You are not logged in.

Gougai! Gougai!

Hey, all! Nozomi has asked that we let them know about any translation issues we have with the Black Rose Saga-- please either post in this thread or send an email/pm to Yasha! We are collecting issues until Friday, and we will have another week after that to decide what to do about them.

#1 | Back to Top10-29-2006 07:10:52 PM

Alarm
Wakaba Wrangler
From: Atlanta
Registered: 10-29-2006
Posts: 12
Website

Utena fanart!

Um... I looked through this thread, and didn't find one so.... I hope this is okay to post!

Post your Utena fanart here, and cha!!!! Here's mine:


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/shojomecha/scan0006.jpg


Fire * Soul * Love

Offline

 

#2 | Back to Top10-29-2006 11:18:18 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
From: California
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 145
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

'-' nice..marker and color pencil? the best markers i ever use was prisma colors but the bleed like hell on normal paper but if it is on like manga boards then its awsome

mine are all in my little spot in the fanart section of the ohtori.nu

but i got other random work on my DA
Chu...

man i feel like drawing something now -.-....geeze but i got hw...maybe later


Chu chuu CHU!!!!

Offline

 

#3 | Back to Top10-29-2006 11:53:34 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
From: Estonia
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 2510
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

Some of my stuff is on Empty Movement too. And then there are also some old pics which I'm not too fond of:

Chu... - ChuChu
Chu... - my first Utena fanart ever!
Chu... - Utena
Chu... - Utena/Anthy

I swear, the next ones will be better! And I will draw something else beside Utena/Anthy next time.


The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

Offline

 

#4 | Back to Top10-30-2006 02:04:36 AM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
From: California
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 145
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

UtenaFanGirl wrote:

man i feel like drawing something now -.-....geeze but i got hw...maybe later

lol when i said i feel like drawing....i did..here ya go my doodle cause i felt like drawing
Chu...


Chu chuu CHU!!!!

Offline

 

#5 | Back to Top10-30-2006 02:49:16 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1
From: Sacramento, CA
Registered: 10-22-2006
Posts: 8858

Re: Utena fanart!

Maarika wrote:

Some of my stuff is on Empty Movement too. And then there are also some old pics which I'm not too fond of:

Chu... - ChuChu
Chu... - my first Utena fanart ever!
Chu... - Utena
Chu... - Utena/Anthy

I swear, the next ones will be better! And I will draw something else beside Utena/Anthy next time.

Aw, we love Utena/Anthy. At least, "we" as in the "royal We."


Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

Offline

 

#6 | Back to Top10-30-2006 03:49:59 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer
From: Croatia
Registered: 10-28-2006
Posts: 1120

Re: Utena fanart!

Chu...

Obviously, it's not enough that Juri got tormented by Shiori. Now she has an amateur artist using her as a victim of drawing gone wrong. Yes, I'm self-critical like that. :3

Offline

 

#7 | Back to Top10-30-2006 03:57:29 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1
From: Sacramento, CA
Registered: 10-22-2006
Posts: 8858

Re: Utena fanart!

Aw, it's cute! She looks so broody.


Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

Offline

 

#8 | Back to Top10-30-2006 04:27:32 AM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
From: California
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 145
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

wrote:

ArkiObviously, it's not enough that Juri got tormented by Shiori. Now she has an amateur artist using her as a victim of drawing gone wrong. Yes, I'm self-critical like that. :3

all artist are harsh on themselves when criticing...its how we get better by wanting to improve and not make things look like crap...XD i can like show you alll the mistakes i did on my pictures and totally degrade all my pics cause they are utter crap to me

so keep on drawing to improve!


Chu chuu CHU!!!!

Offline

 

#9 | Back to Top10-30-2006 08:01:25 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
From: Minnesota, USA
Registered: 10-18-2006
Posts: 53
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

UtenaFanGirl wrote:

'the best markers i ever use was prisma colors but the bleed like hell on normal paper but if it is on like manga boards then its awsome

I like these markers the best too. It's also my favorite brand of colored pencil.

mine are all in my little spot in the fanart section of the ohtori.nu

but i got other random work on my DA
Chu...

That "Utena With Wings" is just lovely. Colored pencil?

Last edited by Suncat (10-30-2006 08:11:49 PM)


Laurie

Offline

 

#10 | Back to Top10-30-2006 08:16:01 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
From: Minnesota, USA
Registered: 10-18-2006
Posts: 53
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

Here's a somewhat recent one, of a size that should fit okay here:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6760/oekakicentral20050902uk9.gif

And here's the rest of the stuff, at my site:

Chu...

This odd little Utena+something else fusion gets its own art page:

Chu...


Laurie

Offline

 

#11 | Back to Top10-30-2006 11:28:15 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
From: California
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 145
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

Suncat wrote:

That "Utena With Wings" is just lovely. Colored pencil?

yeah that was color pencil..the regular crayola type...i do have another pic in the gallery "the last prince" i think i titled it is out of prisma color pencil


Chu chuu CHU!!!!

Offline

 

#12 | Back to Top10-31-2006 02:07:51 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
From: Estonia
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 2510
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Aw, we love Utena/Anthy. At least, "we" as in the "royal We."

I...don't think I get that. But I have another unfinished pic of them.
What I'd really like to do, is to make a few decent paintings of Akio/Anthy/Dios and Utena/Anthy/Dios, but I can't do that before the weekend 'cause I need money to get myself some acrylics.


Arki wrote:

Chu...

Obviously, it's not enough that Juri got tormented by Shiori. Now she has an amateur artist using her as a victim of drawing gone wrong. Yes, I'm self-critical like that. :3

I think there's nothing wrong with it.  But I think you should have inked it all though. ;D


Hey I've seen your drawings before, Suncat. They're very nice and different from most! I guess it's because of the style emot-keke
But it seems that everyone here can draw anime better than me.


The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

Offline

 

#13 | Back to Top10-31-2006 05:35:19 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer
From: Croatia
Registered: 10-28-2006
Posts: 1120

Re: Utena fanart!

Wow, kudos to all you artsy people. The pictures you've posted are really nice. n_n


UtenaFanGirl wrote:

all artist are harsh on themselves when criticing...its how we get better by wanting to improve and not make things look like crap...XD

Being critical of your work is helpfull, but it can get you into trouble aswell. A bit of advice: Don't go complaining about your 'bad' drawing to your friends that have drawn anime for a lot longer than you have, but are on the same skill level as you. Oops. :D

Maarika wrote:

But I think you should have inked it all though. ;D

It's never too late! o: *strikes a dramatic pose, as she takes of the lid of her Black Outline Pen* I was considering about it before, but it has happened too many times that I've ruined a picture by outlining it. Oh well...

Offline

 

#14 | Back to Top10-31-2006 02:01:10 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
From: California
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 145
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

Arki wrote:

Wow, kudos to all you artsy people. The pictures you've posted are really nice. n_n


Being critical of your work is helpfull, but it can get you into trouble aswell. A bit of advice: Don't go complaining about your 'bad' drawing to your friends that have drawn anime for a lot longer than you have, but are on the same skill level as you. Oops. emot-biggrin

lol i go to an art school...most of em are better then me


Chu chuu CHU!!!!

Offline

 

#15 | Back to Top10-31-2006 09:07:09 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
From: Minnesota, USA
Registered: 10-18-2006
Posts: 53
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

Maarika wrote:

Hey I've seen your drawings before, Suncat. They're very nice and different from most! I guess it's because of the style emot-keke

Thanks! I gotta ask--can you define "different from most" more? This is the first time anyone's said that about my anime fanart, and I'm really curious.

But it seems that everyone here can draw anime better than me.

I didn't start out drawing anime-style (as you can see on the other art pages at my site). Y'know what helped me learn the style? Direct copying. Like from manga (where you've got black-and-white line work) or the production sketches like in the Empty Movement gallery. Exact copying was the key to learning the distinct proportions used in the particular art style in Utena. Not claiming that I've mastered it, mind you, but I've definitely improved since I started drawing these characters.

And then confuse yourself by learning the art style from a different series or manga artist. Switching between Utena and say, Rumiko Takahashi's style is guaranteed to make your drawing hand confuzled.


Laurie

Offline

 

#16 | Back to Top10-31-2006 11:49:45 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
From: California
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 145
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

Suncat wrote:

I didn't start out drawing anime-style (as you can see on the other art pages at my site). Y'know what helped me learn the style? Direct copying. Like from manga (where you've got black-and-white line work) or the production sketches like in the Empty Movement gallery. Exact copying was the key to learning the distinct proportions used in the particular art style in Utena. Not claiming that I've mastered it, mind you, but I've definitely improved since I started drawing these characters.

And then confuse yourself by learning the art style from a different series or manga artist. Switching between Utena and say, Rumiko Takahashi's style is guaranteed to make your drawing hand confuzled.

yep that is how I learn..direct drawing..if you look in my begining of my gallery its full of direct drawing...and as you can see i did plenty of direct drawing of different anime soooooo i learn plenty of different styles!

but dont forget to learn anatomy XD that is what screwed me the most sooo get some figure drawing books and draw draw draw!


Chu chuu CHU!!!!

Offline

 

#17 | Back to Top11-01-2006 06:34:59 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
From: Minnesota, USA
Registered: 10-18-2006
Posts: 53
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

UtenaFanGirl wrote:

but dont forget to learn anatomy XD that is what screwed me the most sooo get some figure drawing books and draw draw draw!

Yesyesyes! What she said! Learn anatomy and then learn how it's stylized in anime and manga. Draw from life and photos too.


Laurie

Offline

 

#18 | Back to Top11-01-2006 07:18:31 PM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist
From: Kansas City
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 300

Re: Utena fanart!

Work in progress:
Chu...


"We want beans, not goals." - Anon.

Offline

 

#19 | Back to Top11-02-2006 12:36:40 AM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
From: California
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 145
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

cute lol i have to work on my tablet/photoshop skills stilll...


Chu chuu CHU!!!!

Offline

 

#20 | Back to Top11-02-2006 02:26:58 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
From: Estonia
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 2510
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

Suncat wrote:

Thanks! I gotta ask--can you define "different from most" more? This is the first time anyone's said that about my anime fanart, and I'm really curious.

Well, sometimes when I see someone's drawings I get a feeling that they're unique or one of a kind (though all art is), but sometimes I just sense it. I dunno why I get that feeling sometimes, it's weird. Sorry, I can't really explain myself!

Suncat wrote:

I didn't start out drawing anime-style (as you can see on the other art pages at my site). Y'know what helped me learn the style? Direct copying. Like from manga (where you've got black-and-white line work) or the production sketches like in the Empty Movement gallery. Exact copying was the key to learning the distinct proportions used in the particular art style in Utena. Not claiming that I've mastered it, mind you, but I've definitely improved since I started drawing these characters.

And then confuse yourself by learning the art style from a different series or manga artist. Switching between Utena and say, Rumiko Takahashi's style is guaranteed to make your drawing hand confuzled.

Hmm, I see. I haven't tried copying 'cause I've never really liked the idea. I guess I'll see about it.
Or maybe I should take a look at some anime/manga tutorials.


The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

Offline

 

#21 | Back to Top11-02-2006 04:24:58 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer
From: Croatia
Registered: 10-28-2006
Posts: 1120

Re: Utena fanart!

Any drawing advice I might have, I picked up from experience or friends that are still lightyears ahead with their skill. Even though I value a unique style just as much as I value skill, I don't think tracing or observing another's style is bad. When I trace, I see it as a way to get a feeling of how the curves and lines go. (I don't post any traces though. I throw them away.) Also, it's preperation for the next phase when you observe the style. I usually do that so I could figure out which lines should be drawn in which order, to get the quickest and easiest way to draw it. Eh, it doesn't make much sense when presented so vaguely...

An example (a stupid one, but still an example). You don't start drawing your picture from the feet and work your way up to the head. Maybe someone does (oh my... :), but it seems as if that just makes things so much harder. Especialy if you're aiming for a specific pose. So drawing a basic skeleton and working your way with details on it seems much more easier, ne? Personaly, I always start with the head.

There is a quirk, however. It's the lack of your own style in it. But that's something one of my friends explained to me. She has a unique style that people recognize instantly (if they saw it before, of course) and the same person was telling me that she built it on observing other people's styles. The more you draw, the more some minor details start changing or you start adding bits of your own style into it and before you know it... You've got your own style, new & improved, but still not a copy of someone elses.

Of course, there's always exceptions and that is the reason why I'm still not too fond of anime. It just... Hmm.

Oops... Nobody asked for my opinion, did they? Sorry, I just had to get it out of my system. Perhaps some of it might help. In any case, I actually wanted to post some random scribble I drew recently and ask is there anything you see as 'could be fixed' before I go and outline -> color it?  Chu...

Offline

 

#22 | Back to Top11-02-2006 07:45:54 AM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
From: California
Registered: 10-17-2006
Posts: 145
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

Maarika wrote:

Hmm, I see. I haven't tried copying 'cause I've never really liked the idea. I guess I'll see about it.
Or maybe I should take a look at some anime/manga tutorials.

In truth, art is all about copying...people draw from what they see...what people draw is what life has influence on them

in how to draw books..what do they want you to do...copy what they do

its a process of learning...and in basic terms if you draw like 100 ovals trying to make the same size and shape...you probably wont make it the first time...but if you were to do 700 ovals lest say 100 per day of a week then you'd get better
It would be the same process with drawing a character...you draw a character..get a knowledge of how things flow and then you keep on doing it till it becomes secound nature and then you expand from there learning how to pose, gestures, anatomy

as long as you dont sell your copied work then that is when copying is a bad idea...

"the good ideas are taken from something, the best ideas are stolen" -My background teacher (mike tracy)

copying is a start...tracing is for beginners that is when you dont know how to space your drawing and draw lines

but yes if you were really want to draw...gotta get the "never like the copy idea" out cause that pretty what art is unless you want to do like "fine art" and be abstract then thats a little different cause that be all about emotions and how you "copy" your emotion down into paper/craft for the idea in your head to have substance


Chu chuu CHU!!!!

Offline

 

#23 | Back to Top11-02-2006 11:33:09 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps
From: Israel
Registered: 10-20-2006
Posts: 320

Re: Utena fanart!

Dematrah wrote:

Work in progress:
Chu...

Great job so far. I love the part it focuses on. The hair is so pretty, and for some reason, the first think I thought when I saw it was "Squeee, so cute!". I think it's the ear. It's a really cute ear.

Offline

 

#24 | Back to Top11-02-2006 11:36:38 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Forum
From: Edmonton, AB
Registered: 10-12-2006
Posts: 8662
Website

Re: Utena fanart!

Dematrah wrote:

Work in progress:
Chu...

Hey, that's really neat. Such an unusual angle to work from and yet somehow it suits her. The style is very much your own, too. emot-smile


Also, do thou wear thine suits and cuffs, be thee male or no, for such attire doth please my girl parts. - Gios 3:15
Chiefest of Calamities

Offline

 

#25 | Back to Top11-02-2006 04:50:33 PM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist
From: Kansas City
Registered: 10-16-2006
Posts: 300

Re: Utena fanart!

Hina the Prince wrote:

Dematrah wrote:

Work in progress:
Chu...

Great job so far. I love the part it focuses on. The hair is so pretty, and for some reason, the first think I thought when I saw it was "Squeee, so cute!". I think it's the ear. It's a really cute ear.

I loved drawing it. The idea came to me one night RIGHT in the middle of a D&D game. XDD
YAY EARS! emot-dance

Giovanna wrote:

Hey, that's really neat. Such an unusual angle to work from and yet somehow it suits her. The style is very much your own, too. emot-smile

The Art Institute didn't seem to think my style was developed enough. emot-gonk
I think my mind was trying to give me my own version of the scene where Juri is looking up toward the castle when it starts raining after her last battle with Utena where her locket shattered. I love that shot SO MUCH. emot-redface


"We want beans, not goals." - Anon.

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB 1.2.23
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB
Forum styled and maintained by Giovanna and Yasha
Return to Empty Movement