You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#1 | Back to Top10-09-2008 04:23:11 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death
From: Austin, Tx
Registered: 09-29-2008
Posts: 506

The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

I've dug through so many pages making sure i dont double post.... If this is in the wrong place, notify me and i'll delete it and move it and go from there.. sorry x.x

Being a psych major, this show interests me so much... so it hought i'd get you guys to toss ideas around with me, maybe it oculd help me better understand my studies emot-smile (or make them worse)

The Characters: I believe Saito/Ikuhara/whomthefuckever/ intended this show to be... a character study of sorts. To identify different types of people, and how they act. Each character has their own (very different) personalities. So if you look at this from a Psychological perspective, you can see more depth (yay!)


Utena:
The girl with an identity crisis? Trying to figure out who she is, what she wants to be, who she loves, what she wants... the epitome of every teen's struggle. How often do we see Jr. High students through hell even beyond college students... just people trying to figure out who they are what they want to do. Utena has an idea of what she wants, but she can't ever seem to find it. She is athletic...( pretty damn pasty white for an athlete ) and the advising individual... who thinks she knows whats best for everyone. Her desire is to save everyone... to be everyone's prince. Much like the prince she met in her early childhood. However her actions are very selfish rather than self-less... It seems she beings to use her tool of helping others in order to get her closer to her prince. They say that nothing we do as human beings is unselfish.... she doesn't try to save everyone just to help... she does it to remain noble, and princely for her prince. After the tragedy with her parents, it allowed Utena to shift from a very immature young girl into a (more mature than immature but not quite mature) young adolescent. She desires to help her best friend/lover/rose-bride/your-mom but then suddenly it becomes a quest to discover her prince. Utena also acts very oblivious throughout the entire series; however, it is just an act (in my opinion) She uses her obliviousness to justify her actions at Ohtori. Her obliviousness allows her to become the "selfless" hero.

Anthy: The completely submissive individual whom has lost all sense of self. She has dedicated herself to the champion, her brother, everyone except herself. She has continued this process for years.. (billions? hundreds? a couple? fuck she is like 109283019283091283 years old right?) POINT is... she has been doing this whole submissive gig for quite some time. So it is possible that she has brainwashed herself into believe it is her SET role in life. We've seen this happen to so many people in our society.

Akio: Arrogant yet (strangely) attractive bastard. Said to be the "adult" in the show.. Yet he continues to live in his fantasies amongst Ohtori's students. Known to be manipulative to others to achieve his goals... Which to me, seems easy because these kiddos from j-high to highschool all look up to Akio... they all idolize him for his adult-ness. Shoot, even the teachers admire him. (because despite what we might want to believe...akio could get each and everyone of us in his bed and to do his bidding so fuck that.) Yet even at the end we see that Anthy basically tells him to grow up. So could he have the... Peter Pan complex? (sounds like a certain singer whose initials are MJ and has neverland ranch.... ((or had... the ranch)) anyway...) Does Akio use the duels to pursue his childish dreams. He continues to call everyone naive...but isn't he just... stuck in his own little *coffin*? Maybe Akio was always bullied as a child and just wanted power, women, and money? (power= end of the world, women=.. shit who HASNT akio done.., money= marrying kanae((which does all of the above too))..) Maybe he has an inferiority complex?

Touga: (( i actually enjoy Touga not being a bad guy in the manga... and movie.. it really disapointed me that he turns into such an ass during the show... like really.. i dunno... but anyway) Touga (for the show) Is a tool for end of the world. He is president of the council after all, and is almost like the first direct link from End of the World and duelists. Sure, Anthy is in contact with him; however, she doesnt relay any information about akio... so the main source is Touga. Touga falls for Utena... but why? because she is the one person who refuses him? Cause she is mysterious to him? This would make him... kind-of a player... the person who has to have everything, and when he doesnt have it... he will do whatever he can to get it. (see akio...) Touga is the little boy (cause he's still in HS!) that sees the big adult that gets the cool cars, women, and power.. and wants nothing more than to be just like that. Believing that Akio's ideals are genuine and right... he pursues them... and even uses very similar techniques to capture his victim...

Saionji: (sorry ... i really just.. don't like guys beating on girls.. and seeing as the FIRST thing you see of him is this arrogant ima slap my girl around attitude from him... i didnt really like him that much...) Saionji is the little boy who has the cool friend... and he wants to be JUST like him... yet he isnt cool enough, or doesnt quite get it. Just look at saionji and touga... Saionji is Vice President, and a constant shadow for touga... Sure, he has his own personality and ideas for how the rosebride should be treated, but he still feels that touga is his one connection to "coolness" or social acceptance. Touga is everything saionji can't be. and for that he loves him... and also hates him... Touga has the smarts and the brains for the manipulation, Saionji, however, is like the whiny kid that tags along behind. (im sorry if you like saionji, im not trying to be pissy toward him.. just throwing out how i sees em.) Saionji also brainwashes himself into believing Anthy really loves him. He is easy to fool... and he even fools himself!

Juri: (what a freaking character. I love her. but damn confusing as hell) She is the Alpha Female that knows it all, and knows she could kick anyone's ass. She is very hard and cold to the world and emotions around her. Her past has caused her to harden, and her personality only assists that. She was gravely hurt by her lover and...lover... (Shiori and Ruka...) ((to be honest, not quite so sure on this whole juri relationship(s) thing... i thought she loved ruka then shiori took him from her,... i mean.. shit oh man this is another post for another time)) At any rate.. she was hurt by people she trusted, which caused her to be bitter and unbelieving in everyone and everything else. her confidence resides within her swordsmanship; but due to her loss and hurt, she has taken the I-dont-give-a-fuck attitude about her fencing skills, and simply runs the company while the big boss is gone. Juri desires something more...she wants to believe in the miracles but she puts up a shell (that she needs to crack damnit) to protect herself from pain.

Miki: The cute little musician that got thrown into this mess. Miki seems to be unfit for duels. He is shy, smart, and he really only seems to be "doing his job" with the council... not fully partaking in everything. (i mean really... what the fuck does the watch mean...) This kid is torn up about everything. He feels that he loves Anthy; however in all actuality he simply desires for her to take his sister's place at the keyboard.  He is still very immature.. and young... although smart, he still has some growin' up to do. Miki doesnt seem like he was developed as much as the other characters. Sure he's there, he has a story... but ... his contribution is very small. (But i still love him. hes so cute and funny haha)

Nanami: If anyone argues that Nanami doesn't love her brother too much... please re-watch the series. This girl is the spoiled sister of Touga.  (haha adopted little brat... duh, you arent related you dont have red freaking hair... blonde headed step child..) Nanami demands attention and her way. She feels that she knows it all, and no one can tell her different. She is the popularity queen (see: mean girls).  Her character is an example of a very immature individual who refuses to grow up... not because she knowledgeably doesnt want to... but because she doesn't understand the concepts of growing up! Nanami uses her attitude and position of power to keep all girls from her brother so that she could have him to herself. She is selfish and uncaring.... and has no desire to help others. Nanami becomes more of a comic relief than a fully developed character.

Chu Chu: Is a bad ass. Chu Chu for fucking president 08'

Shiori: she seems to be the drama queen.. she seeks attention... and seeks to hurt others. However, in her defense she has her head about her and is very very smart. Shit, you can't be dumb and do have the shit shiori does. Even though she is regarded as a minor character, i feel she holds a secret... and that makes her interesting... Her role is to torture Juri, and potentially keep her from becoming what she truly could be. (i also like her hair color. but.. whatever)

Wakaba: Utena's first friend at Ohtori (who doesnt get her own special hair color). She simply connects the "regulars" to the "specials" and provides a bridge and a meter on what the other students are thinking. She is very selfish and very whimsical. She is drawn to that which is "cool." Utena is the new cool thing on campus... then suddenly she changes pace and heads after saionji... then she talks about another hottie. She is very vocal about her opinions, and uses her friends for her own selfish goals. (Utena and Anthy live with Akio... Wakaba tries to move in by saying she knows anthy and whatever.. ((That really pissed me off...)) ) Wakaba is Utena's saving grace at times too... because when Utena falls down.. she slaps her right back up..



-------------

I know i ahvent covered everyone but its 5:30 am... and ive been writing for an hour. haha, this has been awesome. I feel so great being able to express this stuff emot-smile

Tell me what you think! throw me some feedback! Add more characters, hopefully it will grow... and i can use it in my final psych report this semester emot-biggrin


EDIT: Yeah... sorry that they get less and less ... depthy.. i got tired. haha

Last edited by KissFromARose (10-09-2008 04:27:18 AM)

Offline

 

#2 | Back to Top10-09-2008 10:32:19 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
From: Singapore
Registered: 02-21-2007
Posts: 6340
Website

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

Just a little tidbit I think should think about regarding Juri.

Someone long ago argued that Juri's acting like the way she is is due to Shiori's influence. There was heavy symbolism through the application of horoscope. Juri's Sagittarius, and Shiori, I believe, is Aquarius. Sagittarius is "fire", and water douses fire. Juri is found depressed and vulnerable when she's near the fountain, the lake, and the shower (If the guy from Psycho shows up with a knife, though, would she still kick his ass? Or would she be too emo about anything and get stabbed >_<) So, in other words, she's doing things that will slowly kill herself off, possibly unconsciously. So, yeah, it became ambiguous for me as to what is Juri before she met Shiori

Offline

 

#3 | Back to Top10-09-2008 11:18:09 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death
From: Austin, Tx
Registered: 09-29-2008
Posts: 506

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

thats a really good point! i never noticed the water thing. That's really interesting. Juri's connection to Shiori (whatever you believe it to be) isn't exactly a healthy one. I feel bad for her.. i mean she really got fucked. emot-gonk

Next time juri is about to kick my ass, i'll be sure to have a glass of water with me.

Offline

 

#4 | Back to Top10-09-2008 11:53:06 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
From: Missouri, United States
Registered: 03-01-2007
Posts: 1243
Website

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

Hiraku wrote:

So, yeah, it became ambiguous for me as to what is Juri before she met Shiori

HAPPY. emot-rofl

Seriously though - there is no real way to ever know that. They grew up together.  Who Juri grew up to be in high school has some root in their childhood friendship.

Last edited by Ashnod (10-09-2008 11:55:05 AM)


Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

Offline

 

#5 | Back to Top10-10-2008 10:50:12 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
From: Singapore
Registered: 02-21-2007
Posts: 6340
Website

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

Ashnod wrote:

Hiraku wrote:

So, yeah, it became ambiguous for me as to what is Juri before she met Shiori

HAPPY. emot-rofl

Seriously though - there is no real way to ever know that. They grew up together.  Who Juri grew up to be in high school has some root in their childhood friendship.

No way they literally grew up together. That first few years of Goo-Goo and Ga-Ga can tell alot about a person, too!! school-freud

Offline

 

#6 | Back to Top10-11-2008 11:02:25 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
From: Missouri, United States
Registered: 03-01-2007
Posts: 1243
Website

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

Hiraku wrote:

Ashnod wrote:

Hiraku wrote:

So, yeah, it became ambiguous for me as to what is Juri before she met Shiori

HAPPY. emot-rofl

Seriously though - there is no real way to ever know that. They grew up together.  Who Juri grew up to be in high school has some root in their childhood friendship.

No way they literally grew up together. That first few years of Goo-Goo and Ga-Ga can tell alot about a person, too!! school-freud

Shiori always envied Juri's Rose Rattle, you know.


Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

Offline

 

#7 | Back to Top10-11-2008 08:06:52 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
From: Singapore
Registered: 02-21-2007
Posts: 6340
Website

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

Does she also envy Juri when being breastfed by a mom that has more milk than her own school-sherlock

Offline

 

#8 | Back to Top10-12-2008 10:14:36 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
From: USA, Arkansas
Registered: 12-24-2007
Posts: 1815
Website

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

KissFromARose wrote:

I've dug through so many pages making sure i dont double post.... If this is in the wrong place, notify me and i'll delete it and move it and go from there.. sorry x.x

Being a psych major, this show interests me so much... so it hought i'd get you guys to toss ideas around with me, maybe it oculd help me better understand my studies emot-smile (or make them worse)

The Characters: I believe Saito/Ikuhara/whomthefuckever/ intended this show to be... a character study of sorts. To identify different types of people, and how they act. Each character has their own (very different) personalities. So if you look at this from a Psychological perspective, you can see more depth (yay!)


Utena:
The girl with an identity crisis? Trying to figure out who she is, what she wants to be, who she loves, what she wants... the epitome of every teen's struggle. How often do we see Jr. High students through hell even beyond college students... just people trying to figure out who they are what they want to do. Utena has an idea of what she wants, but she can't ever seem to find it. She is athletic...( pretty damn pasty white for an athlete ) and the advising individual... who thinks she knows whats best for everyone. Her desire is to save everyone... to be everyone's prince. Much like the prince she met in her early childhood. However her actions are very selfish rather than self-less... It seems she beings to use her tool of helping others in order to get her closer to her prince. They say that nothing we do as human beings is unselfish.... she doesn't try to save everyone just to help... she does it to remain noble, and princely for her prince. After the tragedy with her parents, it allowed Utena to shift from a very immature young girl into a (more mature than immature but not quite mature) young adolescent. She desires to help her best friend/lover/rose-bride/your-mom but then suddenly it becomes a quest to discover her prince. Utena also acts very oblivious throughout the entire series; however, it is just an act (in my opinion) She uses her obliviousness to justify her actions at Ohtori. Her obliviousness allows her to become the "selfless" hero.

Anthy: The completely submissive individual whom has lost all sense of self. She has dedicated herself to the champion, her brother, everyone except herself. She has continued this process for years.. (billions? hundreds? a couple? fuck she is like 109283019283091283 years old right?) POINT is... she has been doing this whole submissive gig for quite some time. So it is possible that she has brainwashed herself into believe it is her SET role in life. We've seen this happen to so many people in our society.

Akio: Arrogant yet (strangely) attractive bastard. Said to be the "adult" in the show.. Yet he continues to live in his fantasies amongst Ohtori's students. Known to be manipulative to others to achieve his goals... Which to me, seems easy because these kiddos from j-high to highschool all look up to Akio... they all idolize him for his adult-ness. Shoot, even the teachers admire him. (because despite what we might want to believe...akio could get each and everyone of us in his bed and to do his bidding so fuck that.) Yet even at the end we see that Anthy basically tells him to grow up. So could he have the... Peter Pan complex? (sounds like a certain singer whose initials are MJ and has neverland ranch.... ((or had... the ranch)) anyway...) Does Akio use the duels to pursue his childish dreams. He continues to call everyone naive...but isn't he just... stuck in his own little *coffin*? Maybe Akio was always bullied as a child and just wanted power, women, and money? (power= end of the world, women=.. shit who HASNT akio done.., money= marrying kanae((which does all of the above too))..) Maybe he has an inferiority complex?

Touga: (( i actually enjoy Touga not being a bad guy in the manga... and movie.. it really disapointed me that he turns into such an ass during the show... like really.. i dunno... but anyway) Touga (for the show) Is a tool for end of the world. He is president of the council after all, and is almost like the first direct link from End of the World and duelists. Sure, Anthy is in contact with him; however, she doesnt relay any information about akio... so the main source is Touga. Touga falls for Utena... but why? because she is the one person who refuses him? Cause she is mysterious to him? This would make him... kind-of a player... the person who has to have everything, and when he doesnt have it... he will do whatever he can to get it. (see akio...) Touga is the little boy (cause he's still in HS!) that sees the big adult that gets the cool cars, women, and power.. and wants nothing more than to be just like that. Believing that Akio's ideals are genuine and right... he pursues them... and even uses very similar techniques to capture his victim...

Saionji: (sorry ... i really just.. don't like guys beating on girls.. and seeing as the FIRST thing you see of him is this arrogant ima slap my girl around attitude from him... i didnt really like him that much...) Saionji is the little boy who has the cool friend... and he wants to be JUST like him... yet he isnt cool enough, or doesnt quite get it. Just look at saionji and touga... Saionji is Vice President, and a constant shadow for touga... Sure, he has his own personality and ideas for how the rosebride should be treated, but he still feels that touga is his one connection to "coolness" or social acceptance. Touga is everything saionji can't be. and for that he loves him... and also hates him... Touga has the smarts and the brains for the manipulation, Saionji, however, is like the whiny kid that tags along behind. (im sorry if you like saionji, im not trying to be pissy toward him.. just throwing out how i sees em.) Saionji also brainwashes himself into believing Anthy really loves him. He is easy to fool... and he even fools himself!

Juri: (what a freaking character. I love her. but damn confusing as hell) She is the Alpha Female that knows it all, and knows she could kick anyone's ass. She is very hard and cold to the world and emotions around her. Her past has caused her to harden, and her personality only assists that. She was gravely hurt by her lover and...lover... (Shiori and Ruka...) ((to be honest, not quite so sure on this whole juri relationship(s) thing... i thought she loved ruka then shiori took him from her,... i mean.. shit oh man this is another post for another time)) At any rate.. she was hurt by people she trusted, which caused her to be bitter and unbelieving in everyone and everything else. her confidence resides within her swordsmanship; but due to her loss and hurt, she has taken the I-dont-give-a-fuck attitude about her fencing skills, and simply runs the company while the big boss is gone. Juri desires something more...she wants to believe in the miracles but she puts up a shell (that she needs to crack damnit) to protect herself from pain.

Miki: The cute little musician that got thrown into this mess. Miki seems to be unfit for duels. He is shy, smart, and he really only seems to be "doing his job" with the council... not fully partaking in everything. (i mean really... what the fuck does the watch mean...) This kid is torn up about everything. He feels that he loves Anthy; however in all actuality he simply desires for her to take his sister's place at the keyboard.  He is still very immature.. and young... although smart, he still has some growin' up to do. Miki doesnt seem like he was developed as much as the other characters. Sure he's there, he has a story... but ... his contribution is very small. (But i still love him. hes so cute and funny haha)

Nanami: If anyone argues that Nanami doesn't love her brother too much... please re-watch the series. This girl is the spoiled sister of Touga.  (haha adopted little brat... duh, you arent related you dont have red freaking hair... blonde headed step child..) Nanami demands attention and her way. She feels that she knows it all, and no one can tell her different. She is the popularity queen (see: mean girls).  Her character is an example of a very immature individual who refuses to grow up... not because she knowledgeably doesnt want to... but because she doesn't understand the concepts of growing up! Nanami uses her attitude and position of power to keep all girls from her brother so that she could have him to herself. She is selfish and uncaring.... and has no desire to help others. Nanami becomes more of a comic relief than a fully developed character.

Chu Chu: Is a bad ass. Chu Chu for fucking president 08'

Shiori: she seems to be the drama queen.. she seeks attention... and seeks to hurt others. However, in her defense she has her head about her and is very very smart. Shit, you can't be dumb and do have the shit shiori does. Even though she is regarded as a minor character, i feel she holds a secret... and that makes her interesting... Her role is to torture Juri, and potentially keep her from becoming what she truly could be. (i also like her hair color. but.. whatever)

Wakaba: Utena's first friend at Ohtori (who doesnt get her own special hair color). She simply connects the "regulars" to the "specials" and provides a bridge and a meter on what the other students are thinking. She is very selfish and very whimsical. She is drawn to that which is "cool." Utena is the new cool thing on campus... then suddenly she changes pace and heads after saionji... then she talks about another hottie. She is very vocal about her opinions, and uses her friends for her own selfish goals. (Utena and Anthy live with Akio... Wakaba tries to move in by saying she knows anthy and whatever.. ((That really pissed me off...)) ) Wakaba is Utena's saving grace at times too... because when Utena falls down.. she slaps her right back up..



-------------

I know i ahvent covered everyone but its 5:30 am... and ive been writing for an hour. haha, this has been awesome. I feel so great being able to express this stuff emot-smile

Tell me what you think! throw me some feedback! Add more characters, hopefully it will grow... and i can use it in my final psych report this semester emot-biggrin


EDIT: Yeah... sorry that they get less and less ... depthy.. i got tired. haha

Hmm, I disagree with quite a bit of this, but it's always nice to read another person's opinions emot-keke Thanks for sharing. A poptart for thee. poptart


The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

Offline

 

#9 | Back to Top10-13-2008 02:25:27 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death
From: Austin, Tx
Registered: 09-29-2008
Posts: 506

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

you can't just disagree and not put in your 2 cents!!!!

The whole point of this is to learn other opinions.. and just... examine them emot-smile

Offline

 

#10 | Back to Top10-13-2008 10:54:58 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8730
Website

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

KissFromARose wrote:

(sounds like a certain singer whose initials are MJ and has neverland ranch.... ((or had... the ranch)) anyway...)

Between this and Jareth I'm going to stop wanting Akio. Can't we associate him with people I'm sexually interested in? emot-gonk

You could say though that he was abused as a child, in that child worker in Asia kind of way...


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#11 | Back to Top10-13-2008 11:19:42 AM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe
From: Montreal
Registered: 04-11-2008
Posts: 528

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

BlackRoseVixen wrote:

Hmm, I disagree with quite a bit of this, but it's always nice to read another person's opinions emot-keke Thanks for sharing. A poptart for thee. poptart

I don't disagree with it, I just think it's a fairly shallow interpretation.

To make just one point, I think it's very unfair and definitely untrue to say that Wakaba dumps Utena as soon as Saionji comes along. Wakaba never stops being friends with Utena. Their friendship is very different from her crush on Saionji, and in any case throughout the series she spends a lot more time with Utena than Saionji. Also, I don't think there was anything wrong with hanging around Utena and Anthy to get into Akio's good books. She *is* their friend, and whether or not that was a selfish thing to do, she wasn't hurting anyone by doing it.

Last edited by Mishi (10-13-2008 11:28:25 AM)

Offline

 

#12 | Back to Top10-13-2008 11:28:11 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
From: Cloudcuckooland
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 2506
Website

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

Giovanna wrote:

KissFromARose wrote:

(sounds like a certain singer whose initials are MJ and has neverland ranch.... ((or had... the ranch)) anyway...)

Between this and Jareth I'm going to stop wanting Akio. Can't we associate him with people I'm sexually interested in? emot-gonk

You could say though that he was abused as a child, in that child worker in Asia kind of way...

...Uhhh... maybe envision him as a mob boss of sorts, nicely dressed, Italian suit, with a certain student council as his hitmen. And of course, his requested favours are ALWAYS sexy.


I don't have much to say really, but-
I always assumed Touga and Nanami were both adopted, as perhaps brother and sister to begin with. The way Akio was telling Touga, to me, felt like they really were siblings, and Touga should fix it up.

Of course, having a normal hair colour could also mean she was originally a 'normal' person, and not one of the 'special people' and that Touga is what made her special, since she was supposedly like him.

(Actually, I always think of Touga as having black hair, as per the manga. But I DO know people with black hair that have very close blonde relatives.)


...I can always find two contradictory ways of going about things that make perfect sense to me, yes. emot-gonk


http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/leeness/Ruka--Juri-banner-1.png

Only a lemming must be concerned with the ends of the world.

Offline

 

#13 | Back to Top10-13-2008 02:29:54 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8730
Website

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

allegoriest wrote:

...Uhhh... maybe envision him as a mob boss of sorts, nicely dressed, Italian suit, with a certain student council as his hitmen. And of course, his requested favours are ALWAYS sexy.

So uh...someone's gonna draw me that, right? etc-wankgirl

allegoriest wrote:

I always assumed Touga and Nanami were both adopted, as perhaps brother and sister to begin with. The way Akio was telling Touga, to me, felt like they really were siblings, and Touga should fix it up.

Is kinda creepy we're never told whether Touga fesses up that they are related. That's a pretty big hole to leave hanging, and I'm inclined to assume no mention means no resolution. By the same token, Saionji probably knows the truth and how long before he eyerolls dramatically and spills the beans to Nanami?


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#14 | Back to Top10-13-2008 02:52:58 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
From: North Carolina
Registered: 11-17-2006
Posts: 5086
Website

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

allegoriest wrote:

I always assumed Touga and Nanami were both adopted, as perhaps brother and sister to begin with. The way Akio was telling Touga, to me, felt like they really were siblings, and Touga should fix it up.

Of course, having a normal hair colour could also mean she was originally a 'normal' person, and not one of the 'special people' and that Touga is what made her special, since she was supposedly like him.

I agree-- I know that in the dub, Touga actually says that he and Nanami are related by blood, but he chooses not to tell her. I believe that it is left rather ambiguous in the original, though. Still, I always thought that the two were definately biological siblings.

But in the vein of the second statement, I have never viewed Nanami as having a "normal" hair color. While yes, blonde is natural compared to pink and green and all these other strange colors, in Japan, Nanami would be considered quite exotic for having such light hair and eyes. SKU tends to stray away from realism a good portion of the time, but I've read many interpretations through the site that were reflections of Japanese society.

I suppose I'm just taking this at face value, though. I'm sure there is symbolism behind Nanami being one of the only main cast members with a natural hair color.

Last edited by dollface (10-13-2008 08:23:58 PM)


ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

Offline

 

#15 | Back to Top10-14-2008 01:15:59 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death
From: Austin, Tx
Registered: 09-29-2008
Posts: 506

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

Mishi wrote:

I don't disagree with it, I just think it's a fairly shallow interpretation.

I hope you understand i posed these as questions.. not exactly a full blown on opinion.. i was hoping to open discussion to further venture into the characters....

sorry if i offended anyone:(

Offline

 

#16 | Back to Top10-17-2008 10:30:59 AM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper
From: Budapest, Hungary
Registered: 06-24-2008
Posts: 54

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

Well, if people already disagreed with it, then let me just say:

The bit about Juris and Mikis interestingness is switched. Altough I could not explain why in a million years.
The bit about Saionji is*syntax error*
And what you wrote about Akio is just plain not true.

I really can't argue with the rest, mainly because I'm too stupid for emotions.

Also, ITT: people who think they know about Michael Jackson.


Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

Offline

 

#17 | Back to Top10-20-2008 05:03:09 PM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe
From: Montreal
Registered: 04-11-2008
Posts: 528

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

KissFromARose wrote:

Mishi wrote:

I don't disagree with it, I just think it's a fairly shallow interpretation.

I hope you understand i posed these as questions.. not exactly a full blown on opinion.. i was hoping to open discussion to further venture into the characters....

sorry if i offended anyone:(

I wasn't trying to imply that there was anything offensive in what you said. I was actually just trying to start a discussion, as you hoped for...

Offline

 

#18 | Back to Top12-18-2010 10:03:23 AM

Gainel
Rose Bride
Registered: 07-08-2010
Posts: 116

Re: The Ultimate Psychological Study of SKU Characters!

I for one, think the color-coding part of the show is very interesting. Most of the characters have a hair color that is associated with one of the seven deadly sins.

Touga- Lust. I know his hair is red, and the color of Lust is blue, but since the sin associated with red is Wrath and that doesn't fit him at all, well...
And you have to admit, lust is pretty much his entire life, besides his love for Utena and his messed up relationships with the rest of the cast.

Saionji- Envy. Fits him perfectly, since he is always hating on Touga for being better than him. Poor Kyouichi.

Juri- Gluttony. Hmm, this can be a little iffy when taken in the literal sense, because Juri sometimes looks anorexic... but she is always off pining for Shiori, and I wouldn't call that avarice because, well, all she wants is Shiori. But she doesn't NEED Shiori, as proved by Ruka by the end of the series. So wanting more than what you need? Mhm.

Miki- Sloth. His hair color is light blue. (If you want to go with the game logic here, then Chigusa would be Sloth and Miki would be Lust, but that would be...weird. True, it could be claimed that Miki 'lusts' after Anthy, but he is so naive and innocent that it's a bit difficult to describe his feelings for her that way.) Most of the time it doesn't seem like this sin really fits Miki - his biggest shortcoming is just his naivete - but I would just like to point out that at his level of intellect, he COULD be a lot farther along than he is now...which shows that he is being at least a little lazy when it comes to fulfilling his potential.

Utena- There is no sin associated with the color pink, unfortunately. But if I had to fit her with a sin, I would say 'blindness'. She chooses to see the world in a certain way, and tends to ignore almost everyone's shortcomings. And it's her choice, too- she could have recognized Akio for what he was, but didn't.

Anthy- Anthy's hair color is purple, which is associated with Pride. She is very proud - and has the right to be, since she's technically royalty - but I think Wrath sort of fits her too, since she is so embittered and angry. I'm not taking this from her hair, just her dress. All in all I'd say she and Akio share the same sin, which is fitting since they're siblings. But Anthy does sort of humble herself at the end, when she leaves Ohtori.

Akio- Akio's hair color is lavender, which i'm sticking with purple- meaning that his sin is Pride. I really don't think I need to explain this one. I could say that Anthy is Pride and Akio is Wrath, but Akio really isn't all that angry. He likes to manipulate people and mess with their lives, but he's not doing it out of hatred, just boredom and force of habit (have you forgotten he's been doing this for several hundred years at least?).


Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it on a fruit salad.

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement