You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

HOLY SHIT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH WE'RE GETTING AN UTENA EXHIBITION RIGHT NOW

THEY. ARE. MAKING. A. NEW. MUSICAL. NEXT. YEAR. START LOSING YOUR SHIT RIGHT NOW

#26 | Back to Top04-01-2007 08:22:54 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
From: Minami Goushuu
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 14280
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

satyreyes wrote:

UTENA THUMBNAIL RIPOFF THEATER - EPISODE NINETEEN

http://satyreyes.googlepages.com/theydo … fornothing

Just for making that you win some internet brownies emot-keke

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/brownies.jpg


http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/DooDah.jpg

Offline

 

#27 | Back to Top04-01-2007 08:30:55 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
From: New Orleans, Louisiana
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 10328
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

Tamago wrote:

Just for making that you win some internet brownies emot-keke

Yay!  I like Internet brownies!  I don't think I quite did justice to Isako's originals, but I definitely deserve Internet brownies.

Offline

 

#28 | Back to Top04-01-2007 08:40:10 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
From: Minami Goushuu
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 14280
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

satyreyes wrote:

Tamago wrote:

Just for making that you win some internet brownies emot-keke

Yay!  I like Internet brownies!  I don't think I quite did justice to Isako's originals, but I definitely deserve Internet brownies.

And the best thing is atht iBrownies don't end up going to your thighs emot-keke


http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/DooDah.jpg

Offline

 

#29 | Back to Top04-02-2007 07:04:41 AM

Hysterical Woman
Touga Topper
From: Maryland
Registered: 03-02-2007
Posts: 50
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

satyreyes wrote:

Episode 19

I was actually fooled by the Wakaba/Tatsuya romance thing. Also, I don't like Tatsuya. "The guy she likes instead of me must be bad (though I have no proof) and he's going to have Teh Sex with her, but I'm going to love her even though she's a big slut." Ugh.


"So you should crossdress and help people.” And she did.

Offline

 

#30 | Back to Top04-02-2007 11:26:10 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
From: New Orleans, Louisiana
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 10328
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

Hysterical Woman wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Episode 19

I was actually fooled by the Wakaba/Tatsuya romance thing. Also, I don't like Tatsuya. "The guy she likes instead of me must be bad (though I have no proof) and he's going to have Teh Sex with her, but I'm going to love her even though she's a big slut." Ugh.

I was fooled too, but I have no excuse emot-smile  Wakaba is pretty clear about her feelings.  I think I mostly assumed she wanted him because in every other anime in the world, when childhood friends are set up like this they end up getting together.  But Utena is not every other anime, and Wakaba doesn't have the moderate capacity for self-deceit required to love someone while believing she hates them.  Even with Saionji, she's conscious of both competing emotions.

I like Tatsuya, though I dislike his duplicity.  He's certainly presumptuous in believing that he's Wakaba's prince and that therefore this other guy must be a prick, but this is a sin of which only people with the capacity for devotion are guilty.  (And I certainly don't remember him calling Wakaba a slut.)  Above all, I like him for the reason he makes the elevator go up: he loves Wakaba.  He doesn't love-hate her, he doesn't obsess over her, he doesn't want to hurt her, he doesn't resent her; he loves her.  How many people in this show -- how many people in the world -- can say something similar?

Last edited by satyreyes (04-02-2007 11:27:14 AM)

Offline

 

#31 | Back to Top04-02-2007 11:32:38 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
From: Singapore
Registered: 02-21-2007
Posts: 6340
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

satyreyes wrote:

Hysterical Woman wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Episode 19

I was actually fooled by the Wakaba/Tatsuya romance thing. Also, I don't like Tatsuya. "The guy she likes instead of me must be bad (though I have no proof) and he's going to have Teh Sex with her, but I'm going to love her even though she's a big slut." Ugh.

I was fooled too, but I have no excuse emot-smile  Wakaba is pretty clear about her feelings.  I think I mostly assumed she wanted him because in every other anime in the world, when childhood friends are set up like this they end up getting together.  But Utena is not every other anime, and Wakaba doesn't have the moderate capacity for self-deceit required to love someone while believing she hates them.  Even with Saionji, she's conscious of both competing emotions.

I like Tatsuya, though I dislike his duplicity.  He's certainly presumptuous in believing that he's Wakaba's prince and that therefore this other guy must be a prick, but this is a sin of which only people with the capacity for devotion are guilty.  (And I certainly don't remember him calling Wakaba a slut.)  Above all, I like him for the reason he makes the elevator go up: he loves Wakaba.  He doesn't love-hate her, he doesn't obsess over her, he doesn't want to hurt her, he doesn't resent her; he loves her.  How many people in this show -- how many people in the world -- can say something similar?

Definitely not me. But I'm definitely going to watch that episode again because I did not notice that the elevator is going up... sometimes when things are moving too fast downward, they'd look like they're going up.
I'm just happy that he's still with her even at the end of the series, even though there's a possibility that he won't have a chance with her.

Offline

 

#32 | Back to Top04-03-2007 01:39:25 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
From: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Registered: 10-15-2006
Posts: 6018
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

satyreyes wrote:

(And I certainly don't remember him calling Wakaba a slut.)

Tatsuya:  I'm sure he'll do all sorts of bad things to her, like... or... or even...
Tatsuya:  But it's okay. No matter how much of her purity she'll lose, she'll come back to me.

I think it's a bit oversensitive to say he calls her a slut or thinks of her that way, but the implication is there. It's one of those passive-aggressive nice guy things from that article I posted in IFD a while back about why nice guys don't get girlfriends. That's not to say Tatsuya exhibits this... that's just to say that some people would mean 'she's a slut' when they said those words.

Also, Thumbnail Theater is to win. emot-biggrin


Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Offline

 

#33 | Back to Top04-03-2007 01:55:47 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
From: New Orleans, Louisiana
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 10328
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

Yasha wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

(And I certainly don't remember him calling Wakaba a slut.)

Tatsuya:  I'm sure he'll do all sorts of bad things to her, like... or... or even...
Tatsuya:  But it's okay. No matter how much of her purity she'll lose, she'll come back to me.

I think it's a bit oversensitive to say he calls her a slut or thinks of her that way, but the implication is there. It's one of those passive-aggressive nice guy things from that article I posted in IFD a while back about why nice guys don't get girlfriends. That's not to say Tatsuya exhibits this... that's just to say that some people would mean 'she's a slut' when they said those words.

This never even occurred to me the first time I saw this scene emot-smile  You're right that he could mean that, and I think you're also right that he should be given the benefit of the doubt on this.  The translation also affects things.  I'm not a very good Japanese speaker, but I think the verb Tatsuya uses in "no matter how much of her purity she'll lose" is "kegareru," which I believe would be more accurately translated as "no matter how much she may be defiled" or "no matter how much of her purity is taken."  It seems to me that the slut connotation is less strong under this interpretation.

Yasha wrote:

Also, Thumbnail Theater is to win. emot-biggrin

I'm glad you like it!  emot-dance

Last edited by satyreyes (04-03-2007 01:57:51 AM)

Offline

 

#34 | Back to Top04-03-2007 02:02:43 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
From: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Registered: 10-15-2006
Posts: 6018
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

satyreyes wrote:

This never even occurred to me the first time I saw this scene emot-smile  You're right that he could mean that, and I think you're also right that he should be given the benefit of the doubt on this.  The translation also affects things.  I'm not a very good Japanese speaker, but I think the verb Tatsuya uses in "no matter how much of her purity she'll lose" is "kegareru," which I believe would be more accurately translated as "no matter how much she may be defiled" or "no matter how much of her purity is taken."  It seems to me that the slut connotation is less strong under this interpretation.

You're a much better Japanese speaker than I, so I'll trust your interpretation. Those are the old Encyclopedia scripts I'm quoting from... I should check the 'official' version to see if it's translated differently.

satyreyes wrote:

I'm glad you like it!  emot-dance

Are you going to resurrect the Theatre, or just amusing yourself? Because it suddenly struck me that something like this might make a good forum project. emot-keke


Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Offline

 

#35 | Back to Top04-03-2007 02:13:52 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
From: New Orleans, Louisiana
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 10328
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

Yasha wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

LOOK I CAN SPEAK "NIHONGO"

You're a much better Japanese speaker than I, so I'll trust your interpretation. Those are the old Encyclopedia scripts I'm quoting from... I should check the 'official' version to see if it's translated differently.

I really like the "official" translation.  The translators, writing for a mass audience, made the excellent stylistic choice of sacrificing word-for-word accuracy for more natural-sounding Gestalt dialogue.  The downside, of course, is that some of the nuances are lost, so you don't want to read too much into the choice of words.

Yasha wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

I'm glad you like it!  emot-dance

Are you going to resurrect the Theatre, or just amusing yourself? Because it suddenly struck me that something like this might make a good forum project. emot-keke

Very much just amusing myself emot-smile  I may write more, but I would love to see some sort of forum collaboration!  How would we do it?

Offline

 

#36 | Back to Top04-03-2007 02:17:08 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
From: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Registered: 10-15-2006
Posts: 6018
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

Not sure. Give me a while to think on it... like a few weeks because I can never seem to get anything done anymore emot-mad I have half written posts started weeks ago that I haven't posted... nevermind the cooking thread and other stuff I took pictures for a while back...

PM me if you have an idea, and I'll do the same. Same for anyone else who likes the idea of collaborating on a Thumbnail Theatre tribute.


Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Offline

 

#37 | Back to Top04-03-2007 07:48:12 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
From: Waiting at the window.
Registered: 10-21-2006
Posts: 3301
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

Umm...

I hope you SKU movie lovers don't kill me, but I'm in the midst of re-dubbing the SKU movie (or SKUvie as I like to call it...) in a very unusual manner.

It's going to RAWK!

Really... it is...


http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

Offline

 

#38 | Back to Top04-03-2007 04:30:43 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
From: Minami Goushuu
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 14280
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

hyacinth_black wrote:

Umm...

I hope you SKU movie lovers don't kill me, but I'm in the midst of re-dubbing the SKU movie (or SKUvie as I like to call it...) in a very unusual manner.

It's going to RAWK!

Really... it is...

Just as long as it has some clever oneliners and if you use a distorter to modify your voice, make sure we can understand what your dub is saying...unless you plan on having a Kenny soundalike in it. emot-biggrin


http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/DooDah.jpg

Offline

 

#39 | Back to Top04-10-2007 02:00:54 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master
From: Yuma, Arizona (USA)
Registered: 11-26-2006
Posts: 8280

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

Giovanna wrote:

Saionji: Dammit, when I don't get my hugs, I get grumpy. And when I get grumpy, I feel the need to KICK SOME ASS!

This jokefic just inadvertently completely summarized series Saionji.

And thanks for reminding me of this fic! This line is now one of my Email signatures.


Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

Offline

 

#40 | Back to Top04-10-2007 07:42:19 PM

Himemiya's Coffin
Miki Molester
From: Boring Ohio :(
Registered: 04-01-2007
Posts: 36
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

"Too oblivious, insufficiently passive-aggressive.  You fail at evil. "

This line is win etc-love


http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i60/shuttergirl88/Utena/signature4.jpg

Don't be afraid of this world where we can meet.

Offline

 

#41 | Back to Top04-10-2007 11:50:01 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
From: New Orleans, Louisiana
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 10328
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

It's time, once again, for

UTENA THUMBNAIL RIPOFF THEATER!

Episode 20 - Wakaba Hath Flourished Verdantly

Go enjoy yourself!

Last edited by satyreyes (04-10-2007 11:50:27 PM)

Offline

 

#42 | Back to Top04-10-2007 11:58:43 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
From: North Carolina
Registered: 11-17-2006
Posts: 5086
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

satyreyes wrote:

It's time, once again, for

UTENA THUMBNAIL RIPOFF THEATER!

Episode 20 - Wakaba Hath Flourished Verdantly

Go enjoy yourself!

OH MY GOD. Chibiusa in there did it for me, but somehow I controlled my laughter enough to read on and see Ruka as Ikuhara.

I'm so glad YamPuff got these for us, because you have won 1,400 poptarts.


ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

Offline

 

#43 | Back to Top04-11-2007 06:59:16 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
From: Minami Goushuu
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 14280
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

Episode 20 thumbnails rate:
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/th_Vindaloo_Prune.jpg http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/th_Vindaloo_Prune.jpg http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/th_Vindaloo_Prune.jpg http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/th_Vindaloo_Prune.jpg etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Last edited by Tamago (04-11-2007 07:00:47 AM)


http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/DooDah.jpg

Offline

 

#44 | Back to Top04-11-2007 07:49:33 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
From: Estonia
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 2510
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

You have Ruka/Ikuhara there! emot-biggrin

poptart for you. etc-love


The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

Offline

 

#45 | Back to Top04-11-2007 09:04:09 AM

Pandora
Pathtracer
Registered: 04-05-2007
Posts: 351

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

You deserve several internets for that. I loved Ruka/Ikuhara in there and the poptarts reference. AWesome! poptart

Offline

 

#46 | Back to Top04-11-2007 10:16:23 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess
From: Tallahassee, Fl
Registered: 10-19-2006
Posts: 4632

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

I'm reading it right now. "No, You can't have my poptarts."

FUCKING DIED. A BILLION INTERNETS FOR YOU.

Also Ikuhara as Ruka. A billion more internets.

...oh god, I'm laughing so much it hurts! poptart poptart poptart poptart


The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

Offline

 

#47 | Back to Top04-11-2007 10:31:37 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8730
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

ANTHY: But it’s my only line!

Ahahahahaha holy shit. I did love that about those episodes, like 'HAY TOKEN SHOT OF ANTHY, ok moving on' poptart

And the choice of shot for Ruka was perfect. That expression of pity.


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#48 | Back to Top04-11-2007 11:32:02 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
From: New Orleans, Louisiana
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 10328
Website

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

The joke I don't expect anyone to get is:

WAKABA: You used to be *my* pimp!
SAIONJI: That was then.  Anthy’s my ho now.

This is a nearly word-for-word quote of a scene from Thumbnail Theater Episode 2, when it read:

SAIONJI: You used to be *my* ho!
ANTHY: That was then.  Utena’s my pimp now.

Offline

 

#49 | Back to Top04-12-2007 10:29:19 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess
Registered: 04-09-2007
Posts: 2788

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

I may need to find an editing bay just to cut the movie up along to a dramatic reading of that speed-through.

And the new thumnail theatre's thumbnails... That's not a very happy thumbnail of Wakaba.  So sad.  So sad indeed.


My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Offline

 

#50 | Back to Top04-13-2007 05:32:39 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1
From: Sacramento, CA
Registered: 10-22-2006
Posts: 8858

Re: The Satellite of Revolution... the Thumbnail Theater

I love. You win a pop-tart. poptart


Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement