You are not logged in.

#1 | Back to Top01-26-2009 09:24:21 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

First concept for Utena

Does anyone have a site/more information on whatever Chino Saito was originally planning for Utena? That story about the girls who....transform into magical girls when they....kiss their boyfriends?? Is that right? Does anyone have more than that and the few pics of it that are in the gallery? I've always wondered about that part of the project, particularly how it grew from that into the Utena manga, because its so very different.

20 threads dead so far.

#2 | Back to Top01-26-2009 09:26:03 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Re: First concept for Utena

hollow_rose wrote:

Does anyone have a site/more information on whatever Chino Saito was originally planning for Utena? That story about the girls who....transform into magical girls when they....kiss their boyfriends?? Is that right? Does anyone have more than that and the few pics of it that are in the gallery? I've always wondered about that part of the project, particularly how it grew from that into the Utena manga, because its so very different.

I'm sure one of the manga has some information, or at the very least pictures. They're probably in the gallery. Does anyone remember which volume of the manga it was in? I have the manga tankubon, but they're all in feckin' storage. emot-mad

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#3 | Back to Top01-27-2009 12:23:15 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

I don't remember seeing that in the mangas I read... but the four-koma were funny.

Ikuni: I've got bad news.
Saito: What? Did we get cancelled?
Ikuni: They decided to make Anthy's dress red.

Ikuni must have very dry wit.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#4 | Back to Top02-12-2009 10:26:05 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

I think this is pretty much relevant, please feel free to beat/express disapproval with emot-mad emoticons of this isn't/ Something Ikuhara apparantly said in an interview concerning the original idea for End Of The World.

Quoted from a chat with Kunihiko Ikuhara: "That was a real plot I had thought up. I was once up to directing the Sailor Moon Super S Movie. It was going to be a story in which Uranus and Neptune were the main characters. It was going to be a story independant to the TV series and this was going to be the first appearance of Uranus and Neptune. And Sailor Neptune was going to be in a 1000-year sleep at a place called 'The End of the World.' And Sailor Uranus was needed to steal the talisman from the Sailor Scouts and use that to awaken Sailor Neptune. And Uranus was going to be riding the black pegasus. And the story was going to be that Sailor Moon would ride Pegasus to chase Sailor Uranus riding the Black Pegasus to the 'End of the World' And the climax of the story would've been the rodeo scene between Sailor Moon on white Pegasus and Sailor Uranus on Black Pegasus. And so this was kind of story I had in mind. But before production began, the producer walked off Sailor Moon. It would've been possible for me to make the story still, but since I came up with the story with the producer, I also walked off. But I had an attraction to the idea of "The End of the World" which I thought up for this plot. So the same thing in Utena comes from the Sailor Moon plot." (sekai no hate, or The End of the World, plays an important role in Shoujo Kakumei Utena, another anime)

Found it on this site: http://www.rosachinensis.net/ekn/faq.html#pegasus, an F.A.Q about Haruka from Sailor Moon. Scroll to the bottom for the quote.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#5 | Back to Top02-12-2009 11:41:48 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

I think he may have been being sarcastic...

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#6 | Back to Top02-12-2009 01:03:39 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

It was always my impression that the story of Utena et al. was a joint effort...  It wasn't like Sailormoon where the story was Takeuchi's and a separate TV team then adapted her story.  I always heard the  basic story and general character ideas came from Be-Papas, the group, of whom Saito was just one.  Then, since Saito was doing the manga, she was able to express a lot of her own preferences in her version.  On the other hand, the TV version had a larger staff with direct creative input (with Ikuhara as lead).

Maybe I'm wrong.

[But I also don't think Ikuhara was being sarcastic about when he had his first thought about "Sekai no Hate."  I mean, with Ikuhara, I guess it's hard to tell, but I always figured that is where he came up with the phrase.  Obviously there was a genesis between the idea as presented in that quote and as presented in SKU--which makes sense to me since several years had passed.]

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#7 | Back to Top02-12-2009 01:05:25 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Anthiena wrote:

I think he may have been being sarcastic...

He might have been but I think it explains why Anthy and Utena are riding flying horses by the castle in the opening of Utena....

Thanks for finding that Miss Bluesky! I wonder if Chino Saito ever says anything about it anywhere...I've seen her concept drawings in the gallery on it, but then that's it. There's no explanation for them.

....Yes I am one of those people who listens eagerly to all the commentaries that come with DVDs. emot-biggrin I like explanations for things. Not that this group of creators is really forthcoming with them.

20 threads dead so far.

#8 | Back to Top02-12-2009 07:37:44 PM

jigenbakuda
New Student

Clarice wrote:

hollow_rose wrote:

I'm sure one of the manga has some information, or at the very least pictures. They're probably in the gallery. Does anyone remember which volume of the manga it was in? I have the manga tankubon, but they're all in feckin' storage. emot-mad

Here are my person scans of the gallery and the interview, maybe our answer lies there. (scanned them for my group, but they were online so I linked you guys)

Gallery and Interview
http://www.mediafire.com/?ygzwjnmmayj

Edit: GAWD juri rocks my fucking cawk!etc-wankdude

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/jigenbakuda/Manga/illustration6.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/jigenbakuda/Manga/illustration9-1.jpg

Last edited by jigenbakuda (02-12-2009 07:46:42 PM)

#9 | Back to Top02-14-2009 07:18:39 PM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

jigenbakuda wrote:

Gallery and Interview
http://www.mediafire.com/?ygzwjnmmayj

I may not be able to read any of that, but I am loving those scans!

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

Board footer