what we get w/ the second option.

Last edited by Nights1stStar (01-15-2010 09:03:18 PM)

"To copulate is to enter another...and the artist never emerges from herself."
-Charles Bauldelaire

#1004 | Back to Top01-15-2010 09:26:19 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

D-ko, show yourself to be the only sane person who won't take off her clothes the moment Akio showed up.
so shout: Were you even listening to me?!!

#1005 | Back to Top01-16-2010 12:09:39 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Akio's going somewhere with this ocean metaphor.  Somewhere sexy.  I don't want to derail him. ]

Dude Akio could run into a moose mid-sentence and it's not going to derail him once he's all pseudolectualbabbling. emot-rolleyes

Nights1stStar, however, has a point. emot-frown

Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

#1006 | Back to Top01-16-2010 07:20:26 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

D-ko and Akio: truly, a meeting of minds. school-freud

D-ko:
Uh, hello?
Could you pay attention to what I'm saying?

Akio:
I see...
A wide ocean, blue like the sky.
That's you exactly.

D-ko:
No, I'm not really...

Akio:
But your ocean is in a terrible state.
Dirtied with sludge, living things dying,
the water level rising from melted ice...
an overflowing red tide.

D-ko:
Umm... I don't really get what you're trying to say.

Akio:
[chuckle]
Is that so?
Well, in that case...

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4964/00000416.png

Akio:
I'll show the Ends of the World... to you.

D-ko:
[gasp]
P, please, stop it ---!

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2995/00000432.png
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5927/00000433.png
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8786/00000418.png

And what is this magnificent sight? What is it that Akio shows people, to drive them to the Dueling Arena in desperation? What deep secrets of the universe does Akio's bared chest portend?

One of the most obscure secrets of Revolutionary Girl Utena, revealed to us at last!

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7203/00000419.png
YOU SAW "THE ENDS OF THE WORLD."

Thanks, game. That clears it up.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/663/00000422.png
Utena:
What the heck? She was a pretty weak Duelist, huh?

Anthy:
It wasn't what we expected, was it?

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/4681/00000425.png
Akio:
As expected, a hastily built-up Duelist wasn't enough to overcome Tenjou Utena.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5662/00000437.png
Touga:
(That's what I was saying all along.)
You're a terrible person.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8007/00000440.png
Akio:
[chuckle]

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3046/00000428.png

Akio is a terrible person.

Well, it's been an excellent Let's Play, and I'd like to thank everyone for their participation. I'm glad I was able to share this side-story with the English-speaking community. Truly a job well done! Case closed! school-sherlock

...yeah, okay. So, obviously this is a totally unsatisfying ending that doesn't actually resolve the main plot in the slightest. emot-frown I don't really think we were supposed to stumble into it in our first playthrough.

But hey, getting this ending does give us Akio's character profile in our save's "student handbook"... and that means that we also get his secret answering machine message! The transcript is below. (If anyone wants the audio, I can send it to you as a .wav.)

Akio's Answering Machine wrote:

Hey, thanks for calling. I'm out right now.
"Where am I?" Shall I show you, too...? The Ends of the World.
Heh. Just joking. I'm looking forward to your message. So, later.

As promised, since we clearly got a "bad" ending, I'll do another playthrough. However, I'm a little busy this week, and won't be able to start it up for a little while. In the meantime, here are some questions to discuss:

- Should we play another game like this, with everyone voting on every choice, or should we just vote on an ending, and have me strategy-guide my way through?

- Should I summarize segments that I've already translated, or post the whole translation again?

- Should it be in this thread, or a new thread?

- Should our protagonist's name remain "D-ko," or does a different playthrough warrant a different character?

#1007 | Back to Top01-16-2010 09:07:24 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

emot-gonk

THAT's it?

Akio is a pretentious DICK. That wasn't even the slightest bit persuasive.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#1008 | Back to Top01-16-2010 09:43:58 AM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

emot-mad What the hell were we doing fighting Utena!? Shouldn't we have been, ya know, fighting Chigusa, the one who was trying to kill us!?

Ok, because I don't think any of us are going to want the Akio Car ending again, I don't think there's anything wrong with posting how to unlock the ending: The Akio Car Ending becomes available when Utena's Nobility Points drop to zero while we still have points w/ at least one Council member.

The game guide I read also told me how to miminize the number of points Chigusa steals from us. Does anyone want me to post this strategy so we can increase our chances of getting a better ending? The guide also says that we can't get any of the individual Student Council endings (the Juri/Saionji/Miki/Touga endings), if Utena's Nobility Points fall below 60%, so that'll be a reminder to keep Utena's point count moderately high.

Let's vote on an ending. Then, we can have Dalbun strategize through w/ audience participation. For example, if we decide to go for the Juri ending, Dalbun could always choose to talk to Juri when given a choice to hang out w/ different Duelists (eg, always pick the Fencing Club, always invite Juri over, always go to the arcade, etc.) She'd only choose not to talk w/ Juri if Utena's nobility points fall below 60%, in which case, she'd  talk w/ Utena in order to bring them back up. And then when the actual dialogue options w/ Juri or Utena comes up, Dalbun can turn over the voting to the rest of us, so we can feel like we're participating. I think that'll be a nice balance between Dalbun plowing through the whole thing at once, and us gamers splitting the votes between Juri and Saionji so we don't get enough points with either.

As for summarizing vs whole translations, I would prefer whole translations. That way, if we want to refresh ourselves w/ events in the game, we'll be able to do so w/o having to look back in the thread. Anyone who wants to read ahead can simply scroll down.

Let's keep it in this thread and see how long it gets before we finally stop playing. etc-love

Might as well keep it D-ko. She's not going to get any smarter if we rename her. emot-rolleyes

-Charles Bauldelaire

#1009 | Back to Top01-16-2010 09:49:51 AM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

Here are all the possible endings, according to the guide, minus the Akio Car:

Utena
Juri
Miki
Saionji
Touga
Black Rose/Mikage
Perfect (Which is when no one's Nobility Points but Chigusa's falls to zero, and Utena has 60% or more points; to get this ending, Dalbun would choose who to talk and when depending on their points, and then the rest of us could vote on the dialogue choices)
Anthy (Only available after we unlock all other endings)

-Charles Bauldelaire

#1010 | Back to Top01-16-2010 07:00:07 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Man, that was so terrible it crashed the forum!  emot-rofl

I would like to replay the game with voting, but with mechanical understanding -- the kind Nights1stStar is explaining.  Apparently to get good endings we need a lot of Utena points, and we need a way to minimize Chigusa's impact, and I want to know how to make sure both of those things happen.  We also need to know which choices point us towards which characters (e.g. who hangs out at the classical cafe).  Finally, most generally, I want to know whose plot we should be aiming for if we want to figure out what the hell is up with Chigusa and that fencing hall.  If we know those things, we can squabble about which student council member we're aiming for, but we'll all know the ground rules that have to happen to avoid seeing this ending again.

As for D-ko, I say rename her and make a fresh start emot-smile

#1011 | Back to Top01-16-2010 07:37:13 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
Website

Haha, what'd I tell you? He was gonna say whatever he wanted anyway. emot-rolleyes Jackass.

I want to see the versions where people get tied up.

And loincloth. (Where are all the nudie scenes anyway?)

BTW have I said I FUCKING LOVE YOU FOR DOING THESE? I would suggest a new game be a new thread, though. emot-smile

Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

#1012 | Back to Top01-16-2010 08:00:12 PM

Scoluron
Rose Bride

New thread I'd say.  And a moratorium on responses we've already done, if they come up.

"Himemiya! I've misjudged you!" "My image of you is ruined."

#1013 | Back to Top01-16-2010 09:25:21 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Content edited out so nobody sees how over the top I went with the spoilers. See Dallbun's post after this to know just how over the top. Sorry all!

Last edited by BioKraze (01-16-2010 10:43:14 PM)

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#1014 | Back to Top01-16-2010 09:38:00 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

BioKraze wrote:

(The plot of the game)

Woah hey. emot-frown I don't think satyreyes was actually asking for a summary of the plot, just of the game mechanics required to get to the plot-filled ending.

And there wasn't enough warning that you were going to be giving all the plot details there... I know because I wasn't clear that you were writing the plot before I highlighted it. It looked like you were just going to be talking about the game mechanics. Am I making sense?

#1015 | Back to Top01-16-2010 09:40:17 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

D:

Well that was abrupt. We don't even get a good shot of D-ko in her duelling outfit?

... anyway. Now that we've had an epic fail ending, it's fair game to use a strategy guide!

I have to say, I'm curious about the Mikage ending, but I doubt it's anymore satisfying than Akio's.

Ideally we should go for this Perfect ending, since that's bound to be the 'correct' version of the story.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#1016 | Back to Top01-16-2010 10:33:15 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary

Well, that was... extremely depressing and unsatisfying.. emot-frown

I've heard bits and pieces about the plot with Chigusa so I'm really intrigued by her, but I'm going to avoid reading spoilers in hopes we can reveal it through the game. etc-love

I vote on a new thread too, just to keep it organized, and I vote to keep D-ko's name D-ko just because its more simple and familiar.

I'm not sure what to say about voting though.. I'm fine either way, but I prefer getting to vote for each choice. However, now we know to get on Utena's good side at least somewhat in the game..

I want to see plot. emot-frown

"There’s no starting over, no new beginnings, time races on
And you've just gotta keep on keeping on"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/Tushen/cupcake_mini2.gif

#1017 | Back to Top01-16-2010 10:41:18 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Dallbun wrote:

BioKraze wrote:

(The plot of the game)

Woah hey. emot-frown I don't think satyreyes was actually asking for a summary of the plot, just of the game mechanics required to get to the plot-filled ending.

And there wasn't enough warning that you were going to be giving all the plot details there... I know because I wasn't clear that you were writing the plot before I highlighted it. It looked like you were just going to be talking about the game mechanics. Am I making sense?

Sorry, my bad! emot-redface I didn't realise I was revealing too much. If it helps, I can heavily modify the post or delete it entirely. Or I can just say "edited to remove plot spoilers" -- it's your thread, so it's your call.

I nevertheless blame the original content of the post on my tendency to be a details whore. emot-tongue

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#1018 | Back to Top01-16-2010 11:56:41 PM

ApricotRose
Saionji Slapper

Aarg, what a lame ending!  Without even the supercute picture of duelist D-ko!  The lame is mitigated by whoever suggested Akio could hit a moose and not stop his shpiel.  Because that's a great mental image, the Car hitting a Moose on the road to the Ends of the Earth.  Or would it be an Elephant carrying a worldlet on its back, or perhaps the Transcendent Pig...

Where was I?  Oh, right.

Another playthrough!  emot-dance  I love you Dalbun!

I vote:
- vote on an ending and you strategy guide us to it
-summarize what you’ve already translated (full translations would be great but it seems too much to ask!)
-new thread, for clarity
-I’ll abstain on voting D-ko’s name.  When I first found pictures of her I named her Yukari-chan and that’s how I’ll always think of her.  I didn’t think she’d be this ditzy though! u_u; Sweetie, you’re cute but dumb…

These links might help you figure out those endings:
http://moonreading.lunarpages.com/utena/index.html
http://www.hunters-guild.org/utena/game/index.html
I couldn't find one with every choice mapped out, but maybe someone with more google skills could do it.

#1019 | Back to Top01-16-2010 11:56:44 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I saw this and, um, first response, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

Okay, so Akio arc is bad news, as always *nods* Poor D-Ko.

I personally would like to keep D-Ko's name though. I feel bad and want to give her a second chance.

#1020 | Back to Top01-17-2010 08:01:25 AM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

I had a hard time getting into the mindset to play this type of game but its my own darn fault. Anyway thanks much for the translation.
I forgot that you would do another playthrough given a bad end. I did like the voting without it it's like watching the game being played no fun emot-frown A new thread seems like a good idea the last long topic I read was a big pain in the neck. From my point of view a summary is fine people who care about the full dialog can simply read this topic. I would like to stick with the original name the temptation to choose one like V5FdrY is too great emot-smile

#1021 | Back to Top01-17-2010 09:49:41 AM

Katieryn
Rose Smilee

That was the only time non-movie Akio failed to satisfy. emot-confused

I'd like to try for the "perfect" ending, since it'll be all plotty and whatnot (even though I would love to see the Black Rose ending too) but with as much voting as we could do while still aiming for a less random gameplay.

And I would like to keep the name D-ko. It seems to fit our silly little everygirl.

"If Utena was a novel, you'd be studying it in college." -- EM site info

We're patient for now, and we're patient for tomorrow, when the past will redeem all the toil extreme and all the sorrow.

#1022 | Back to Top01-17-2010 10:09:11 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

We could play a round where either we decide from the beginning which ending we want (for me, if it were at all possible to combine Saionji's ending with one that elaborates Chigusa's plot I'd be all for it).  Or Dalbun can post the game as usual, only after each option, she could put a symbol or a name to tell us what 'path' said options is 'preparing' us for.  Such as a etc-love or etc-loveetc-love if it will gain us points with the character whose ending we have decided we want, poptart for a blackrose ending, school-devil for when Chigusa takes away pointage and school-sherlock when the option will shed light on the plot and emot-confused for getting us Utena points!

?

#1023 | Back to Top01-17-2010 12:10:10 PM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

satyreyes wrote:

Man, that was so terrible it crashed the forum!  emot-rofl

I would like to replay the game with voting, but with mechanical understanding -- the kind Nights1stStar is explaining.  Apparently to get good endings we need a lot of Utena points, and we need a way to minimize Chigusa's impact, and I want to know how to make sure both of those things happen.  We also need to know which choices point us towards which characters (e.g. who hangs out at the classical cafe).  Finally, most generally, I want to know whose plot we should be aiming for if we want to figure out what the hell is up with Chigusa and that fencing hall.  If we know those things, we can squabble about which student council member we're aiming for, but we'll all know the ground rules that have to happen to avoid seeing this ending again.

*Nods* Ok, then...the general consensus seems to be strategy without spoiler, so...I'm just going to post what I found out from reading guides.

Beating Chigusa: Chigusa's Nobility Points don't represent how much she likes you. (She doesn't at all. She's trying to kill you.) They represent how easy a victim you are. The guide I read insists that the more points you get with Chigusa, the more points she takes away from the rest of the Duelists in the game. emot-aaa

For reasons the game should eventually clear up, D-ko becomes much easier prey for Chigusa the more stereotypically weak and "girly" she acts. (I find it sad and telling that the word "girly" implies weak stupidity, but that's patriarchy for ya. emot-mad) Confiding to Chigusa about a crush on a "Prince", asking if Chigusa has a boyfriend of her own, showing that you're favored and named by your mother instead of by your father, choices like these give Chigusa points and make her more powerful.

Likewise, if you're assertive and you make Chigusa feel uncomfortable, you take away Chigusa's points and make her weaker. Solving math problems by yourself instead of using Chigusa's answers, sliding on the baseball field instead of ducking out of the way, never inviting Chigusa to your house and then asking her about her illness (and Chigusa really doesn't want to talk about her illness)...basically, the stronger you seem and the less you trust Chigusa, the fewer points she'll take away.

Character Locations:

Juri: Fencing Hall at school, Arcade in town
Saionji: Kendo Hall at school, Tea House in town
Miki: Fencing Hall at school, Cake Shop
Touga: Kendo Hall at school, Classic Music Cafe in town
Utena and Anthy: Regular Cafe in town

No Duelists attend the Literature Club, (Or Newspaper Club, depending on the translation) but you lose Chigusa points if you go there. emot-rolleyes I guess "girly-girls" don't like to read.

Ending Guides:

To unlock an ending w/ a specific Duelist, your "beloved" must have above 120% Nobility, Utena must be above 60% nobility, and at least one other Student Council should have 0% nobility and "Fall", ie, succumb to Chigusa's charms. (Edit: If you want the Utena ending, Utena must be above 120% Nobility, and at least one Duelist must fall.)

The Mikage Ending: All the Student Council members Fall

Anthy Ending: The game has certain moments when you interact w/ Anthy and can gain "Anthy points". Each time you answer correctly, there will be a weird sound. Get all Anthy points and she shows up right before the Chigusa duel to offer you an ultimatum. Only occurs after you unlock all other endings including the Game-Over ending.

Game-Over Ending: Chigusa wins. Occurs when you don't fit the requirements for any of the other endings

Errata: I'd assume the Perfect Ending would tell you the most plot info, but from video clips I've seen of the game, the individual Duelist endings all tell you enough about Chigusa to understand her plan and motives.

I guess whether or not Dalbun posts full translations would depend on how easily they can be copied and pasted from earlier posts.

The game guides even go so far as to tell us what dialogue options give points w/ which characters...but I'd rather not depend on the guides to that extent. Half-the-fun of this thread is figuring out the best ways to ogle at our favorite characters on our own. etc-love I don't think we'll have trouble getting Utena points, b/c she's pretty straightforward and honest, and we have so many chances to talk to her, especially at the beginning. Remember, she had our highest point count before we abandoned her to fight over Juri and Saionji.

Last edited by Nights1stStar (01-18-2010 01:57:09 PM)

-Charles Bauldelaire

#1024 | Back to Top01-17-2010 12:13:35 PM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

Oh, and...

Giovanna wrote:

BTW have I said I FUCKING LOVE YOU FOR DOING THESE?

Dalbun, I'm sure every freakin person on this thread agrees.

Last edited by Nights1stStar (01-17-2010 12:14:11 PM)

-Charles Bauldelaire

#1025 | Back to Top01-17-2010 12:14:29 PM

WinstonTA
Touga Topper

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

after each option, she could put a symbol or a name to tell us what 'path' said options is 'preparing' us for.  Such as a etc-love or etc-loveetc-love if it will gain us points with the character whose ending we have decided we want

I agree with this.  It's just close enough to directly going with a walkthrough, but allows us to still maintain an element of surprise. emot-smile

Last edited by WinstonTA (01-17-2010 12:15:03 PM)

“You taste so good,” she whispered against my skin, lingering where my neck met my shoulders. “You taste like...”
“If you say eternity,” I said drily, “I’ll get out of the shower right now.”
~Utena & Anthy, "Thorns Wither" fic, Chapter 4

Board footer